Metadata (Adding Location, City, State data)

Started by kiwilink, June 29, 2013, 09:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

When I choose a photo under "Media and Folders" under Metatdata on the right side of the screen I see "Location" and it appears to allow me to add City, Country, and State.  I assumed that this would be a dropdown and when I put in the first few letters of a state a standard template with all of the states of the U.S. would show up and I would scroll up or down to choose the state (like I see on standard web sites) but it doesn't work that way.  Am I to assume that I have to "build" or add the 50 U.S. States so that I can choose them when I want to add the location data to a photo?

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Mike

Richard

I doubt that Mario has provided a list of state or providence for every country. We will have to build our own but once done, they can be shared with other users.

I would suggest the first step be to read the topic "The Universal Thesaurus" in Help.
I will also suggest a form like: WHERE|USA|Alaska;WHERE|USA|Alabama;

Richard

Try importing the attachment into Keywords.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jch2103

I haven't worked much with import/export of Thesaurus data, but I had an issue with importing Richard's very useful text file. If I set the option to 'Merge with existing data', the data weren't imported. (I had an existing 'Where' node in my Thesaurus.) If I set the option to 'Replace existing data' the data in the text file were imported, but of course all other existing data were deleted. It appears that 'Merge' only works if there isn't an existing category with the same name. (So I developed a workaround of temporarily renaming the imported group level.)

Is this a bug or a feature?

John

Mario

The Default metadata panel layout displays the standard tags used for location info. This basically displays what is already in the file, e.g. after you have used a software like GeoSetter to geo-code your files. Or, if your files already contain GPS coordinates, you can use the GeoNames App in IMatch 5 (App Panel) to convert these coordinates into location info like City, Street, Country.

You can also use the Map panel to assign GPS coordinates to your files, and then use the Locations feature in the Map panel to associate the coordinates with location info like location, city, country. This allows you later to geo-code files with a few mouse-clicks, and even automatically map GPS coordinates in your files to location info when IMatch is ingesting files into the database (via Metadata Templates).

Like all metadata tags, City, Street, Country etc. can also be edited manually in the Metadata Panel. If you want to avoid typing the same info over and over again, you can add data to the Thesaurus for the given tag. This produces the "drop-down" lists you have been looking for.

When you click on the drop-down button, the menu offers you to open the thesaurus, or add new text to the thesaurus. Basically you type in a location name and press F6 to add it to your thesaurus. The next time, this location name will be available from the menu, IMatch offers it when you start typing in the location field etc.
This is a quick way to setup your own list of locations, countries, cities. The same schema also works for other metadata, like Copyright, Author, Headline - because the IMatch thesaurus is universal and works for all metadata tags.

If you plan to setup a large list of locations, countries or whatever, it will be easier to work with the Thesaurus directly. Open the Thesaurus Editor via the toolbar button and then start using it to setup your own entries. See the Thesaurus topic in the IMatch 5 help to learn about what you can do with this feature.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

QuoteI haven't worked much with import/export of Thesaurus data, but I had an issue with importing Richard's very useful text file.
Please file a bug report. I've almost missed this and I think I should investigate. It should work. For which tag did you import Richard's list?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on June 30, 2013, 09:03:55 AM
QuoteI haven't worked much with import/export of Thesaurus data, but I had an issue with importing Richard's very useful text file.
Please file a bug report. I've almost missed this and I think I should investigate. It should work. For which tag did you import Richard's list?

See bug report: https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?action=post;board=22.0
I was attempting to merge my existing Thesaurus Keywords 'Where' hierarchy and the 'Where' hierarchy in Richard's list.
John

kiwilink

Thanks Richard and eveyone for the suggestions.  I will wait for the bug report and then continue with this!!!