Image Descriptions missing

Started by Aubrey, April 13, 2015, 09:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I have reviewed some files and find in the default metadata panel that the image description is missing.

The parameter for this, labelled "Description Writer" in the "Default" panel (looking at metadata on the right side of IMatch) is: {File.MD.XMP::photoshop\CaptionWriter\CaptionWriter\0}

If I go to the Metadata panel labelled "Browser", I can find another "Description" under the section "XMP Dublin Core" the parameter used here is:
{File.MD.XMP::dc\description\Description\0}

Many of my images have a description under the latter tab. I don't remember ever going to this "Browser" to input a description.

Have there been changes made to IMatch, such that the description parameter in the default tab has changed?

I now have recent  files with a description written with the "Description Writer" and earlier files with a description written under "Description"

In order to see my originally written descriptions I have added File.MD.XMP::dc\description\Description\0 to the default, however, I dislike changing something that is supposed to be default.

Is there a simple way to move all to one of the descriptions?

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Carlo Didier

"Description Writer" (or "Caption Writer") is meant to hold the name of the person who wrote the description in the "Description" field. That's two different informations.
Example:
"Description": "Sunrise on the Quiraing, Isle of Skye"
"Description Writer": "Carlo Didier"

Aubrey

Carlo,
That makes sense!

Then why is description not in the default metadata, I think it used to be. Is this only in my setup or do others have the same issue?

It looks like I was writing description in Description Writer as the panel was not sufficiently wide to see the word writer  :(

Aubrey.

Mario

Then your left column must have been very small indeed.

Tip: the blue info icon shows additional info about the tag, and the tooltip that pops up when you point at a tag name in the MD panel shows the fully qualified tag name.

Tip: You can copy the contents from DescriptionWriter to Description using a Metadata Template if you need to do that for more than a few files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Mario,
To close out the issue!
I am using larger than default fonts so Description Writer appeared as Description...
Looks like something got corrupted in my default metadata panel (I must have deleted something  :-\ ) and so it was missing items from the default, I have now reloaded the default sent with IMatch ( see my workflow on this, below)
I will simply cut'n'paste Description Writer to Description on files which are incorrect.

My workflow to load the default sent with IMatch:
1. Go to C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\config
2. Rename imatch5.pts to imatch5.pts_150414 (purpose here is to remove the current pts file this configures the current user layout etc.)
3. Load IMatch, and database being used (the default panels sent with IMatch release will now be loaded)
4. Export the Metadata panel (go to gear wheel at top of metadata panel, select edit , then export panel layouts -  to an appropriate file)
5. Close IMatch
6. Go to C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\config
7. Rename imatch5.pts_150414 to imatch5.pts (purpose is to replace pts file)
8. Load IMatch and database being used
9. Import the Metadata panel from file previously exported (I used the option replace)

It would be nice to have a "load default" available in metadata panel; a nice to have, but very low on priority list so won't bother to document as enhancement.  ;D

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

Just load the "system.immdl", which has all the default layouts. You can see this when you use the Import Layout command.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Mario,
Great information !
However, now looking in the help file I can find no mention of the Imatch presets folder, perhaps my search criteria was not good  :( . There are many great files here to allow resetting different setups to default  :) .

This information will most likely be most useful. Extension mnemonics of the files I will work out as I go along.

Thank you for this tip.

Aubrey.

Mario

All file dialogs used in IMatch to import data, templates, presets etc. default to the common preset folder as configured in Edit > Preferences > Application. This means that when you use these dialogs and you have not switched them to another folder (the dialogs remember the last used folder you have used to load / save files), all presets, templates etc. I ship with IMatch will be there.

Usually these files are only needed once, when the database is created.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator