Batch-renaming files in a different software - how to keep attr & categories?

Started by Olga, March 23, 2015, 04:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olga

Hello,
I have a huge  work database, and many file-sets require renaming for work process optimization.
It is easier to batch-rename them in a different software.
When I do so, I lose all attributes and categories assigned to my files in IMatch.
Apparently, IMatch doesn't recognize them anymore.
What settings in IMatch should I change, so that it would recognize my files after they are renamed?
I assume, I have to change a certain setting, so that the files are managed in database not by filename, but, let's say, by EXIF info (time of original)?
I can't find it.
I have already tried the following:
commands - manage relations - file relations - link via
"file name" substituted with "exif timestamp" ,
but it didn't help. All attributes and categories were still lost after renaming.
I will appreciate your help,
Olga

Mario

QuoteIt is easier to batch-rename them in a different software.
This is a no-no, really. Please see the help on File Management and especially Relocate for details.

IMatch is a DAM. You manage your files with it. If you start moving and renaming files contained in your DAM database with external software, you are creating yourself a nightmare. This is not how DAM systems are supposed to be used. I suggest you use the very flexible and capable Renamer in IMatch itself to do your renaming.

QuoteApparently, IMatch doesn't recognize them anymore.
Naturally.  How should IMatch know that you have renamed your files in another software? And to what? And where?

IMatch just recognizes that files in your database cannot be found anymore in the file system, and flags them as off-line.  This does not harm. Unless you manually rescan the folder with the off-line files, which removes these files from the database, including all associated data.

What you should do is to use the Relocate command (Right-click the file, Additional Commands > Relocate File) to tell IMatch where you have moved/renamed the file. IMatch then updates the database record to point to the new file name, the file comes on-line again and no data is removed.

But Relocate (also available for folders) is only a last resort command. It allows you to bring you DAM system up-to-date with changes you have accidentally made in another software - for example when you accidentally changed a file name in Windows Explorer or you moved a file. Such operations break most DAM systems, but in IMatch you have the Relocate command to fix this.

I suggest you use the flexible and powerful file system operations and rename functions in IMatch itself. This allows IMatch to automatically keep your file system and your DAM database synchronized.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Olga

Mario, I appreciate you help and especially - how fast you reply.
Thank you.
I've guessed the reply would be no-no, but hope never dies...
I had tried all options (incl "relocate" command) before writing my question to you, and I have to say that IMatch deals great with "seeing" the files even with the new names. But the attributes and categories do not survive..
I will explore your IMatch renaming tool.
The idea behind using a different software was because several people use (change) the same database simultaneously - from the server, and I didn't want to "take" this database out from work process for days.
Thank you,
Olga

Mario

QuoteI had tried all options (incl "relocate" command) before writing my question to you, and I have to say that IMatch deals great with "seeing" the files even with the new names. But the attributes and categories do not survive..

Then there is something wrong. Categories and Attributes are removed _only_ when you remove a file from the database, e.g. when rescanning a folder which contains off-line files.

Relocating does not change any data, categories or Attributes. it just updates the file name, folder etc. That's the sole purpose of Relocate, to keep all the data intact. I just make a quick test and it works perfectly.

Can you give us details about what you see in IMatch, what you do?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

You could convert the categories to keywords - which are written into the metadata of the file. They will then survive
the external rename.

But do try the extremely flexible renamer in Imatch. Only if it can not handle it should you go extern.
Just ask in this forum if you get stuck with the renamer.