Unable to get auto stack to put JPgs on top of stack.

Started by ncartwright, November 06, 2015, 08:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncartwright

My workflow includes developing  CR2 RAW files in a RAW converter and then creating Jpg files.  The jpgs sit in the same folder using the same file name as the CR2 files.  I am trying to use the auto stack feature to stack all appropriate jpg files with the companion CR2 files and have the jpg file on top of the stack.  I am sure I am missing something but what ever I try the CR2 files alway appear on top of the stack.  Any sugestions how to get auto stacking to put the jpg files on top of the stacks?

Neil

Mario

How do you configure auto stack? Which criteria do you use?
The first file that matches your criteria will always become the stack top.
You can change the stack top later with <Shift>+<T> or the corresponding menu commands.

If you setup versioning (JPEGs as versions of the CR2), the CR2 will be the master and thus be the top of the stack as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on November 08, 2015, 09:53:48 AM
How do you configure auto stack? Which criteria do you use?
The first file that matches your criteria will always become the stack top.
You can change the stack top later with <Shift>+<T> or the corresponding menu commands.

If you setup versioning (JPEGs as versions of the CR2), the CR2 will be the master and thus be the top of the stack as well.

Do you speak from stacks or version stacks?

If you mean the auto-stacking, then you can also enable the "Make file with highest rating top of stack".
I do this and it works great (I do the auto-stacking based on an xmp-field).

If you mean the version-stack, then you should also read about "Visual Proxies".
And if you mean this "version stacks", then there is also an open feature request from me, about what is on the top of a stack:

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=1614.msg19094#msg19094

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

ncartwright

Hi, I did not manage to get auto stacking to put Jpg files on to what ever I tried however I did manage to solve my issue using versioning.  Having recently started working with CR2 files again after using DNgs for a few years I wanted to display the output from my RAW converter in a stack and not hthe base RAW file.  Playing around with versioning I found that I could get the Jpg image displayed instead of the CR2 which works great.

I should have researched better and would have used versioning instead of trying to do the using stacks which would have saved me a lot of time.

Neil

Mario

In typical 'RAW original and derivative images' scenarios, versions are the best way go go. Making whatever file you consider as the true rendition of the CR2 file visual proxy image will make the version stack look exactly like you want.

Stacking is independent from specific file relations, and better suited to stack similar images of the same sequence (e.g., a specific pose, grouping or scene). Stacking is great when you take several shots of the same motive or of a motive from the same angle. While culling you pick the best shot and hide the other shots under it using a stack. This cleans up the file window but still retains the other images.

Versioning and stacking are concepts IMatch offers, and different users use them in different ways. IMatch is designed to fit into your workflow and not the other way round.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook