Image Info Icon

Started by jeknepley, April 30, 2014, 04:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeknepley

Where can I determine and control the contents of the window that pops up when the "i" (info) icon associated with an image in the File Window is clicked?

Unless I'm blind, this icon isn't even shown with the rest of the File Window help page's icons. I'm sure I read about this windows in Help once upon a time, but 30 minutes of searching now didn't find it. I surrender  :-[

[attachment deleted by admin]

picolo

You can change it in the preferences | File window Tip

Cheers, Michael

JohnZeman

You also might want to study the Variables > Formatting page in help to learn how you can customize your file window tip to display the way you want.  Below is a screen shot of the way mine looks to give you an example of what you can do with it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

herman

Thanks to the responses by John and Picolo you now probably have found the information you were looking for.

Could you please mention the search terms you used in the help file?
That might help Mario to improve the help file, to add new search index entries, to do all the other magic he does  ;)
Enjoy!

Herman.

jeknepley

Quote from: herman on April 30, 2014, 09:23:27 PM
Thanks to the responses by John and Picolo you now probably have found the information you were looking for.

Could you please mention the search terms you used in the help file?
That might help Mario to improve the help file, to add new search index entries, to do all the other magic he does  ;)

I used "info icon" (among others). Now that John & Picolo told me what I'm looking for (and your question) I tried searching for Info Icon again. This time I found it at the Rank = 7 location (part way through the Using Variables topic - never would have guessed if not for John's note).

It's a good news, bad news situation searching for help. The good news is that whatever you're looking for is almost certainly there. Bad news? It's easy to overlook (or not recognize) the searched for item because of the overwhelming amount of information - 17 topics in this case. Not Mario's fault. You can't document something as complex as IM in 50 words or less.

A suggestion, though, for this specific item. If this icon were located with the rest of the File Window icons on the File Window help page (the obvious place to look) the search would be simpler (for me at least as that's where I looked first before even going to Help search).

JohnZeman

I also agree more pointers need to be added to the help file that lead to the Variables > Formatting page.  In my opinion that page is one of the most important pages in the help file for those of us who have the basics of IMatch 5 down but need a constant reference to refer to for fine tuning our file window tips, scripts, and apps.

Mario

I've included the info icon in the icon overview and a link to the configuration options.

What keywords should I add for variables? The search function in the help finds all formatting functions, etc. (full-text search). But what you see in the index has to be manually added by me.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jeknepley

Quote from: Mario on May 01, 2014, 08:20:25 AM
I've included the info icon in the icon overview and a link to the configuration options.

What keywords should I add for variables? The search function in the help finds all formatting functions, etc. (full-text search). But what you see in the index has to be manually added by me.

Adding the icon & pointers does it for me for right now. I have related questions on the topic of variables, but I'll first try digging out the answers myself - but first I need to understand what my questions are.  :-\

Here's an example though - when I first encountered something like File.MD.photools.com::IMatch\2900\lens\0 in the preferences' windows tips section, I wondered "Where did that come from?". Now I know and my next challenge is sorting & searching through the Variable Selector's Tag Selector option to find variables I want such as camera make|model. Some search results are obvious, others aren't and some - like 42 flavors of ISO - take lots of time to load and run "Test Tip" only to find it's not what you wanted. Oh well - that's the fun of doing this stuff for us techno-geeks isn't it.  :)

Mario

The Tag Selector has a "Standard" tab which shows the standard tags I have defined. One of them is Make, another Model etc. Use these if possible.

ISO tags: Yes, there are many. Because camera vendors fill these or those, depending on the make, model, firmware and phase of the moon. The standard tag ISO is the smart choice here.

When you press F1 in the tag selector you get help. Or type standard in the help index.

Tip: To try out variables, use the VarToy App.
Show the App Panel (View > Panels > App Panel), then select VarToy from the drop-down list.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jeknepley

Being able to open the tag selector to copy and paste within the VarToy app would be nice. Should I add a feature request?

JohnZeman

Quote from: jeknepley on May 01, 2014, 11:23:53 PM
Being able to open the tag selector to copy and paste within the VarToy app would be nice. Should I add a feature request?

I know this isn't what you're asking but in case you didn't know it, you can also copy any variable visible in the metadata panel by right clicking over it and choosing "Copy as Variable."

Mario

Quote from: jeknepley on May 01, 2014, 11:23:53 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. You can copy/paste in the VarToy using the right-click menu. E.g., to copy a variable from the VartToy App into the File Window Tip dialog or elsewhere.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jeknepley

John - that's basically what I wanted. Thanks.