Auto Tagger - Apply GPS Coordinates of Landmark Problem

Started by banzai, April 30, 2023, 12:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banzai

I have a .NEF file taken in 2007 wich depicst the Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin, it has according GPS info set.

I use the AutoTagger and have activated the options "Keywords, Landmarks, Apply GPS coordinates of landmark to image". I'm using google vision.

When I get the suggested keywords, also "GPS coordinates found" is displayed in green with a checkmark.
I have the metadata panel open while doing all this. I can see that GPS Latitude, GPS Longitude, GPS Altitude and GPS Timestamp have a value.

But as soon as I click "Apply suggested keywords", the Latitude and Longitude values or gone. Rest stays.
The file was already reverse geocoded, so it has an address set under "Location", but I don't know if that has any connection to the problem.

What confuses me, is that in the map panel, there's still a map marker shown for the file, on the correct location.

Also only the master (the selected file is a version stack with master (NEF) and two versions (DNG, JPG)) shows this problem. When I propagate data to versions, the versions keep their Latitude and Longitude.

To dig a little bit deeper, I deleted all location related info for the JPG version in the metadata panel (under Location and GPS) and wrote back the metadata. But the image still shows the globe icon and the tooltip says the file has GPS info. Also map marker is displayed. Do I have to look somewhere else for this data?

Ciao,   banzai

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

banzai

I wrote back the metadata, but nothing's changing visibly.
- Latitude/longitude still empty on master in metadata panel
- Globe icon is shown, map marker is shown
- Although propagation to versions should be done, versions keep their info

It's like the GPS info is actually there somewhere, but just not shown in metadata panel.

One more interesting thing: yesterday the globe icon definitively disappeared when I was applying keywords with AutoTagger because that's how I noticed this problem in the first place. But I cannot reproduce this today.

In the version definitions, propagation of EXIF GPS data is activated for both version types in use.

Mario

QuoteIn the version definitions, propagation of EXIF GPS data is activated for both version types in use.
That already may be the cause of the problem. IMatch works with GPS data stored in XMP and updates only GPS data stored in XMP. During write-back, this will be mapped back to native EXIF GPS if the file has it.
Propagating native GPS data between files can very likely break this mechanism. As a general rule, only propagate XMP data. Propagating native GPS, EXIF or legacy IPTC data is only needed for specific circumstances.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

banzai

Ok, I turned that off. Only propagating XMP now.

Then I have manually set the GPS marker, wrote back metadata, all files (master and versions) looked good.

But when I use AutoTagger and apply keywords, the behavior is still the same, Latitude, Longitude disappears.

One more observation: When I hover over the globe icon (of the master), tooltip says "this file has GPS coordinates".
When I hover over "i" icon, tooltip does NOT say "GPS data available", like it is happening with the versions. The versions show GPS data in both tooltips.

Mario

I have tested this and could reproduce it. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
The AutoTagger accidentally set the "location shown" coordinates instead of the "location" coordinates.

The fix for this bug will be included in the IMatch 2023 code base.
If this is urgent for you, let me know and I send you an updated AutoTagger app.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator