Thumbnails get lost when copying files

Started by Polarigel, October 06, 2014, 10:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polarigel

It is possible to copy image files to another directory using iMatch. Surprisingly the file, but not the thumbnail is copied. The file window just shows some sort of icon instead of the thumbnail. Forced rescan brings the thumbnails back. When moving the file, the thumbnail is moved too.

Is this expected behaviour? Or is it possible to change that behaviour by a setting?

joel23

Quote from: Polarigel on October 06, 2014, 10:49:58 PM
It is possible to copy image files to another directory using iMatch. Surprisingly the file, but not the thumbnail is copied. The file window just shows some sort of icon instead of the thumbnail. Forced rescan brings the thumbnails back. When moving the file, the thumbnail is moved too.

Is this expected behaviour? Or is it possible to change that behaviour by a setting?
Guess it's not an expected behavior nor to change by settings. I have this sometimes too, usually on larger files. Seems Mario need to have a look to it.
See attachments. Generating a thumb (or should the thumb be copied?) for the JPG worked, for the PSD not.

[attachment deleted by admin]
regards,
Joerg

Mario

When a file is copied inside IMatch, IMatch also copies the thumbnail, visual query data and all other associated data within the database.

- How do you copy the file (there are multiple methods)?
- Do you use file relations?
- Do you use visual proxies?
- Any other specialty?

Just tried with a few large RAW, PSD and TIFF files. Works.

-How large are the files you copy?
-Anything in the log file (Enable debug logging under Help > Support > Debug logging for detailed information before copying).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Polarigel

I tried copying by CTRL-C + CTRL-V, and by CTRL-drag and drop. Are there other methods? I don't know what a visual proxy is- so I don't think I use one. I use file relations, but deactivating them made no difference.  I'm still testing iMatch and I don't know what other specialties might be.

I have only .jpg-files in my database. The largest file is 6MB.

I'll attach a log-file.

jch2103

I see something similar to this when I create a new image in Photoshop and have IMatch running at the same time. The new file will first show in IMatch with a generic icon; as soon as IMatch has finished re-scanning the folder for new images, the thumbnail image becomes visible.

I suspect that's what's happening for you. Did you try waiting to see if IMatch shows thumbnails on its own, or do you always have to force a re-scan to make them visible?

John

EDIT
Now I've seen the exact same behavior. I used Clipboard/Copy from within IMatch to copy several sets of files from one folder to another. Most of the time, this worked as expected. However, the last time I was left with non-image icons for the NEF and JPG files I had copied (see screen shot). I was stressing my computer fairly hard at the time, using an image processing program; I don't know if that had anything to do with the result. I waited several minutes to see if IMatch would re-scan the images, but nothing happened even after several other files added to the folder by a different program showed up properly (i.e., with thumbnails). I finally did a force rescan, which did add the thumbnails.

Log file attached.

John