Ordered yesterday a new Nikon

Started by sinus, October 01, 2014, 08:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hello Everyone,

I ordered yesterday a new Nikon, D750. I decided against the D800 or D810.
Today, they told me, they will deliver the gear to me  :)

Additionallly I ordered a lens, Nikkor 24-120mm, f/4 ED VR, hope, this is a good lens.

And finally I ordered a flash SB500. To be honest, with this I want play a bit, MAYBE the new LED (this time, Richard, it is a real LED, "Light Emitting Diode") is interesting.
BTW, I used to flash a VERY long time with Metz CT60 (or so), I wonder, if the flash Metz Mecablitz 76 MZ-5 is also good in the digital time!?

At last I want to order the AF-S Micro Nikkor 105mm / f/2.8 G IF-ED, but I want think about a bit, if the 60mm Micro - lens is also good. The 105mm could be also a nice portrait-lens!?

With the new D750 I think, that also the video-stuff is not bad, so that I could create some nice videos.
The D750 will replace my D7000, what is a VERY good cam, but not that solid like my old F2 ;) ... but the D750 will be also not that solid, I think, but for that money it is not soooo important, specialy because I am a professional and must replace a cam here and then.

In the analog times, well, a Nikon was MANY years state of the art and solid and good, nowadays, if I buy a Nikon, some monthes later Nikon (or Canon or who ever) releases a new body. For example, the D810 is not that old, isn't it, and we have now already the D750. This new body is, FOR THAT, WHAT I USE IT, cheaper and better than the D810, though the D810 seems to be a fantastic camera.
But I do not use very often 36 MB and for the rest, I think, the D750 is almost so good. And the flip-monitor, well, could be interesting for some shoots from above my head.

And I hope of course, the images of the new gear will fit neatly into the DAM of IMatch5! ;)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

ChrisMatch

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

I am interessted to hear how you like it and
what you like most over the 'older' Nikon.

I own the 24-120 f4 too and really like it in combination
with using a flash (so low light is not a problem).

Sorted

"At last I want to order the AF-S Micro Nikkor 105mm / f/2.8 G IF-ED, but I want think about a bit, if the 60mm Micro - lens is also good. The 105mm could be also a nice portrait-lens!?"

Just a word of warning with regard to the 105mm: some samples of this lens suffer significantly from chromatic aberration; mine certainly does. Most evident in bright contrasty conditions (as we have here much of the time in Western Australia), edges of objects can have a blue/purple fringe and can be hard to correct. This is most evident when used for more distant, rather than macro, ranges.

As a macro lens it is excellent and I haven't had this problem with such images but using it as a long focus lens I have. It seems that some lenses don't suffer from CA to a significant degree but it is worthwhile testing yours if you buy one. For portraiture it probably wouldn't be a problem because the subject is not of high contrast and you are likely to avoid harsh lighting anyway.

Jeremy

cytochrome

Faithful Swiss Nikon fan!!

Nikon made some marketing errors but is still alive amongst the proliferating compacts and hybrids and has a cohort of supporters. I still have an FM2, a F-90x, a D80 and a D7000. But also now a Pana GF1 and my next will probably be a Pana GM-1 or GM-5 (passes all gates in your pocket and is totally silent in concert halls, churches or museums).

As to macro lenses I would take the 105mm, 60mm is pretty short for live macro, no butterfly is that familiar... I have the old 55/2.8 AI, excellent but difficult to use on moving targets.
But the 105 micro will be a bad portrait lens, or you will have to master photoshop or the like to blur the skin imperfections.

Francis

Ferdinand

Quote from: cytochrome on October 01, 2014, 03:33:38 PM
Nikon made some marketing errors but is still alive amongst the proliferating compacts and hybrids and has a cohort of supporters. I still have an FM2, a F-90x, a D80 and a D7000. But also now a Pana GF1 and my next will probably be a Pana GM-1 or GM-5 (passes all gates in your pocket and is totally silent in concert halls, churches or museums).

I own a lot of Nikon gear.  Have for years.  But since I found Fuji X I regard Nikon as the past, not the future.  I don't intend to sell all my Nikon gear, but perhaps some.  I just wish that Nikon had a better understanding of what its customers wanted and was prepared to respond.  But as Thom Hogan recently observed, they're leaving it very late to do so.  I don't plan to buy any more Nikon kit. 

I hesitate to say all this as I don't want to rain on Markus' parade.  I'm sure the D750 is a good camera and you'll take lots great photos with it.  My D3s still has its uses, and remains a professional workhorse and a very impressive piece of gear.  In some situations there's no alternative.  But it's big, heavy and expensive, and in many situations you can do as well with smaller and lighter (and quieter) and cheaper.  But you may not impress clients like you can with a D3s.

sinus

Quote from: Ferdinand on October 01, 2014, 04:30:08 PM

I own a lot of Nikon gear.  Have for years.  But since I found Fuji X I regard Nikon as the past, not the future.  I don't intend to sell all my Nikon gear, but perhaps some.  I just wish that Nikon had a better understanding of what its customers wanted and was prepared to respond.  But as Thom Hogan recently observed, they're leaving it very late to do so.  I don't plan to buy any more Nikon kit. 

