Unexpected behaviour with value-splitting and hierarchy detection

Started by dcb, January 11, 2014, 01:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcb

I'm getting unexpected behaviour from value-splitting when combined with hierarchy detection in data driven categories. The plan is to have a two level hierarchy with the first level coming from the XMP-IPTC Event field, and the second from the images year. For example, the event Christmas would result in:

( dash added to help show hierarchy)

- Christmas

This works. It even works when I create a sub-category at the event, eg, Christmas | Christmas Day gives

- Christmas
    - 1999                           (all Christmas images for 1999)
    - Christmas Day
           - 1999                    (all Christmas Day images for 1999)

This is hierarchy splitting as described. All good.

When I add a second value to Event, things get screwed up e.g, Christmas | Christmas Day, UK 1999-2000 | Christmas in Austria. I would expect

- Christmas
    - 1999                           (all Christmas images for 1999)
    - Christmas Day
           - 1999                    (all Christmas Day images for 1999)
- UK 1999-2000
    - Christmas in Austria

When I combine value splitting with hierarchies things get messy. See attached preview screen shot.

The problem is occurring at this level.  Have attached screenshots of category set up as well. It looks like IMatch does the splits and includes the original value.

-David

[attachment deleted by admin]
Have you backed up your photos today?

dcb

No reply to this yet. Some more digging an testing has shown that if I remove the ; from the Value-splitting field and replace all ; with , it works as I would expect it to. The trigger was Marios comment here where he points to a problem with ; elsewhere in the metadata system.
Have you backed up your photos today?