Author Topic: View images in JPEGView-script  (Read 5244 times)

gullien

• New Members
View images in JPEGView-script
« on: March 09, 2015, 09:23:03 PM »
Hi everyone!
Summary:
This script allows you to view images in the worlds best and fastest (in my view) image viewer, JPEGView directly from Imatch.

The reason for creating this script is because I did not like the default viewer, and I did also have some trouble with viewing more than say 50-100 images without getting black screen. (Mario did a nice job to try to figure out what the issue was, back in 09.2014, but I closed the issue since I would like to use JPEGView.)

JPEGView is really fast, caches the next file so the whole viewing is nice and smooth with very little cpu load. In addition, it is possible to view metadata, zoom into the images and do some small editing. JPEGView can alos be tweeked via its large ini file.

JPEGView is open source and can be downloaded from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpegview/

Installation:
  • Download the attached file, unzip it and place the two files in the user script-folder, normally: "C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\scripts\user"
  • Download JPEGView and extract the files so that JPEGView.exe is located here: "C:\Portable apps\JPEGView\JPEGView64\JPEGView.exe" (you can change the location inside the script).
  • Restart Imatch

How it works:
  • Select the images (in Imatch) to view in JPEGView. The selected order will also be the viewed order in JPEGView. If no images is selected, the script will return an error message
  • Right click on a image and select "View in JPEGView"
  • My little script will then create a little textfile, ImatchImages.txt, with all images, inside C:\Portable apps\JPEGView
  • JPEGViewer will be started with this text file as argument

Have fun ;)

Disclaimer:
The common - non-readable part about -- something - delivered as is- .. Well, if it work, have fun, if not don't blame me ;)

Other:
If you have any suggestions, improvements, etc. it would be nice to improve the script; - it is my first Imatch script so there might be some bugs..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: View images in JPEGView-script
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
Can't you just use the "Open" or "Open with command"?
Or put JPEGView on a Favorite so you can just launch it from IMatch?
Why the need to write a script?

PS.: I don't know if your other software supports a proper color-management. But if display performance is of high importance for you, disabling color management in the viewer increases the performance by about 300% !
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:04:48 PM by Mario »

gullien

• New Members
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 05:34:14 PM »
I did not know about the color management vs performance. I'll had to check that out.

No, it is not possible to use "Open" or "Open with" with JPEGView. It works for just that image, but not if you want to view a sequence of images. The problem with JPEGViewer is that it cache and view the next image in the specific folder, sorted by DateModified. The script force JPEGView to open just the images selected, and in the selected sequence.

DavidOfMA

• Writer/Photographer/Therapist
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 05:56:22 AM »
Just found this script. Thanks both for the script and for letting me know about JPEGView. Wow, it's fast! Perfect for culling images quickly, or making quick minor changes.

David

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 02:55:40 PM »
I think the new Viewer in IMatch 5.5 (and the Quick View Panel of course) are as fast as external solutions - and you have the full feature set of IMatch as well.

DavidOfMA

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 03:42:52 PM »
There are many advantages to using the Viewer over an external viewer, and most of the time that's what I use (or the slideshow, if I want a full-screen view). But, on my 2009 machine with built-in video, once I've paged through the first few files that IMatch has preloaded, it takes about three seconds for IMatch to load the next file. With JPEGView, I can page through 100 JPEGs without a noticeable delay, and RAW files have only a very slight delay after paging through a dozen or so. It can't let me do any database operations, etc., but for the occasional times when what I want to do is quickly scan through files, JPEGView or its equivalent does the trick.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 04:36:46 PM »
How large (MP) are your files?
Does the other software allow for dive zooms or only fit-to-window?
Color Management supported?

I can zap through 36 MP JPEG files here, on my 6 year old PC.
What loads times are reported for your machine in the IM log? The typical load time for WIC for a JPEG is maybe 0.2 seconds + color management + rotation if non-neutral. IMatch may also have to check the file system for proxy files or versions, depending on your setup. And for virtual transformations you may have created or imported via Adobe crop records. Ignoring all that may speed up the Viewer, but of course would also make it useless for many users.

I have never used FPV again after implementing the new Viewer, for example.

DavidOfMA

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 06:06:51 PM »
I'm not criticizing the Viewer. I think it's great. I do wish I could toggle color management off to speed it up when I want to quickly scan a collection of images, as it slows down after the first few. Until that happens or I get a faster machine, external viewers line JPEGview are helpful alternatives.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 06:42:22 PM »
When I recall correctly, CM takes usually only 0.2 to 0.4 seconds, depending on the MP of your files.

DavidOfMA

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
Okay. When we were sorting out why loading thumbnails was so slow on my machine, you estimated one second for CM. That seemed right, as when CM was on for thumbnails, folders with four files took 4 seconds to display, 8 files took 8, 12 (when I displayed two rows of six per screen) took 12, whereas thumbnail display is almost instant with CM off. I'm figuring the delay time is about the same for CM for the viewer, for uncached images, but I can't measure it.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 09:13:34 PM »
It's so fast, I don't even measure it. And when you need to scroll faster than 1 or 2 seconds view time per file. you need a special software. IMatch usually catches up within a few seconds. It that's still to slow for you, use whatever purpose-built software you find suitable for this use case.

DavidOfMA

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 09:17:56 PM »
Yes, that's why I thanked the original poster for his script. I have been scanning thousands of files for a new project, and for this purpose, the extra speed of JPEGView is helpful.

DavidOfMA

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 09:26:15 PM »
I'm confused by what you say about CM. A month ago, you told me in another thread that it added about a second/image to thumbnail processing, but here you say it's too fast to measure. And earlier in this thread you told the op "PS.: I don't know if your other software supports a proper color-management. But if display performance is of high importance for you, disabling color management in the viewer increases the performance by about 300% !"

I guess you removed disabling CM because the new viewer is faster, so for most users the delay is not important? I understand that you don't want to make it configurable, and you don't need to spend time explaining.

Anyway, in general I like the viewer, just not when quickly scanning.

Thanks,
David

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 09:36:38 PM »
I don't measure this. i remember from the tests when introducing this to my test groups six months ago, the average time was between 0.2 and one second, depending on the dimensions of the file, profile, machine. If you are really keen on this, I can do some measures for you. I currently have no runnable IMatch version because by old PC died and the new one is not yet read. Remind me again in a few days and I will do some measures on how fast Windows ICM performs. What dimensions do your files have? I use images between 24 MP and 80 MP here.

DavidOfMA

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 09:51:25 PM »
My images are between 6MP and 16MP except for the panoramas, which are about 80MP. Only machine, CM seems to add about 1 second, as I mentioned earlier.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 10:09:06 PM »
1 second for an 80 MP file is very good.

DavidOfMA

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 10:59:32 PM »
I don't know how long the 80MP files take. Most of my files are 6-16MP, and scrolling through them, when the buffer is exhausted, takes 2-3 seconds each. The thumbnails took 1 second each when CM was enabled, so I figure that's what CM is adding to the Viewer for each file when I try to scroll quickly.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 07:45:59 AM »
CM for thumbnails is done in software, while CM in the Viewer / QVP can be done with hardware support (if supported by the GPU and the installed Windows).

gullien

• New Members
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 10:48:39 AM »
Glad you liked JPEGView, DavidOfMA! I have now tested IMatch 5.5 and find JPEGView smoother and with the features I need for viewing images (short image info, zoom, quick image modifications). The GUI is nice and minimalistic and without lag /loading / wait time.

(I am running IMatch database on SSD on QNAP NAS with the images stored on common HDDs).