I hesitate to say all this as I don't want to rain on Markus' parade.  I'm sure the D750 is a good camera and you'll take lots great photos with it.  My D3s still has its uses, and remains a professional workhorse and a very impressive piece of gear.  In some situations there's no alternative.  But it's big, heavy and expensive, and in many situations you can do as well with smaller and lighter (and quieter) and cheaper.  But you may not impress clients like you can with a D3s.

Thanks, Ferdinand, for your thoughts.
Well, I own that much of nikon lens, that I simply stay there. And to be honest, I have not a lot, what I do not like with Nikon. Except the price for a D3/D4: they are simply too expensive.

I own also some Nikons, F, F1, , FM2, F-90, F2 (two), D80, D100, D7000 ... and a LOT of lenses. Nikon has made maybe something wrong, could be, but what they made not wrong, is the fact, that finally I can take pictures with my old lenses from decades in the past. The fit simply. If I remember correct, this is not the case with Canon.

But Canon is fine also, very good, without question.
I take a lot of pics, ok, I live from my profession, but these images, what I make, finally I can do 99% (OK, say 95%) as good with a D7000 as with a D3 or D4! The secret is not the body (in my opinion), but the lens (... and the photographer!).

But one point is really true (and it's a bit sad), your sentence "But you may not impress clients like you can with a D3s."! This is a big point, not to underestimate!
Markus

sinus

Faithful Swiss Nikon fan!!

As to macro lenses I would take the 105mm, 60mm is pretty short for live macro, no butterfly is that familiar... I have the old 55/2.8 AI, excellent but difficult to use on moving targets.
But the 105 micro will be a bad portrait lens, or you will have to master photoshop or the like to blur the skin imperfections.

Francis

Thanks, Francis,
Well, faithful simply, because I own that much of lenses!  :)
I will have a deeper look for my Micro - Nikkor 105mm - have it here now!  :D
Markus

sinus

Quote from: ChrisMatch on October 01, 2014, 11:28:10 AM
Congratulations on your new acquisition.

I am interessted to hear how you like it and
what you like most over the 'older' Nikon.

I own the 24-120 f4 too and really like it in combination
with using a flash (so low light is not a problem).

Chris, thanks, not sure, if I understand fully: I like with the new Nikons simply the fact, that they are digital, not more analog!   :D

No more darkroom and the like!  8) 8) 8) Yep, the 24-120 mm should do a good job, glad to hear that also from you.
Markus

sinus

Quote from: Sorted on October 01, 2014, 03:25:41 PM
Just a word of warning with regard to the 105mm: some samples of this lens suffer significantly from chromatic aberration; mine certainly does. Most evident in bright contrasty conditions (as we have here much of the time in Western Australia), edges of objects can have a blue/purple fringe and can be hard to correct. This is most evident when used for more distant, rather than macro, ranges.

As a macro lens it is excellent and I haven't had this problem with such images but using it as a long focus lens I have. It seems that some lenses don't suffer from CA to a significant degree but it is worthwhile testing yours if you buy one. For portraiture it probably wouldn't be a problem because the subject is not of high contrast and you are likely to avoid harsh lighting anyway.
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy
Thanks for your sentences and the warning: I will look at this. I hope, I have a good one (I have it now, phew, quite a bid of a stone!  ;D)

Markus

ChrisMatch

Quote from: sinus on October 01, 2014, 05:25:55 PM
Chris, thanks, not sure, if I understand fully: I like with the new Nikons simply the fact, that they are digital, not more analog!   :D
I meant in comparison to the 'old' D7000  ;)

lnh

But also now a Pana GF1 and my next will probably be a Pana GM-1 or GM-5 (passes all gates in your pocket and is totally silent in concert halls, churches or museums).

Although I have some Canon gear, it rarely gets used anymore unless I'm shooting a focus stack where the remote focus control comes into play. Mostly shoot with an Olympus OMD-EM5 and a Panasonic GM-1. The GM-1 is just amazing especially for it's size. You do have to work within its technical limitations (slow flash sync and silent electronic shutter can have artifacts with object in motion), but the results are excellent. The small size does require some adaptation as it might be too small for some. If I were to buy today, the GM-5 is probably where I'd go as the built-in viewfinder would be nice, as would a hot shoe/external flash.

sinus

Quote from: ChrisMatch on October 01, 2014, 06:58:13 PM
Quote from: sinus on October 01, 2014, 05:25:55 PM
I meant in comparison to the 'old' D7000  ;)

OH, I see.  :-[
I will report as soon as I can say something ... the D750 is still in the box, took out the printed manual, I guess, so huge as "Doctor Shiwago" and "Fifty grey of Shades" together!  ;D
Markus

Ferdinand

Quote from: sinus on October 01, 2014, 05:22:16 PM
Except the price for a D3/D4: they are simply too expensive.
They sure are!  I bought mine second hand when the D4 was just released and some people were upgrading.

I own also some Nikons, F, F1, , FM2, F-90, F2 (two), D80, D100, D7000 ... and a LOT of lenses.
My collection starts with a Nikon F, then FE and goes on from there ....

The secret is not the body (in my opinion), but the lens (... and the photographer!).
Like many of us, I often get asked what camera to buy.  I say whichever one you like using the most.  Because if you can't take good photos with any of these modern cameras, the problem is not the camera or lens.  (That said, some cameras do better for some things and others for other things.)

I hope your clients are suitably impressed.

cytochrome

Quote from: lnh on October 01, 2014, 07:20:33 PM
But also now a Pana GF1 and my next will probably be a Pana GM-1 or GM-5 (passes all gates in your pocket and is totally silent in concert halls, churches or museums).

Although I have some Canon gear, it rarely gets used anymore unless I'm shooting a focus stack where the remote focus control comes into play. Mostly shoot with an Olympus OMD-EM5 and a Panasonic GM-1. The GM-1 is just amazing especially for it's size. You do have to work within its technical limitations (slow flash sync and silent electronic shutter can have artifacts with object in motion), but the results are excellent. The small size does require some adaptation as it might be too small for some. If I were to buy today, the GM-5 is probably where I'd go as the built-in viewfinder would be nice, as would a hot shoe/external flash.

Thanks for the comments, it is encouraging. What do you mean by silent shutter artifacts? The silent shutter is one of the features that at tracks me. In classical concerts you get dark looks when you shoot with a reflex, even the GF1 is a bit noisy, have to wait for the brass or percussion forte. They never come during a violin solo :). Have you used non Pana lenses with the GM-1? I use often the Nikkor 105/2.5 on the GF1, really nice combination.

@Sinus, sorry for starting this private Pana thing in a discussion about your new D750, I bet you feel like a kid when you got your first Märklin train... I wish you the same pleasure

Francis

sinus

Quote from: cytochrome on October 02, 2014, 12:37:17 PM
@Sinus, sorry for starting this private Pana thing in a discussion about your new D750, I bet you feel like a kid when you got your first Märklin train... I wish you the same pleasure

Francis

Francis, no problem for me, thanks for your  empathy!

Well, yes, almost ... I see, you know the Märklin train too!  ;D
But I am directly in the working-process, I make the first images with the D750 and my new Micro-Nikkor 105mm in the studio, had no time to study the D750 ;) ... but now I have to go out to take pics from bees and honey, for that I take my D7000 ... not that my D750 is creamed with honey (what happens once - long ago - in Greece with such sweets and all the sweet sauce runed over my F2).
Markus

sinus

First impression:
a very good camera, the body is better than from the D7000.

BTW: most problems (I thought so): Lightroom and Photoshop does not support the (very new) camera and its format.
I had to use the free (came on CD) Capture NX-D from Nikon. And this in my whole (stressing) workflow and workday (the graphic artist waited on my pics).

But I must say: after 15 minutes I got a very good result with this software, quite intuitiv (well, could be better of course).
But my impression is (had not the time to check), that Nikon uses something special again instead xmp. But I do not know.

Finally I got the resulta as jpg and the work was done.

And IMatch: Both IMatches does import and know the raws and I could see them on both softwares also with the viewer. But IMatch 3 did not show the pixel correctly ... but does not matter, because IMatch 5 does show the pixel (6000 or so ...) correct.  :)
Markus

lnh

Quote from: cytochrome on October 02, 2014, 12:37:17 PM

Thanks for the comments, it is encouraging. What do you mean by silent shutter artifacts? The silent shutter is one of the features that at tracks me. In classical concerts you get dark looks when you shoot with a reflex, even the GF1 is a bit noisy, have to wait for the brass or percussion forte. They never come during a violin solo :). Have you used non Pana lenses with the GM-1? I use often the Nikkor 105/2.5 on the GF1, really nice combination.

Francis

Electronic shutter and even mechanical ones to a lesser extent are susceptible to rolling shutter effects. It's a bit obtuse, but even though the exposure is short for each line of the sensor being scanned, the total time from the first line of the sensor to the last line can be shockingly long. This can create visual artifacts with objects in motion. See: http://m43photo.blogspot.se/2012/12/gh3-electronic-shutter.html for more explanation.

Like any camera, but especially ones like the GM1 which are going to compromise some features towards a specific goal (i.e. size),  you just have to be aware of what they can do and how to compensate if possible.  I used the GM-1 in silent mode all through Italy & France this summer in quiet places like churches. It was VERY nice to go silent.  For my use, never saw or noticed rolling shutter effects so mostly consider it a non-issue. My number 1 complaint is the 1/50 flash shutter sync. It makes fill flash in brighter light very difficult or impossible. With the dinky built-in flash of the GM-1, you can't expect much anyways, but with the GM-5 having a hot shoe, it leaves you wanting (haven't seen any specs if the sync speed of GM-5 is faster or not). You can play with ND filters and improve things a bit, but the weak flash of the GM-1 is a problem if you start using NDs.

I use a m43 manual Samyang 7.5 fisheye for stitched panoramas. Also have several Olympus m43 lenses. Don't use any lenses via adapters, but don't see that as an issue. Focus peaking makes manual focus real nice even though it's hard to get an out of focus shot from a 7.5mm.

cytochrome

Thank you for the info. I had a look at the link you give and some more (http://m43photo.blogspot.fr/2014/03/gm1-shutters.html is dedicated to the gm1). I am not sure I see (= I understand)  the difference between the electronic rolling effect and that of the good old silk shades of my first reflex (was a Canon FX..).

I was not aware of the 1/50 flash shutter sync. It is low. I tend to use the flash very little, if needed I fit the 20/1.7, even on the GF1 one go up to 640 ISO without visible noise, the gm1 or gm5 should be better. In France the gm5 is announced for december, will wait for the street price to drop or catch a second hand gm1.

Francis

Ferdinand

Fuji are about to upgrade the firmware of the X-T1 to provide an electronic shutter.  The motivation supposedly is that the short shutter speeds will mean that it's possible to use the very fast primes wide open in sunlight without an ND filter (but not with flash because of the time that the exposure takes from start to finish, even at 1/32,000 sec!!).  I'm more interested in it because it could revolutionise concert and event photography.  The only uncertainty is the rolling shutter effect.  It should be possible to minimise these effects by being aware of what causes it.

The Nikon D4 (to keep this on topic) has a silent shutter option in live view mode, but last I looked it it only took a moderate resolution JPG.  If I could capture a NEF silently I'd be tempted to buy one, although the X-T1 is a much cheaper option.

cytochrome

The D7000 has a quiet mode that makes heads turn if you shoot during a classic music concert. I have tried to damp the sound with various pieces of clothing, it is messy and makes you stand out in the crowd, not so good. I have seen some theater photographers using casings with entrances for the hands and an opening for the eyepiece, they are quieter but still...

So the electronic shutter seems fine. I am not sure the rolling shutter effect is a problem, the lightning is mostly normal 50 Hz (in Europe), the higher frequency fluorescent lamps seem less frequent. I never dreamed of using a flash in concert...

Francis

Ferdinand

The D3s has the same so-called "quiet" mode.  This is where the mirror returns when you release the shutter rather than immediately, right?  So this splits the sound into two parts rather than reducing it overall.  This works if the music is not too quiet, but if it is then you end up with two sounds rather than one. Ugh!  Which is why I hold out such hopes for the X-T1 fully electronic silent shutter.  The X-T1 won't shoot RAW in near darkness, like the D3S does, but it does surprising well for APS-C.

I had thought about buying one of those Aquatech sound blimps, but business would need to improve a little as they are rather expensive, esp as you buy lens enclosures as well as the body enclosure.

Markus - does the D750 have a silent mode in liveview?  I.e. truly silent, and not just "quiet".

sinus

Quote from: Ferdinand on October 04, 2014, 02:04:27 PM

Markus - does the D750 have a silent mode in liveview?  I.e. truly silent, and not just "quiet".

sorry, Ferdinand,

still not there yet ... a lot to do, hence I take my D7000, because I know it better .. I still use a bit of time  :)
Markus

sinus

Nope, Ferdinand, there is no silent mode, simply quite, what in fact is also not quiet ;)
Markus

Aubrey

Quote from: sinus on October 03, 2014, 07:02:32 AM

BTW: most problems (I thought so): Lightroom and Photoshop does not support the (very new) camera and its format.
I had to use the free (came on CD) Capture NX-D from Nikon. And this in my whole (stressing) workflow and workday (the graphic artist waited on my pics).

I understand that Adobe Camera Raw 8.7 has support for Nikon D750
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw8-7-cc/?tabID=details#tabTop

This should allow you to convert to a format recognized by LR5/Photoshop.

Best wishes,
Aubrey.

sinus

Thanks, Aubrey,

I have Photoshop CS6 and LR 4.4.

While Photoshop does recocnosize the files from D750 in a Beta-update, does LR not.

But  it is not important for me, because with Photoshop it does quite well.
The day will come, where I can also update from LR. ;)
Markus