Author Topic: Move your scripts folder to Dropbox for simple version control  (Read 3397 times)

dcb

Move your scripts folder to Dropbox for simple version control
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:28:11 PM »
The free version of Dropbox will keep prior versions of a file for up to 30 days. You can use this to your advantage when scripting if you ever need to go back to an earlier version of a script.

• Copy the scripts folder from C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch5\Scripts to a Dropbox location of your choice
  • In Preferences | Application, edit the folder to point to your new location (see attachment for my location)
  • Reboot IMatch (you'll be prompted to do this)
  • Make yourself familiar with How do I recover a previous version on the Dropboxsite.

-David

[attachment deleted by admin]
Have you backed up your photos today?

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Move your scripts folder to Dropbox for simple version control
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:12:18 AM »
No need to use a cloud service for that. Especially not one moving data into the U.S. - for privacy and data security reasons.
But if you do, remember to use always use something like BoxCrypt or TrueCrypt before you give your data into the hands of cloud services. You'll never know who else is listening and scanning your data, for whatever purpose. Thanks, Edward.</ rant off>

If you work with scripts (or other text-based files) and you want real but simple versioning, an alternative is to use TortoiseSVN, a great and free version control system. It plugs right into Windows Explorer and allows you to do proper version management, with built-in "diff" ('what did I change between version 11 and 12 of this script?'), merge, rollback to previous versions and much more. Works with multiple users, can be used over the web, can hold any amount of data, any file type etc.

I use Subversion and Tortoise for IMatch revision control (including source codes, scripts, presets etc.). The translators doing the IMatch translations are working with Tortoise over the web to coordinate their work in a safe way.

And yes, I also use Dropbox, on my smart phone. But for real cloud storage I recently switched to a cloud service hosting data in a German data center. I use BoxCrypt to encrypt the files transparently on my local system before they are moved into the cloud with Duplicati. Easy, automatic and safe. And versioning with the ability to go several weeks or months back on each file in the cloud is also included. 50 GB for only 5€/month. Fair deal  :)

Carlo Didier

• Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 03:41:22 PM »
May we know what cloud service you use? (you can mail it to me if you don't want to post it here publicly)

joel23

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:38:46 PM »
May we know what cloud service you use? (you can mail it to me if you don't want to post it here publicly)
Not sure to whom the question was directed to...
Anyway, since Dropbox appointed Condoleezza Rice to their board in April 2014, I use copy.com (15GB free)
regards,
Joerg