1. step: Import into IM5 (indexing)

Started by sinus, February 06, 2014, 10:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

(sorry, this is in fact my first step .. except take pictures and so on  ;) )

STEP 1:

I put the SD-Card from my Nikon (D80, D100, D7000 ...) into the USB-cardholder and drag and drop these files (raw/nef) into a special folder, say called "import new images".

IMatch 5 will import these files automatically.

In the preferences from IM5 I choosed some stuff, so these pics will have

collections:
- a red flag (indicating, that this image is new)
- a red dot (indicating, that this image is not choosen now)

categories:
- Meta in progress (light green cat, under the image)
- Copy in progress (yellow cat, under the image)
- Archiving in progress (light blue cat under the image)

In the Metadata-preferences I choosed the default from IM5.
After this I get thumbs like in my uploads.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

DieterSnoopy

Hi Markus,
seems be very interesting also for my workflow. Is it possible for you to explain this a little bit more, the screen shot show not all categories and also not the formular.

sinus

Quote from: DieterSnoopy on February 08, 2014, 02:24:52 PM
Hi Markus,
seems be very interesting also for my workflow. Is it possible for you to explain this a little bit more, the screen shot show not all categories and also not the formular.

Hi Dieter,

sorry, as soon as it is possible for me, I will write some more details (my workflow is still in progress).
Markus

Yakwin

I am actually changing from IM3.6 to IM5.
I use the GAMB workflow with IM3.6. It seems that your workflow is very similar. New pictures are imported from a special "import folder" with the Help of a script.
Unfortunately the script is not working in IM5. It would be helpful if you can share your experiences and maybe scripts...
Thanks

sinus

Quote from: Yakwin on June 18, 2014, 08:00:20 AM
I am actually changing from IM3.6 to IM5.
I use the GAMB workflow with IM3.6. It seems that your workflow is very similar. New pictures are imported from a special "import folder" with the Help of a script.
Unfortunately the script is not working in IM5. It would be helpful if you can share your experiences and maybe scripts...
Thanks

Sorry, I am still not ready to "migrate" from 3.6 to IM5.
And I will use only a few scripts, I guess, because IM5 offers a lot of native support for my workflow (like the renamer).
And the GAMB-workflow was finally too complicated for me, while very interesting.

If I am ready, I will write it here, but sorry, it takes time...
Markus

vpv

Sorry for dumb question - What is  GAMB-workflow? Thank you

stahl

Quote from: vpv on January 06, 2015, 09:59:32 PM
Sorry for dumb question - What is  GAMB-workflow? Thank you

The GAMB-Workflow was a model workflow based on a set of four highly sophisticated scripts. It ran on IMatch 3 and offered versioning, a unique image identifier, comprehensive re-naming, archiving, copying and editing support, all of it highly customisable. It had been derived from sinus' then workflow.
In the late 2000s, I had developed the workflow and its scripts further to form "SAMBA" workflow scripts. I am still working with them on IM3. I did not develop a public version in the end, because IM5 seemed around the corner. IM5 now incorporates many of the functionalities that SAMBA had/has. Right now I am actually looking if and how the SAMBA scripts' functionalities still make sense when switching to IM5.

sinus

Indexing:

In my workflow I have one folder, called in my case "import new images". (how you name this folder is not important).

I put ALL new files into this folder.
This folder is indexed by IMatch. Depending if you have automatically background indexing (preferences) enabled or not, you do have later these images in this folder in IM5.

Then I do select an event (images, what I want have together) and rename this and put them into another folder and so on.

Because I do drop all files into this folder, also word-docs and so on, this folder is sometimes empty (when I had enough time to process all files  ;D), and sometimes has some different, not processed files, spanned over several days.

Now what I do to find and process files in this folder, I do not search in the Media&Folder tab, but in the categories tab.

I have created there a category for this folder with a formula:

"import new images" AND "@Collection[Added|Today]"

This means, IMatch does display me all files in this folder, but only the files from today.
Or with another formula

"import new images" AND "@Collection[Added|LastWeek]"

from last week and so I have created several such "time-formulas", like last month and further.

When I drop new files or search some files, I go simply into the categories and can exactly see, what for files I have indexed new today, or last week and so on.

This is very convenient for me. Even if I have dropped several files from several sources into my first folder, I can find the files very quickly. No search in the folder itself, simply go to the categorie view and choose, want I look for the files from today, for last week or even all files in the folder?! Easy.  :D

Maybe Mario could add a possibility more in the category formulas:

display the files, what I have dropped into the folder, from tomorrow!   ;D ;D ;D

Markus