Author Topic: File organization script migration from imatch 3 to 5  (Read 17056 times)

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: File organization script migration from imatch 3 to 5
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2014, 04:29:19 PM »
Writing scripts to extend the built-in functionality of IMatch or to automate task is a really advanced topic. Scripting is never easy, in no application. A new user can expect to have to spend a few days with the help file and the sample scripts, trying to get at grip on how things work etc.

I recall when Markus wrote his script which not only deals with Basic and the IMatch object model, but also automates Microsoft Word to produce some sort of catalog for Markus' images. He worked maybe a week or even longer on that, with fine success in the end.

He always asked when he got stuck somewhere, explained what he had tried, and of course got feedback and help from us. Many users ask questions about scripting. And we always help. But when we get the impression that a users is not really trying, we take the liberty to ask him to read the help, step through a few of the sample script in the debugger to see how things work and to get a feel. This is usually really helpful and helps the user to understand things. A user cannot jump start scripting in a couple of hours. Learning a programming language and object models of applications is never easy.

Richard

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2014, 04:50:30 PM »
Learning a programming language and object models of applications is never easy.

Which is why I am thankful that some IMatch users are willing to invest their time to write scripts and share them. And when they do it, not for themselves but for others, that makes them very special people. I am have always been amazed at how many special people are members of IMatch forums. It seems that a certain type of people are attracted to a certain type of developer.

phbee2014

• New Members
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »
To Richard:
Go back to the old forum and read every post. Then read every post to this forum.
Sorry I have got more important things to do then reading old posts. As I said not everybody is working on IMatch full time everyday and we can not be blamed for that.
Mario has put a ton of effort into making IMatch 5 help files much better.
Sure I have got no problems with that.
Some members may have nothing better to do but Mario's time is extremely valuable to all users and I flat resent anyone wasting his time with questions they could have answered by Reading The Fine Manual.
I am just wondering why do you keep bringing up that all the time. I see for the first time that a user resents the usage of Software Support by other users.
...their time should be wasted on replies to users to lazy to try to help themselves?
I assume you do not intend to imply any users of this forum by this sentence.
To Mario:
we take the liberty to ask him to read the help, step through a few of the sample script in the debugger to see how things work and to get a feel. This is usually really helpful and helps the user to understand things. A user cannot jump start scripting in a couple of hours. Learning a programming language and object models of applications is never easy.
By all means. Programming is not an easy task. You are talking to a veteran who spent long years as programmer, analyst and manager in this field. But we are all short of time and as an example I deal with IMatch maximum once a month for a couple of hours. To automate everything as much as possible I had dedicated a number of days to IMatch in 2009 to write these scripts. Now all of a sudden I am confronted with an unexpected situation and I am trying to get as much help as possible from the forum.

Richard

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
Now all of a sudden I am confronted with an unexpected situation and I am trying to get as much help as possible from the forum.

If my comments about IMatch users NOT making an effort to find answer for themselves applies to you, so be it. If the shoe does not fit, don't try to put it on. And if the shoe does not fit you, why argue on behalf of those to whom it applies? Nobody is attempting to stop anyone from giving help to those who need it. I am only trying to urge IMatch users to first try to help themselves by RTFM.

phbee2014

• New Members
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2014, 06:42:59 PM »
To Richard:
Sorry I have wasted enough time in this fruitless discussion. I leave you alone with your backlog of posts to read. Good luck.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2014, 06:48:04 PM »
To Richard:
Sorry I have wasted enough time in this fruitless discussion. I leave you alone with your backlog of posts to read. Good luck.

It seems to me that this thread has become a bit heated and distracted from the original topic (which I already forgot, sorry).
It seems that several of the posters in this thread got the impression that the original poster did not read the help or study the samples provided. This was also my impression, and I commented on that. If I'm wrong, I apologize. If not, read the fine manual.

If the problem is still not solved, please reply to this thread and explain where you got stuck, show your complete code so we can see what you are doing and then we can all can get back to be friendly and helpful. I don't have time to waste.

Ferdinand

• 100 years since I was shot and a war was started
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »
It seems that several of the posters in this thread got the impression that the original poster did not read the help or study the samples provided. This was also my impression, and I commented on that. If I'm wrong, I apologize. If not, read the fine manual.

Your understanding is correct.  The OP wants to migrate some 3.6 scripts, but doesn't have the time to learn how to do it himself, like the rest of us did, perhaps with a few questions along the way when we got into difficulties.  Rather he wants us to hold his hand at each step of the way.

To the OP:  Speaking as someone who has published a number of scripts for general use, written some custom scripts for those who needed them, provided much advice on scripting in response to questions, and received the same in return, I can say with some authority your request is not in keeping with the ethos of this forum.  What is the old saying?  "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him how to fish .......".  Like Richard, I have been here a long time and we have both seen people who just want to be given fish, and also those who want to learn.  The ethos here is to help you to help yourself.

My one concession to the views of the OP was to concede that an update of the khodadad 3.6 scripting guide would be helpful, although I doubt that he would have time to read it.

Richard

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2014, 08:27:02 PM »
Okay, for my own edification could someone new to scripting read Khodadad's tutorial and learn things that would be helpful in writing scripts in IMatch 5?

I know that they would then have to learn what terms have changed from IMatch 3.5 to IMatch 5 but I don't know how hard that would be after reading the tutorial.

Ferdinand

• 100 years since I was shot and a war was started
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2014, 11:26:19 PM »
Okay, for my own edification could someone new to scripting read Khodadad's tutorial and learn things that would be helpful in writing scripts in IMatch 5?

Do you mean the existing version or an as-yet-to-be-updated new version?  The existing version would be useful in terms of general principles, but would be misleading on points of detail.  A new version would describe the new way of doing those things that have changed, which was the OP's question.  It would do so in a more pedagogical manner manner than the help does.

Richard

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2014, 11:50:56 PM »
Do you mean the existing version

Yes I did. I know that some of the details have changed but hoped that reading it would give a newcomer the basics needed.

phbee2014

• New Members
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2014, 08:50:01 AM »
To Richard, Ferdinand,...more to come.....
I can see that you do not tolerate criticism in this forum. I was not going to give any answers to you but you urged me to respond.
I can say with some authority your request is not in keeping with the ethos of this forum.
Is the ethos of the forum to listen to and not say anything against all kinds of self proclaimed authority?
There are many other phrases that merit comments. But I have no time to waste.
At least you should know how to apologize.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2014, 09:42:42 AM »
To Richard, Ferdinand,...more to come.....
I can see that you do not tolerate criticism in this forum. I was not going to give any answers to you but you urged me to respond.
I can say with some authority your request is not in keeping with the ethos of this forum.
Is the ethos of the forum to listen to and not say anything against all kinds of self proclaimed authority?
There are many other phrases that merit comments. But I have no time to waste.
At least you should know how to apologize.

Again, please keep your tone nice and friendly. I have tried to help you. Others have tried to help you. No you insult us. This will not be tolerated.
Since I established this community over a year ago, no community member ever insulted another member. You have only 19 posts, and most of them are complaints about how other users or myself fail to do what you want.

If you have constructive criticism about IMatch, bug reports or you have a valid scripting question, please start a new thread. I will close this thread now because it does not lead to anything useful for the community.