Author Topic: Basic Metadata HTML App template  (Read 5330 times)

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
  • I'm too damn old to act my age.
Basic Metadata HTML App template
« on: February 02, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »
This very simple HTML template app for displaying metadata is intended for anyone who would like to create their own HTML template app but have little or no knowledge about HTML.  There is no JavaScript involved, no special processing, all it does is to simply display some of the selected image's metadata.

Virtually every line of html code in the basicviewer.htm file is explained by a comment.

The styles.css file contains the formatting (colors, font size, etc.) for the app.

To use this app, put the bmv folder in the zipfile in your IMatch 5 apppanel user folder.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Basic Metadata HTML App template
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »
I also suggest having a look at the Basic App which is shipped with IMatch.
It's a heavily documented, simplest possible app, great as a starting point for your own apps.

bonsai

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »
Very nice John, thank you :)
This is the right tool for a dummy like me 8)

hro

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 11:15:01 PM »
Very nice. Thank you John. Gives me another tool to learn how to do a panel myself.  :)

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:12:00 AM »
I also suggest having a look at the Basic App which is shipped with IMatch.
It's a heavily documented, simplest possible app, great as a starting point for your own apps.

Thanks all.

Mario a year or so ago your basic HTML app is what gave me a starting point for creating my own apps. ;D  I should have mentioned this app is intended to build upon your basic app concentrating primarily on explaining what each line of HTML code for tables does.

Over the years as I've attempted to learn something new, scripting, apps, whatever, I've always needed something simple that works to get me going in the right direction. ;)

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 08:58:35 AM »
It's always helpful to explain the same thing from multiple angles.

As I always say, "I'm spoiled." I work in IT for too long to really understand non-IT folks and the mysterious ways they work with computers. I try to think like an user when I write stuff for the help or create sample scripts and Apps, but it's always good to see another approach or way to tackle the topic.

Apps are definitely an advanced topic. Really cool things can be achieved, but the road is steep and the more help and examples we have, the better.

HTML Templates are easier for 'normal' users because it's usually just copy/replace and finding the right variable.

cytochrome

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »
This is nice John, and even nicer: it helped me to try to modify some code, I always found html intimidating.

By the way, I changed some variables because they didn't retrieve information for my NEF and RW2.

I changed

- {File.MD.Exif::Main\37377\ShutterSpeedValue\0|value:formatted} to {File.MD.Exif::Main\33434\ExposureTime\0|value:formatted}

- {File.MD.XMP::aux\Lens\Lens\0} to {File.MD.photools.com::IMatch\2900\lens\0}}

- {File.MD.Exif::Main\37378\ApertureValue\0} to {File.MD.Composite\Aperture\Aperture\0}

I also put width and height on a single line like Width x Height and added a metering mode  ({File.MD.Exif::Main\37383\MeteringMode\0}) . I have to decrypt the modes (1,2,3...) and do a replace like in your example for program mode.

I suppose your choice of variables is geared towards Canon file?

Francis

PS For Nikon users the tag values are here : http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/Nikon.html

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:54:42 PM by cytochrome »

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »
Thanks Francis.  What you did is exactly why I released this app, to give folks a starting point for building their own metadata viewer apps.  I'm not surprised you had to change a few variables, I do shoot Canon, but I suspect some of the variables I used just aren't the best ones since a variation of this app was the very first app I ever created for IMatch.  Created way back when I was still sorting through which variables were best for which values.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »
Typical metadata mess. Many camera vendors only supply some of the standard EXIF variables. And often take liberties at values for lens, ISO, white balance and whatnot. ExifTool does a good job trying to come up with some standard tags which use different values. The IMatch Standard Tags go further and sometimes look into 3,4 or more tags to come up with a standard tag like "Lens". This usually overcomes the subtle differences between different camera vendors and metadata format variants.

Tip: Check out the ShortCodes for metadata you can use in variables (search for ShortCodes in the help).

DigPeter

• Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 05:03:43 PM »
.... non-IT folks and the mysterious ways they work with computers.

LOL - this non IT old fella finds IT folk's ways mysterious!

I try to think like an user when I write stuff for the help
But you do a very good job of it  :D

cytochrome

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 06:39:54 PM »
Tip: Check out the ShortCodes for metadata you can use in variables (search for ShortCodes in the help).

Excellent. I had missed this completely  :-[

I had a hard time first because I used Aperture instead of aperture. Of course it is noted in the help and (of course) I went fast and didn't notice..

Francis

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:54:17 PM by cytochrome »

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 06:50:59 PM »
Excellent. I had missed this completely  :-[
Francis

IMatch is mighty. Not even I can remember everything, which is why the help is so good. I use it for my own reference!
My hope was that testers working with IMatch 5 for a couple of months now sit down and write up some "Know-how" posts or "How I did it" posts. Like this one, from John.

There is an extra section for this: https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?board=44.0

We already have some, but more would be helpful for all users. I cannot do all this, unfortunately. I plan to write some how-to's or even make some video tutorials later. Just did a session with a user group on how to use Annotations efficiently in an agency workflow. Maybe this will be the first video tutorial...

sinus

• Global Moderator
  • IMatch-User since 2001 (IMatch 3.6)
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 07:32:23 PM »
Very good done, John.

I found out NOW how to edit the lines ... means I looked before at the wrong htm (from basic - app)  :-\ :-[ :-\

If I want add into your app also some Attributes, could you give me an example, if you find the time?!
Would be very nice of you.

This varibles

{File.AT.Image.Bem_allgemein}

works for example for me in the Var toy.

If I had one example of you, I think, I am able to write some other attributes too.

Specially attributes would be fine for me to display them in an app, because the Attributes-panel is only able to display the fields horizontal, but for better reading, line after line, vertically, would be much better.

(also writing would be vertically better (like in IM3), but I think, this is far more complicated to script it, and finally I am happy, that Mario added something like the attributes, hence I want not grumble  ;D )

But though IM5 is VERY mighty, I am sure, at the end I will work with some "personally" scripts, because they can fit exactly into my own workflow and does makes life easier.

I should praise the day, when Mario decided to implement a scripting-language!  :)

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 07:49:04 PM »
I should praise the day, when Mario decided to implement a scripting-language!

I just 'add' this to IMatch. I license it from a company called Polar Engineering. And the scripting language costs per years as much as all the other software I use to create IMatch together. And since Basic is dying (slowly) I would rather put my focus on JavaScript and HTML apps...

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 01:41:19 AM »
If I want add into your app also some Attributes, could you give me an example, if you find the time?!
Would be very nice of you.

This varibles

{File.AT.Image.Bem_allgemein}

works for example for me in the Var toy.

Markus if your attribute variable works in the Var Toy it should also work in the Basic Metadata Viewer by just replacing any other variable there with your attribute variable.  Does it not work for you?

Mario the scripting was the #1 reason I chose IMatch several years ago. ;)  True, I don't need nearly as many scripts now with version 5, but it's still nice to have that extra flexibility. ;D

sinus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 07:08:48 AM »
I should praise the day, when Mario decided to implement a scripting-language!

I just 'add' this to IMatch. I license it from a company called Polar Engineering. And the scripting language costs per years as much as all the other software I use to create IMatch together. And since Basic is dying (slowly) I would rather put my focus on JavaScript and HTML apps...

Thanks for the tip with JavaScript and HTML ...  :)
Markus

sinus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 07:11:18 AM »

Markus if your attribute variable works in the Var Toy it should also work in the Basic Metadata Viewer by just replacing any other variable there with your attribute variable.  Does it not work for you?

Mario the scripting was the #1 reason I chose IMatch several years ago. ;)  True, I don't need nearly as many scripts now with version 5, but it's still nice to have that extra flexibility. ;D

John, hi,

In VarToy it works, but not in your app. But I am sure, it will, I have to try again and more ... at the moment I have not enough time, unfortunately (on the other side fortunately I have not time, because I must work, hence earn money  ;) )

THANKS, have a nice day.
Markus

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 08:20:18 AM »

I have no plans to drop the Basic scripting engine. The support for HTML and JavaScript in the App panel just brings us into the future.

Ferdinand

• 100 years since I was shot and a war was started
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »
scripting was the #1 reason I chose IMatch several years ago. ;)

+1 (10 years ago).

sinus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
Just did a session with a user group on how to use Annotations efficiently in an agency workflow. Maybe this will be the first video tutorial...

Mario, I guess, you have not more information about your session in relation to Annotations?
Sounds very interesting, a pity, that I was not a member of this session.  8)
Markus

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »
Nope, sorry.

But annotations are not a real complex topic. Usually the users agree on what to do how, which stamps or other objects to use, and that's it.