DxO Optics Pro v10 Released

Started by lnh, October 31, 2014, 06:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lnh

Just saw they've released the next version. Haven't downloaded a trial yet, but at first glance a couple of things stood out. They have restructured the versions into essential and elite with the differentiation no longer being consumer-prosumer vs. professional cameras. There is now a feature set difference. Geometric corrections now require buying Viewpoint and supported in DOP via a plug-in. There is some talk about better metadata handling between DOP and Lightroom so I'd assume any improvements would also apply to IMatch. They talk about DNG a bit, but from what I could quickly gather it only applies to export. Not sure how this is different than v9 DNG support, but hopefully they support the standard DNG format rather than the HUGE file size linear DNGs of v9 (have to wait and see on this one). Still doesn't appear they can import a DNG other than from cameras which use it as their native RAW format. In terms of features, I couldn't find anything which compares v9 to v10. Maybe I couldn't find it, or it's coming soon, or maybe it's missing because it doesn't appear all that different. Some marketing jargon about new noise reduction technology and haze removal, but the rest seems pretty similar except for removing some long standing features like geometric corrections and making it a paid option. To be fair, Viewpoint has better geometric corrections than the standard offerings of past versions.

As a long time user of DOP, I've come to count on some of it's core features like it's excellent lens distortion corrections. I know some RAW files now embed lens correction data within the metadata, but it might be true that DOP does even better. Has anyone compared this aspect of DOP with other RAW converters like ACR or Capture One Pro?

cytochrome

Not sure that I am going to "upgrade". If one wants Prime one has to buy Elite, 199 €...

Will it be free in two years like DxO8 presently?  First returns on french forums are positive in terms of speed (good point, seems that Prime is really much faster) but dubious for Clearview.

Of course I should download the trial and test for myself instead of ranting about the price...

Francis

PS Just saw that DxO9 Standard ==> DxO10 Elite was 69€ with a minimal perspective correction. For the real thing it is 98€....  It is 0€ in ASP !

pmbvw

Thank you Inh for the info.
After I have read your post, I have tested V10 side by side to my V8.
V9 for me was was not worth the upgrade price.

But V10 is much better in a lot of things.
For me a much better interface, prime, clear view, previews of the presets, better performance etc.

Because I have Elite for my Canon 5DMK3, it is easier and not so expensive to upgrade.

Try it out, it is the best version and interface of DXO.

jch2103

John

J.D. McDowell

Thanks for the info, I've been looking at DxO since the demise of Capture NX2. I was unsure what the differences were between v9 and v10.

Just in case anyone is interested I found a current coupon code when purchasing the full version,

DIGITALPHOTOGRAPHER1014

$50 off; but it only works on V10 alone, not the bundle.

Lord_Helmchen

Has the new version now support of XMP for ratings? That was my main point for not moving from Lightroom to earlier versions of DxO.

jch2103

John

pmbvw

For all, who would not have or spend the money, a good news,
you can get from DXO    the DXO V8 Elite version (EX >  200 Euro) for free.

V8 is my actual Version, so nothing for me :-( 

But I think it is the beste Freeware for 2014

http://www.dxo.com/intl/dphotographer

jarraun

Thank you pmbvw, it´s going to be very useful for me.

Javier

pmbvw

Quote from: jarraun on November 08, 2014, 07:47:21 PM
Thank you pmbvw, it´s going to be very useful for me.
Javier

You're welcome. It is fine, that I could help you.

Lord_Helmchen

I now had a very breif look at DxO 10. And now I see indeed my standard XMP rating as yellow stars. But, if I set a rating within DxO, the color changes from yellow to white and they don't seem to be changes in XMP. I checked with FastPictureViewer.

Is this by intention, or did I something wrong?

jch2103

Yes, this behavior is by design. DxO doesn't write to raw files (a very good decision in my view). Therefore, if you assign a Rating in DxO, that Rating is stored only in the DxO database and isn't visible to other applications. Conversely, a Rating assigned with an outside program (e.g., IMatch 5) is visible in DxO as a 'gold' Rating and is also visible in other programs that can read xmp files.

John

Mario

QuoteYes, this behavior is by design. DxO doesn't write to raw files (a very good decision in my view). Therefore, if you assign a Rating in DxO, that Rating is stored only in the DxO database and isn't visible to other applications. Conversely, a Rating assigned with an outside program (e.g., IMatch 5) is visible in DxO as a 'gold' Rating and is also visible in other programs that can read xmp files.

This sounds a bit nonsense to me. Metadata is a mess as it is, but at least the rating and label which are part of XMP are pretty standardized and widely supported (even in Windows, gosh!). Why add another proprietary rating system in addition to that?(You don't need to write to RAW files to store rating and label, it all goes into the XMP sidecar. Easy interchange guaranteed.

Users really should push vendors to stick to the established standards (as far as we have some in metadata). Falling back to proprietary data should only be a last resort. Of course, from a commercial perspective, a vendor should make it as hard as possible to switch applications. That's why proprietary metadata and cloud services are so popular among vendors...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

This behavior is a half-step improvement over what DxO did before, ie only show Ratings assigned within DxO. I agree with you that better conformity with xmp would be preferable. However, with this change, DxO now fits much better into an IMatch-based workflow; I can review and rate raw files in IMatch and then send them (via Favorites) to DxO for processing.
John

Lord_Helmchen

Thanks for response John. But as Mario said, DxO won't need to change my Raw file, just the XMP sidecar, from where it already read the XMP rating.

And yes, I could see IM ratings, but maybe I'd like to change rating within the Raw converter, because after developing I find the photo much better than initially thought. Not I'd need to use IM again. So no simple workflow.

So half way done. Maybe I should write again (third time - sic!) to DxO Labs and tell them, that I'd like to buy, if they support it...

J.D. McDowell

According to DxO this has been addressed in 10.1

"New features in DxO OpticsPro v10.1"

"• DxO OpticsPro now automatically reads from the image EXIF data or from the XMP sidecar file the star rankings defined by other applications.
• The star rankings defined in DxO OpticsPro are saved in the files generated by DxO OpticsPro, so as to be readable by other applications."

Lord_Helmchen

Thanks J.D. for that information! I've downloaded the update and tried - but wasn't successful. I didn't see changed ratings in FPV. Also the changes ratings are still shown as white stars instead of gold stars imported from XMP.

Does it work for you? Do I have to change some default settings?

If that works, I think I'll use their x-mas offer to change from LR.

Thanks!

Lord_Helmchen

After playing around a lot and discussion with a friend who recently bought DxO, I think the statement of DxO:
• The star rankings defined in DxO OpticsPro are saved in the files generated by DxO OpticsPro, so as to be readable by other applications.

Has to be read as
• The star rankings defined in DxO OpticsPro are saved in the JPEG files exported by DxO OpticsPro, so as to be readable by other applications.

DxO doesn't touch the XMP sidecar file after changing rating (same time stamp as before)

I also asked DxO support about this in beginning of Dec, but even after reminding them, I still have no answer from them.

The huge Photools support team (Mario) is "slightly" faster.

Mario

QuoteThe huge Photools support team (Mario) is "slightly" faster.

Definitely! Spread the word.

'Big company' does not mean anything. I just had a support session with a well-known 'social web' site. It took 9 days to clear one (!) question, because their typical response time is 3 days. You write an entry into their ticket form, wait 3 days for an answer. Reply. Wait another 3 days for an answer. And so on. The first answer you get is always for the bin because it's a "bugger off and read the FAQ" canned response. Very unsatisfactory, although the support folks were nice.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook