Author Topic: Script conversion helper tool in the works?  (Read 4114 times)

DavidOfMA

• Writer/Photographer/Therapist
Script conversion helper tool in the works?
« on: December 29, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a smart search-and-replace tool that could be used to do the bulk of the conversion work of scripts from IMatch 3.6 to 5. Something that one could plug in a list of the old method names and the new method names and search one or more scripts and make reasonably intelligent changes. I wouldn't expect this to be perfect, but something that automated 90% of the process seems possible.  One of the reasons I've stayed with IMatch over the past 12 years is its great extensibility due to scripting, and reworking the scripts I use regularly by hand seems a bit daunting.

Long ago, when I worked at Digital Equipment Corporation as a technical writer, we had to do mass conversions of documents written in Runoff to the new markup language. Everyone said automatic conversion was too complex, but eventually we figured out a kludge, using an intelligent batch converter, that did everything but tables. Something similar to that would be a great asset here.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Script conversion helper tool in the works?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 07:05:28 PM »
I doubt that such a thing will be possible. Or worth the effort.
Many of the scripts written for IMatch 3 are no longer needed for IMatch 5, because IMatch 5 has the same functionality, or similar, built-in.

And for new stuff, I recommend writing Apps in JavaScript and HTML, not in Basic. I included the Basic scripting engine in order to make migration possible or simpler. And Basic is still better for some specific tasks. But I would always first check if it can be written as an IMatch 5 App before I write it in Basic.

JohnZeman

• Global Moderator
  • I'm too damn old to act my age.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 07:22:33 PM »
When I upgraded my scripts to version 5 I simply used the Search and Replace tool to do the bulk of my updating.

Ferdinand

• 100 years since I was shot and a war was started
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 11:44:45 PM »
When I upgraded my scripts to version 5 I simply used the Search and Replace tool to do the bulk of my updating.

Me also.  I compiled a text document of the changes I made in the order I made them.  In a few places it is important to do them in the correct order.  I may clean this up and make it readable and post it somewhere, when time permits.

Carlo Didier

• Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:59:17 AM »
And I don't want to learn yet another programming language. Converting existing scripts from IM3 to IM5 is simpler than starting from scratch with a language that I don't know.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
The scripting language used by IMatch 3.6.118 and IMatch 5 are identical.

The difference is the object model, which has to be updated to include all the new features in IMatch 5. And I took the chance to clean it up a bit. My impression is that there seem to be maybe 50 users who really do scripting in Basic. I wonder if this is worth the thousands of US$ I have to pay each year for the annual license fee...

The object model can also be used from JavaScript (free) in HTML 5 (free) in the App Panel (free). There is currently just no development environment I could offer. The built-in developer tools in Internet Explorer don't work in the Web Browser control used in the App panel - otherwise we had an editor, debugger and everything there as well.

Carlo Didier

• Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:49:13 PM »
And I don't want to learn yet another programming language.
was with reference to
..., I recommend writing Apps in JavaScript and HTML, not in Basic. ...
concerning javascript

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 08:12:35 PM »
I see. Totally understandable.

Yet, since Basic is a thing of the past, and JavaScript / HTML is what drives the web (and many Apps running on smart phones) it may be interesting to look into it.