Troubles with UMLAUTS / even Rosetta cannot solve it ;)

Started by sinus, November 12, 2014, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Not directly linked to IMatch, but  ;)

In the attachement you can see a screenshot from a "sophisticated" image including video and animation (Rosetta - Comet).

What finally is unbelievable: there we go and do land Rovers and other stuff on comets and what ever, Humans does live in the universe (ISS) ... and we are still not able to communicate without troubles with Umlauts like ÄÖÜ äöü - from spanish, scandinavian or other countries with even more troubles I dare not to speak.

See the attachement, could not resist to upload this.  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

sinus

And forgot to mention:

That is why I do not use such Umlauts in file- or foldernames. And for shure I do not deliver such files to friends or clients.

Never - ever (except a client wants it for filenames)!
Markus

Mario

Non ASCII/ANSI is still a problem because most of the core technologies were designed by U.S. companies, and they don't need any of this fancy umlauts or other things. When you work in projects which incorporates software from various sources (Open Source, Research projects) you often run into problems. Sometimes a module cannot display or process non-ASCII text. Sometimes a module cannot work with non-ASCII file names, not even UTF-8 data. And looking for UNICODDE support (the official standard, and supported by Windows for 20 years) across platforms is futile.

IMatch suffers from that too, but only when communicating with ExifTool. Thanks to the missing support for UNICODE file names in the Perl programming language used for ExifTool, IMatch has to do a lot of clumsy things in order to support file names which cannot be mapped into the ANSI/ASCII or local code page of the user.

The general rule is (all IT guys and most pro's know this by hart): Don't use non ASCII-characters in file names if you want to use your files on all platforms and web sites.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on November 12, 2014, 10:42:25 AM
The general rule is (all IT guys and most pro's know this by hart): Don't use non ASCII-characters in file names if you want to use your files on all platforms and web sites.

It is like it is.
But your rule above, all IT-people should print this on the desk, on the fridge, as a sheet in the bed ;)

And all IMatch-user should at least think about it!
I see very often a lot of problems simply because user does use Umlauts.
OF COURSE, for a German, for example, it is akward to write "Maedchen" instead "Mädchen".  (my gps write simply instead ä a and u for ü ...).

But better to live with this, instead having always troubles with not working pages or links and so on.
Markus