build .140

Started by sinus, February 18, 2014, 08:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Thanks, Mario, for the new build.

I have installed and executed without troubles.
Unfortunately I have yet no time to "play with it". After loading only one thing I saw:

All the personal layouts (file window layout) inside a thumb (like headers, footers) are gone, the thumb is simply empty, when I select my personal layout.

But the defaults layout works.

Hope, I did something wrong or did not read all news (in fact I had not the time  :-[ ) or it is only a very small glitch.

Thanks for your work!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

BenAW

Just played some with the new search engine.
An enormous improvement imo.   8)
Will have a look at the other changes.

Mario

QuoteAll the personal layouts (file window layout) inside a thumb (like headers, footers) are gone, the thumb is simply empty, when I select my personal layout.

That's strange. I have not changed anything in this area. The file window layout format etc. etc. is the same as before. No changes at all.
I have currently no idea, sorry. The layouts are stored in the settings database, and this is not touched by an update...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

joel23

Yepp, great improved with the search engine. Great job in such a short time!
And the DB was reduce by 10% as well.
regards,
Joerg

ChrisMatch

Did a quick test regarding the nasty 'pencil still shown after write back' bug
and can report that this seems to be fixed  :)
GREAT work - very happy that you found it

sinus

Quote from: Mario on February 18, 2014, 10:03:10 PM
QuoteAll the personal layouts (file window layout) inside a thumb (like headers, footers) are gone, the thumb is simply empty, when I select my personal layout.

That's strange. I have not changed anything in this area. The file window layout format etc. etc. is the same as before. No changes at all.
I have currently no idea, sorry. The layouts are stored in the settings database, and this is not touched by an update...

yep, strange, but, if no other users has this problem, forget it. Because I can simply create a new one. (habe riesenstress, muss heute 12 Firmenchefs im umkreis von 150 km fotografieren ;) )

a nice day
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Good look with your mass shooting!

If you have time again, please let me know if all your custom layouts were gone (not longer available for selection in the file window) or if they just lost their contents (the fields you have configured for headers and footers).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

picolo

Same issue here...

(it's the content / It's available for selection)
Cheers, Michael

Mario

But you can change your existing layout and create new ones?

Better somebody adds a bug report then.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

oldhank

D/L 140, installed and imported 55,000 vers 3 file in about 3 hrs. on my 64 bit win 7 machine without incident. All worked as expected. I like what I see.

Thanks Mario for all your hard work and excellent connectivity with your Beta test group.

dnh

Ferdinand

I also wanted to say thanks for the new search engine.  Meets my needs too.  I would have said so in the relevant thread, but it's been locked after it was moved to "Solved".

We must be getting close, surely?

Mario

Quote from: Ferdinand on February 19, 2014, 01:21:58 PM
I would have said so in the relevant thread, but it's been locked after it was moved to "Solved".

I keep bugs "open" even when they are solved, in case users want to reply or comment. Several users commented on bugs I've moved to the 5.0.140 in the Archive today so it seems to work. Which post do you mean?

Quote from: Ferdinand on February 19, 2014, 01:21:58 PM
We must be getting close, surely?

I hope so. What's left is stabilizing, testing, a bit fine-tuning here and there. And marketing materials, web site, shop connectivity etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ferdinand

Quote from: Mario on February 19, 2014, 01:49:35 PM
Which post do you mean?

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=1692.0

Quote from: Mario on February 19, 2014, 01:49:35 PM
I hope so. What's left is stabilizing, testing, a bit fine-tuning here and there. And marketing materials, web site, shop connectivity etc.

Good.  You may recall that my brother is still waiting for his 2009 birthday present, which is ...

Mario

Ah, I see. Solved feature requests are really closed and become read-only.

Your brother will surely think it worth the wait  :)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Frank

Downloaded and it works

Great job :-)

jelvers

Mario, great achievement!! Conversion of 100.000 files went smooth, including the thumbnails. However the thumbs are fairly small although I took the standard 300 thumbnail size and display them in Standard view.. Could it be that I accidentely changed some settings. But which ones?

Juergen

Mario

Did you try making the thumbs larger via the zoom slider in the File Window toolbar?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on February 20, 2014, 05:50:28 PM
Did you try making the thumbs larger via the zoom slider in the File Window toolbar?
Yes, I did. No change in terms of picture size. Still small thumbs.

twe

Same small thumbnails here. Ran the databaseconverter, and after 9 hours it was done, and the new database ready to use. The thumbnails are too small, and is probably so because of the old Imatch 3 thumbnail size was initially 200 pixels. Ref  Im3 helpfile "By default, IMatch uses a thumbnail size of 200x200 pixels with a good quality"
Now I want to resize all thumbnails in my new database to the default 300 pixel size, and I can do this with a "Force Update" rescan, but that means another 9-10 hours rescan time, which includes reading all metadata all over again, which really is unnecessary and makes most of the databaseconverter time wasted time. Mario, is there a better way of getting thumbnails to 300 pixels ?

Mario

Quote from: jelvers on February 20, 2014, 11:49:21 PM
Quote from: Mario on February 20, 2014, 05:50:28 PM
Yes, I did. No change in terms of picture size. Still small thumbs.

This looks like 160x120 pixel thumbnails. IMatch produces these when it cannot read the embedded preview from the file and only grabs the thumbnail. But that's highly unlikely for JPEG files. The database converter just copies the existing thumbnail 1:1.

What happens  if you force IMatch 5 to re-create the thumbnail? Select a few files, and choose "Rescan" from the context menu while holding down <Ctrl> to get the extended options. Then use "Force Update". This will re-create thumbnails and everything else for the selected files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: twe on February 21, 2014, 07:23:02 AM
Same small thumbnails here. Ran the databaseconverter, and after 9 hours it was done, and the new database ready to use. The thumbnails are too small, and is probably so because of the old Imatch 3 thumbnail size was initially 200 pixels. Ref  Im3 helpfile "By default, IMatch uses a thumbnail size of 200x200 pixels with a good quality"
Now I want to resize all thumbnails in my new database to the default 300 pixel size, and I can do this with a "Force Update" rescan, but that means another 9-10 hours rescan time, which includes reading all metadata all over again, which really is unnecessary and makes most of the databaseconverter time wasted time. Mario, is there a better way of getting thumbnails to 300 pixels ?
Error messages or warnings in one of the conversion logs? The database converter just copies the thumbnails 1:1, it does not re-create or resize them...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

twe

Mario, this is not a bug report. No errors. It is just that the databaseconverter does not re-create thumbnails to the 300pixel size (the "emtpy" Im5 database has this a default setting". I suppose most users would want  thumbnails to be as specified in the NEW database before convertion starts. It would be nice if the databaseconverter could do that. Now I have to do a "Forced Update", which seams a bit redundant right after the 9hour databaseconvertion.

Mario

Sorry, but that won't be possible.
The database converter would have to reprocess all files. And it have to read the metadata, because the metadata may contain information that impacts the thumbnail generation - e.g. the EXIF rotation information, color space info, crops, ...

The database converter converts your existing database as is - including the thumbnail size. If you want larger thumbnails, in IMatch 5 than you had in IMatch 3, you have to rescan the files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on February 21, 2014, 08:25:19 AM
This looks like 160x120 pixel thumbnails. IMatch produces these when it cannot read the embedded preview from the file and only grabs the thumbnail. But that's highly unlikely for JPEG files. The database converter just copies the existing thumbnail 1:1.

What happens  if you force IMatch 5 to re-create the thumbnail? Select a few files, and choose "Rescan" from the context menu while holding down <Ctrl> to get the extended options. Then use "Force Update". This will re-create thumbnails and everything else for the selected files.

Indeed, the desired thumbnail seize appears. But it took already a while with a small number of pics.

Juergen

Mario

The performance depends on many factors, from the input format to the options you have chosen in IMatch.
If you create cache files (Edit > Preferences > Cache set to "default", for example) you can gain maybe 50% speed by temporarily disable caching. You don't need to re-create the cache files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on February 21, 2014, 02:38:58 PM
The performance depends on many factors, from the input format to the options you have chosen in IMatch.
If you create cache files (Edit > Preferences > Cache set to "default", for example) you can gain maybe 50% speed by temporarily disable caching. You don't need to re-create the cache files.

Mario many thanks for the advice.

Any views on what the reason for the small thumbs is? Anything that should be done in IMatch 3 before data converison? I guess it is better to get the thumbnail size right in the first place rather than adjusting them thereafter.

Juergen

Mario

The database converter copies the thumbnail images 1:1, converting them on-the-fly without changing their size.

This looks to me as if IMatch 3 could not read the image and was only able to extract the thumbnail, which is 160x120 pixel.
Verify this in the IMatch 3 database. Rescan the files as needed. Update your WIC codec etc and make sure it's enabled. Then do a force rescan of the files with the too small thumbnails in IMatch 3 and check that IMatch can read the files OK.

But you get all that more easily by just rescanning the images with the too small thumbnails in IMatch 5 to produce full-size thumbnails.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

After having checked by now a lot of files after data conversion, I realise that quite some pictures do not show any info in the camera dashboard of the Metadata window (see attachment below) whereas others show the info as expected (see attachment). I cannot recognise any real pattern, apart from that it is always true for a whole (sub)directory. Either all pictures show the data or they don't.

All pictures show the corresponding exif data in IMatch 3, though. I also did a (forced) rescan but no change.

Where are the data?

Juergen

jelvers

Quote from: jelvers on February 22, 2014, 01:52:15 PM
After having checked by now a lot of files after data conversion, I realise that quite some pictures do not show any info in the camera dashboard of the Metadata window (see attachment below) whereas others show the info as expected (see attachment). I cannot recognise any real pattern, apart from that it is always true for a whole (sub)directory. Either all pictures show the data or they don't.

All pictures show the corresponding exif data in IMatch 3, though. I also did a (forced) rescan but no change.

Where are the data?

Juergen

Forgot the other attachment! Sorry.

Mario

The dashboard uses metadata embedded in the image. What does the Metadata Panel in Browser mode show for the file in question?
I cannot tell this from your screen shots.
Maybe there is a problem with the metadata in the file?
Did you try to reload the metadata via Shift+Ctrl+F5?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on February 22, 2014, 02:38:47 PM
The dashboard uses metadata embedded in the image. What does the Metadata Panel in Browser mode show for the file in question?
I cannot tell this from your screen shots.
Maybe there is a problem with the metadata in the file?
Did you try to reload the metadata via Shift+Ctrl+F5?
Metadata Browser doesn't show anything, only after I apply Shift+Ctrl+F5  Force Update I can see info about file extension, file folder, file format, file name and lifetime id. So, much less than with other pictures that show the expected image info. If I apply instead of force update the "Reload Metadata" otion, an info window opens telling me that "Some Metdata is protected". But this is true for the pics with image info data as well.

Mario

If the browser shows no data even after a forced metadata reload, the file has no metadata or ExifTool is unable to extract the data. Maybe it does not exist or is corrupt.

The ExifTool output panel and the IMatch log file will contain additional information.
Open the ExifTool output panel.
Reload the metadata for the file again.
Check the panel for any warnings or error messages.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on February 22, 2014, 04:27:10 PM
If the browser shows no data even after a forced metadata reload, the file has no metadata or ExifTool is unable to extract the data. Maybe it does not exist or is corrupt.

The ExifTool output panel and the IMatch log file will contain additional information.
Open the ExifTool output panel.
Reload the metadata for the file again.
Check the panel for any warnings or error messages.
Mario,

unfortunately there are no warnings or errors in the ExifTool output panel after trying to reload the metadata.

What I did then, was to create a new small database in IM 3, where I included some pics who showed Image Info data and some who didn't, respectively, in IM5 after my earlier data conversion.
The conversion process with the new small database with the "mixed pics" into IM5 was done successfully (no errors or warnings). Funnily enough, now the data conversion delivered ALL pics now WITHOUT image info. Subsequent "Reloading Metadata" didn't deliver any messages in the ExifTool Output panel nor a change in the Image Info window.
I have attached the pic which was converted successfully earlier (first attachment), and then the same pic after the conversion with the small database (sec. attachment).

So, I am not sure, whether it is to do with corrupt data. Because it worked during one run.

Juergen

jelvers

Quote from: jelvers on February 23, 2014, 04:19:29 PM

What I did then, was to create a new small database in IM 3, where I included some pics who showed Image Info data and some who didn't, respectively, in IM5 after my earlier data conversion.

Just a little addition to my earlier message. This time I converted a database into IM5 which contained only one pic that didn't show Image Info during an earlier run and nine pics that displayed the expected info earlier. After conversion of the new small database (I hardly trusted my eyes!) ALL 10 pics now show the Image Info, including that one which didn't show the info in the first place.

I will continue to convert parts of my database and see what happens.

Juergen

Mario

When IMatch fails to extract metadata for whatever reason, the log file will contain warnings and error messages. I would like to see the log files from your attempts. Just attach them here.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on February 23, 2014, 06:40:54 PM
When IMatch fails to extract metadata for whatever reason, the log file will contain warnings and error messages. I would like to see the log files from your attempts. Just attach them here.

Here are the log files. The first one (IMatchDBConverterLog No Image Info.txt) refers to a IM5 database that didn't show any Image Info of the pictures after conversion from IM3. The second one (IMatchDBConverterLog Image Info.txt) shows that info with all pics. In addition it contains one picture that was now converted correctly but wasn't in the first case.

Juergen

Mario

The first file contains only one warning, about a non-existing file (G:\PHOTO CANON\2012\AUSFLÃœGE 2012\AUSFLUEGE 2012 temp\BARNIN 2012 RAW 0003 corr.jpg)
Only 5 files are processed in this log.

The second log file is completely clean. 6 files are processed in this log file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jelvers

Quote from: Mario on February 24, 2014, 12:21:49 PM
The first file contains only one warning, about a non-existing file (G:\PHOTO CANON\2012\AUSFLÃœGE 2012\AUSFLUEGE 2012 temp\BARNIN 2012 RAW 0003 corr.jpg)
Only 5 files are processed in this log.

The second log file is completely clean. 6 files are processed in this log file.

Mario, many thanks for fast response. Still the question stays open, why the converted database in the first case did NOT show the Image Info of a certain file (G:\PHOTO CANON\2012\AUSFLÜGE 2012\AUSFLUEGE 2012 temp\GINGER 2012 007 corr.jpg') whereas the same file showed the Image Info in the second case after conversion (See attachments including one that shows the EXif info of that respective file in IM3).

If I am the only one with that sort of problem it's probably not worth while to dig further but I thought it may be of interest for the community.

Anyway, many thanks for taking that up unil now.

Juergen

Mario

I have no idea. Most users converted their database a couple of weeks ago when the converter was released. There were very few problems only.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator