Strange description in English and German

Started by ovrevid, August 01, 2013, 11:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ovrevid

Hi, Mario

See PTR_MDCONTAINER_PANEL_TT_EDITMODE_MAPPED in imatch5res_str.xml

English text: This field is mapped to an XMP field and cannot be edited directly. Please update the corresponding XMP field instead.
German text: Dieses Feld ist mit einem XMP-Feld verbunden und kann nicht direkt bearbeitet werden. Bitte bearbeiten Sie das korrespondierende XMP-Feld statt dessen.

Maybe I'm slow, but this doesn't make sense to me. Should XMP in the first sentence be EXIF?

Which leads to another question: If you changes some text in the English or German translation, how are the other translators supposed to know that something has changed?
A possible solution might be that you could just erase translations for the other languages so that it pops up in the list of untranslated resourses. Do you have a another/better idea?

br
Vidar
-- Vidar

Mario

The meaning is that IMatch does not allow you to change metadata in EXIF/IPTC fields which are mapped to an XMP field - because you should only update the XMP field and let IMatch automatically update the corresponding EXIF / IPTC data when the file is updated. This is to ensure that MWG rules are applied and that changes you make to EXIF / IPTC data are not accidentally overwritten by IMatch when it saves XMP data.

QuoteWhich leads to another question: If you changes some text in the English or German translation, how are the other translators supposed to know that something has changed?

SVN/Tortoise allows you to compare different versions of the resource files. Which allows you to see which resources have been added by me, or which existing resources have changed (e.g. when I change the English/German resource in order to incorporate changes made in a new revision).

Select the file in Windows Explorer, then SVN > Show Log.
In the log you see all revisions (versions) of the file. You can compare your local version with one of the revisions in the repo by right-clicking and then "Compare with Working Copy".

When you select two revisions in the repo, you can make SVN produce a Diff, which shows the differences between the revisions site-by-side. For example, if you compare the version marked with 5.0.104 with the 5.0.102 you can see if and which changes I made, and if these impact your translations.

I only update SVN when I ship a new version. Before I do that, I merge all changes checked in by you and other translators into my local copy. I always use the build number as the check in comment. I don't want to start with branching and stuff, this would over-complicate things.

Just deleting the existing translations so they show up in the Resource Manager > List resources without translations in order to bring them to the attention of translators is a bit hard, because it erases your and others work. I did that in some important cases, or where changes made to existing functionality completely voided the translation. But usually I rely on the Diff mechanism and let the system do the work for us.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ovrevid

At least I was on the right track! So I think the text would be easier to decifre if it's changed to this:

This field is mapped to an IPTC/EXIF field and cannot be edited directly. Please update the corresponding XMP field instead.

About SVN/Tortoise: You're absolutely right, of course. I'll read up and learn to use the tools properly  :-[

Vidar
-- Vidar

Mario

QuoteThis field is mapped to an IPTC/EXIF field and cannot be edited directly. Please update the corresponding XMP field instead.

The text is shown for IPTC/EXIF tags if they are mapped to an XMP tag. I think the original wording "This tag is mapped to an XMP tag..." is correct.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ovrevid

-- Vidar

Mario

If you have a better wording, I'm all ears.

The text is shown when the user attempts to change an EXIF or IPTC field which is locked because it is "filled" from an XMP field automatically. A similar text is shown in a tooltip when the user points at such a field. I added this text for users who wonder about the locked icon and why it is shown (people never read the help file until there is absolutely no other chance, and then they are annoyed because they cannot quickly find what they are looking for  ;) ).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator