Author Topic: Collapsible Metadata Viewer  (Read 18973 times)

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
  • I'm too damn old to act my age.
Collapsible Metadata Viewer
« on: July 13, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »
Each section of metadata can toggle between open and closed just like the sections in the metadata panel do.

To use this app copy the folder inside the zip file to your user app panel folder.  On my machine that folder is:

C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\apppanel\user\cmv\

and then restart IMatch if it was open.

Edit: Original script was modified to correct errors on some systems.

2014-01-04 Mod7:
A second collapsible metadata app was added to the zip file for users who want to make significant changes to the app.  While the end result is the same the only JavaScript in Collapsible Metadata Viewer II is for controlling the collapsible sections.  All variables in the second app are in the viewer.htm file.

Note in app cmv2 the Attribute collapsible section will NOT work until you change the tag to use YOUR attribute set name and YOUR attribute name.

2014-01-05: Corrected some obsolete metadata tags in cmv2

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:50:25 PM by JohnZeman »

jch2103

• Super Hero
Re: Collapsible Metadata Viewer
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:09:03 PM »
Looks great - nice update. However, I'm getting an 'IMatchLib' is undefined error...
John

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 06:20:31 PM »
You'll get that error if the script can't find the IMatch library script.  Did you copy the app to the user folder so it's like this?

apppanel\user\Collapsible Metadata Viewer\Collapsible Metadata Viewer.htm

stonecherub

• Ask the expert
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 09:36:34 PM »
I think you guys are thinking with your experience from IM 3.1. I put both scripts posted today by JohnZeman in the folders indicated (apppanel\user) and (scripts\user) and neither shows up in a restart of IM 5. Help is no help.

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 10:13:15 PM »
The caption editor script should show up in the Script Manager panel under the Metadata section.  It should also be available in the Tools menu and when you right click over a thumbnail in the File Window.

The collapsible metadata app should be available in the drop down list at the top of any one of the App Panels.

If it's not then I suspect you didn't unzip and copy the script and app to the correct places.

stonecherub

• Ask the expert
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 12:38:05 AM »
Thank you, I found them both. My problem is unfamiliarity - IM5 is so goddamn complex.

cytochrome

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »
Works "as advertised" :) Thank you for this John, very handy.

Francis

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:33:28 AM »
IM5 is so goddamn complex.

Not really. But downloading and installing scripts written by another user is a rather advanced task.

In IMatch 5 we have to differentiate if we create/install HTML Templates or Apps (which reside in the apppanel folder) or regular scripts  (which go into the scripts\user folder).

We gain so many exciting possibilities by the new HTML/JavaScript IMatch Apps now and the future, the bit of added complexity is well worth it. I expect some very cool additional Apps to show up once IMatch 5 is available for the public.

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
Works "as advertised" :) Thank you for this John, very handy.

Francis

For the feedback Francis.  Writing the JavaScript for that app was breaking new ground for me so I appreciate knowing it's working as it should for you.

stonecherub

• Ask the expert
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »
Mario:

You have written something of great beauty but also of great complexity. You, the coder, working with it every day, cannot appreciate how I, the novice coming from IDImager, encounter its multiple functions. I work on it an hour or so a day and, like everything of value, gets easier the more I work with it.

But, at this point, when something fails to perform as I expect it should (from reading the help file), I do not know if the function is broken or if I just don't know enough, yet. So, I plug along. And, no, my appreciation for its goddamn complexity has not changed.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 08:24:37 PM »
But, at this point, when something fails to perform as I expect it should (from reading the help file), I do not know if the function is broken or if I just don't know enough, yet.

That's what this forum is for! Ask questions if you are unsure or something does not work as documented. Even more so this is a Beta, and problems and bugs are to be expected.

You, the coder, working with it every day, cannot appreciate how I, the novice coming from IDImager, encounter its multiple functions.

That's what I mean when I always write that I'm spoiled. I worked with IMatch 5 for too long and to deep. Even the Pre-Beta testers are spoiled a bit, because they accompanied me for many months why I honed out things, pondered the design of features and got IMatch 5 ready for public Beta.

But we now have won hundreds of new testers (judging from the unique downloads) over the past three weeks and the community has developed very quickly into a nice place where users help users. I expect the traffic and posts/day to increase once I start to actively advertise IMatch 5 Beta to IMatch 3 users. So far I made only a posting in the old user forum and added a banner / blog entry on my web site. Not many users know about IMatch 5 at this time  ;)

jch2103

• Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 01:36:50 AM »
You'll get that error if the script can't find the IMatch library script.  Did you copy the app to the user folder so it's like this?

apppanel\user\Collapsible Metadata Viewer\Collapsible Metadata Viewer.htm

Yes, except I used 'C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\apppanel\user\John's Collapsible Metadata\' as described in your original post on this topic: C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\apppanel\user\John's Collapsible Metadata

Still getting the same error message (see attachment).

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious?

John

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 02:14:41 AM »
Then verify the path to the library file is:

C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\apppanel\lib\imatch_app.js

The script goes up the tree two folders to the apppanel folder, then back down through the lib folder where it expects to find the imatch_app.js file. 

In the script that's what this line does.

Code: [Select]
<script src="../../lib/imatch_app.js" type="text/javascript">
If it doesn't find the imatch_app.js file you'll get that error.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 08:01:57 AM »
When other Apps run (e.g. VarToy) the IMatchLib JavaScript library is properly installed and the browser can access it.

Maybe it's the blanks in the folder name? They show up as %20 in your screen shot. It should work, but you'll lever know. Maybe rename the folder containing the script to something like JohnsCollapsibleMetadata, close and re-open the App Panel and then retry.

picolo

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
I do get the same error, but renaming the folder does not help...
Cheers, Michael

Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 08:50:35 AM »
I had this error but a upgrade of Internet Explorer from 9 to 10 fixed the problem for me. Great App - Many thanks for sharing!

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 09:13:40 AM »
upgrade of Internet Explorer from 9 to 10 fixed the problem for me.

The AppPanel infrastructure is tested with IE 9 and IE10. Templates and most simpler Apps even work on IE 8, but that old version is insecure and should be upgraded anyway.

picolo

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 09:52:02 AM »
All updates are current on my system - however, I can't get it to run :(
Cheers, Michael

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »
Do other IMatch Apps work?

cytochrome

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »
I am surprised by the John's Collapsible Metadata Viewer. In the zip I downloaded there is no John (sorry John) but Collapsible Metadata Viewer only. As in C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\apppanel\user\Collapsible Metadata Viewer

And this works. Maybe download again the Zip?

Francis

picolo

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »
I have downloaded the app again - but all the same...

Mario, yes all other apps are working
I have put for testing the folder into the "apppanel system" folder to see if it is related to the "apppanel user" folder, but I get the same error message.
Cheers, Michael

Ferdinand

• 100 years since I was shot and a war was started
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 01:53:47 PM »
Works for me.  I simply copied the "Collapsible Metadata Viewer" folder complete into "C:\Users\All Users\photools.com\IMatch5\apppanel\user" and it worked for me after I opened IMatch 5.

John - this is a very impressive piece of work - to be the first to master this new technology.

I note that you have used standard XMP fields.  I wonder it it's better to use composite fields.  I say this because the lens field in lens details did not work for me, at least not with my Nikon lenses, but did after I replaced
{File.MD.XMP::aux\\Lens\\Lens\\0}
with
{File.MD.Composite\\LensID\\LensID\\0}
I'd have thought that composite fields would be safer, but I confess that I haven't followed the development of this app all that closely, and perhaps I missed something. 

I've also got issues with focus mode, but in the first instance I think that there is a typo.  I suspect you don't mean:
{File.MD.XMP::photoshop\\TransmissionReference\\TransmissionReference\\0}
but I'm not sure what field should be here.  I've got a Nikon-specific field, but the only composite I can see is:
{File.MD.Composite\\AutoFocus\\AutoFocus\\0}

{edit} Also shutter speed did not show for Sony ARW files until I used the composite shutter speed field.  I have a hunch that you'll get a lot of these sorts of reports if you don't use composite fields.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:13:05 PM by Ferdinand »

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »
I've downloaded the App and it failed on my system (Windows 7 64-Bit, Internet Explorer 9.

(I cannot install IE 10 on that machine because of mysterious problems apparently caused by my graphic card, which seems to be incompatible with a web browser - go figure. Since Chrome and Firefox are happy I think this is again one of the special MS IE only issues. They require some functions in the graphic card / driver which are not present on my system. I see tons of similar problem reports on the net for months but MS seems to be unwilling to fix this).

Anyway...

After loading the App I first received a "Invalid character at position 1" error message, followed by error messages related to IMatchLib.js.
I checked the Collapsible Metadata Viewer.htm and I noticed that it did not use the suggested UTF-8 character set encoding, neither in the metadata header nor for the file itself.

I've made two changes to "Collapsible Metadata Viewer.htm":

1. I changed

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii" />
into

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
in the header and

2. I saved the file in UTF-8 encoding in Notepad.

After restarting IMatch (just reloading the file did not help because IE seems to cache it god-knows-where), the App worked.

Attached my copy of the file. Try it on your machine.

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »
I've replaced my original app up above with the now new (hopefully) improved version.

Thanks for looking into this Mario I would have pounded my head against the wall forever trying to run that problem down. :o  The thing is, it used to be configured for UTF-8 encoding and I know now when and how it got changed.  Long story short don't run HTML Tidy on an app you might be working on for IMatch as it can (and did for me) change the encoding type.  I've since added code to the script to prevent Tidy from processing the file from now on.

Ferdinand, thanks and I agree with you about the variables.  The ones I used seem to work best for my Canon cameras but I realized others will likely need to change the variables here and there to fit their particular needs.  That's why I put all the IMatch variables in a separate variables.js file.

Francis towards the end of the development of this app I decided to change the original name of John's Collapsible Metadata Viewer to just Collapsible Metadata Viewer but obviously I missed a few name changes within all the files used.  Regardless, the name shouldn't matter to how the script works.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
Very good. UTF-8 as the native encoding for the file (and the matching metadata header) always work best.

The script also may cause some troubles for IE because it contains a number of glitches and errors which may trigger the compatibility mode of IE. Nothing to bad, some missing > here and there, attributes wrong. If you are interested, I've attached a list below. My development tool reports 45 warnings in the file. The number near the end of the line is the line number in my version of the .htm file. (The one I attached).

picolo

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 04:06:49 PM »
John, Mario,

not sure what causes the error messages, but I still get the error that the "IMatchLib is not defined  >:(

Cheers, Michael

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »
You are using my version of the HTM file? Or the new version from John?
Do you have IE 9 or higher installed?

picolo

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
I tried both... I tried about everything...
I have IE 10 installed on my System (W8 64bit)
Cheers, Michael

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »
Thanks for the error checks Mario, I've gone through and replaced all \" with ' in the lines marked with errors plus I changed the closing > to a /> in those same lines.  Hopefully that will resolve the minor errors.  Everything works as it should here.

Michael did you copy the Collapsible Metadata Viewer app folder to your apppanel\user folder so it's like this?

apppanel\user\Collapsible Metadata Viewer\(app files)

picolo

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
John,

Michael did you copy the Collapsible Metadata Viewer app folder to your apppanel\user folder so it's like this?

apppanel\user\Collapsible Metadata Viewer\(app files)

Yes I did. I also tried to remove the "space" etc. etc.
Can I add the direct path somehow for the IMatchLib?
I tried a few things in the HTML-file but nothing helped :(

No worries, maybe it is just something on my system that prevents the script from running...
Cheers, Michael

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »
Can you copy the full path of where the main app file Collapsible Metadata Viewer.htm

is and paste it here?  On my machine it's:

C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\apppanel\user\Collapsible Metadata Viewer\Collapsible Metadata Viewer.htm
Do the same with the imatch_app.js file which on my computer is located here:

If that doesn't reveal some answers then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas for the moment.   :-[

Gerd

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2013, 05:45:18 PM »
Hi John,

I have no problems with your tool, it runs!

Some remarks:
- If you select more then one picture, it should be 'grayed', because it does not make sense (from my point of view), it only shows the value of the last selected picture
- some fields are empty, like 'Focus Mode' and'Lens'

It's a nice compact form for the picture-data! Great!

Regards
Gerd

_______
Regards
Gerd

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
Thanks for your comments and suggestion Gerd.  That makes sense about graying the panel out if more than one image is selected, however at this point I'm just trying to get everything working for everyone.

I've realized using focus mode was not a good idea here, there just doesn't seem to be an across the board variable that returns a value for most cameras.  So in the latest version I've removed that and am using Focal Length instead in the dashboard.

The lens is another tricky one.  I just changed the variable it uses to a different one, hopefully it will return a value for you and others.

I just uploaded the latest version of the app.

jch2103

• Super Hero
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
Still having problems with the script, using latest IM5 build (102) and just prior version of script.

File locations:
C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\apppanel\user\John's Collapsible Metadata\Collapsible Metadata Viewer.htm

Computer:
Win 7/64, IE 10 (latest version)

I discovered that if I change 'Collapsible Metadata Viewer.htm from
<!-- Include the IMatch JavaScript library -->
  <script src="../../lib/imatch_app.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
to
  <script src="C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\apppanel\lib\imatch_app.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
the script works. It also works if I change it to
  <script src="..\..\lib\imatch_app.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Maybe this will help?

Like Ferdinand, I'll need to tweak some of the settings for my Nikon equipment. Great job!
John

jch2103

• Super Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2013, 08:06:51 PM »
Same issue/workaround with mod3.
John

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2013, 08:12:26 PM »
Still having problems with the script, using latest IM5 build (102) and just prior version of script.

File locations:
C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\apppanel\user\John's Collapsible Metadata\Collapsible Metadata Viewer.htm

Computer:

to
  <script src="C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\apppanel\lib\imatch_app.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Whoa!!  Now that is some good information there jch!  I hope Mario can weigh in on what you posted because it looks like something he'll have to explain or resolve.

Thanks!

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2013, 08:29:19 PM »
URLs, including relative URLs like for the IMatchLib.js file should always use the standard URL notation, which means forward slashes / and not the Windows-only backslash \

Maybe this is caused by some kind of browser plug-in / protection software? Something which considers relative URLs like ..\..\imatchlib.js dangerous and this cause them to fail?

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2013, 08:42:31 PM »
Maybe this is caused by some kind of browser plug-in / protection software? Something which considers relative URLs like ..\..\imatchlib.js dangerous and this cause them to fail?

Wouldn't that affect regular web pages viewed in a normal I.E. browser window then?

picolo

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2013, 08:51:39 PM »

File locations:

Computer:

to

Whoa!!  Now that is some good information there jch!  I hope Mario can weigh in on what you posted because it looks like something he'll have to explain or resolve.

Thanks!
This does also not work on my Computer!
Tomorrow, I will install IM and this script on my netbook and give it a try there.
Cheers, Michael

jch2103

• Super Hero
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 10:13:35 PM »
URLs, including relative URLs like for the IMatchLib.js file should always use the standard URL notation, which means forward slashes / and not the Windows-only backslash \
That's what I thought. It was only through chance that I changed the reference to the iMatchLib.js location. But it happened to work...

As far as I know, I'm running a fully standard IE 10. (I use Chrome 99% of the time.) I also run Norton Internet Security, but never ran into a similar issue before.

Same behavior is occurring with Win8/64 on a new install on my laptop. IE10 there also.
John

Gerd

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2013, 10:31:29 PM »
I've realized using focus mode was not a good idea here, there just doesn't seem to be an across the board variable that returns a value for most cameras.  So in the latest version I've removed that and am using Focal Length instead in the dashboard.

The lens is another tricky one.  I just changed the variable it uses to a different one, hopefully it will return a value for you and others.

I just uploaded the latest version of the app.

Hi John,

thx for the quick reaction ... downloaded ... unzipped ... copied ... restart IM5 and it works!

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

jch2103

• Super Hero
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2013, 10:50:56 PM »
Maybe this is related to my other issue, but the Google Maps buttons aren't passing location data to Google Maps (either for images with coordinates or images with country/state/city information)...
John

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2013, 11:21:47 PM »
The Google Maps buttons use the latitude and longitude displayed right above the map buttons.  If those are blank, the map won't show the location.  If they're not blank can you show me what you're seeing there?

jch2103

• Super Hero
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2013, 11:57:21 PM »
Interesting. I have location data added via different methods - some from a GPS attached to the camera, some with location added via Geosetter or other methods. As you suggest, the GPS Latitude and GPS Longitude fields have to be filled in, but if you check the two attached images, you'll find that one maps w/ the Google button while the other doesn't. But if you check both images with the built-in Metadata Location template they both look the same. Metadata is a mess!

John

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2013, 12:21:25 AM »
I don't see any metadata at all in either image..??

jch2103

• Super Hero
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2013, 12:55:03 AM »
Strange - It was there before I uploaded...

[Edited]The upload seems to strip out all the metadata...! Maybe Mario can explain?

Now trying images zipped...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:00:13 AM by jch2103 »
John

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2013, 01:08:09 AM »
That worked.  The image with the red hand displays latitude and longitude and seems to be correct on a Google map.  The other one doesn't contain any metadata in the composite GPS latitude and longitude fields so it doesn't display right on a Google map.  Have you done or enabled metadata writeback in IMatch?  I don't remember for sure, but it seems like you may have to do that before all the composite fields get filled in.

jch2103

• Super Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2013, 01:23:06 AM »
I'm using the defaults in IMatch5 re metadata write-back, FWIW. I think I originally used Geosetter to assign locations to these images, but I don't know why there's a difference in location metadata between these two images. Both have XMP exif\GPS Latitude and XMP exif\GPS Latitude, but only one has XMP exif\GPS Altitude (this is visible in the Location Metadata panel). I wonder if that affects how the subsequent metadata mapping is done?

John

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2013, 02:58:51 AM »
Well in your case for the purposes of this app you may want to change the two GPS variables in the variables.js file to use the XMP metadata since those are filled in.

To do that change:

var _latitude = "{File.MD.Composite\\GPSLatitude\\GPSLatitude\\0|value:rawfrm; substr:0,8}";
var _longitude = "{File.MD.Composite\\GPSLongitude\\GPSLongitude\\0|value:rawfrm; substr:0,9}";

to:

var _latitude = "{File.MD.XMP::exif\\GPSLatitude\\GPSLatitude\\0|value:rawfrm; substr:0,8}";
var _longitude = "{File.MD.XMP::exif\\GPSLongitude\\GPSLongitude\\0|value:rawfrm; substr:0,9}";
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:08:17 AM by JohnZeman »

jch2103

• Super Hero
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2013, 03:17:14 AM »
Thanks.  Again, great work!
John