Problems transferring Metadata via 'Versioning'

Started by moviemaker445, March 30, 2023, 12:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moviemaker445

I have been trying to copy the GPS coordinates from one set of files to another by using File Relation Definitions.

The files are in pairs, with the sources being MOV files and the targets are JPG frames extracted from the MOV files.

An example of a typical pair is:

Source file:    MvcPr_0169 [2017-09-24 @ 08;24;41]_mo.mov

Target file:    MvcPr_0169 [2017-09-24 @ 08;24;41]_mo(j).jpg

In the Detection tab, I have the

Master Expression =    \.mov$

and Link Expression =    ^{name}.*\.jpg$

The 'Expression Tester' and gives a match when loaded with the Master Filename and Version Filename.

IN the Versioning tab, I set 'What to propagate' =     EXIF GPS Data   (is the only GPS available)

Using the 'EXIF GPS Data' option in the 'What to propagate' doesn't seem to successfully transfer the GPS coordinates from the MOV file to the JPG file.

I'm very new to the use of Versioning and can't figure out what the problem is.
Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Mario

I doubt MOV files have EXIF GPS data. Did you check, e.g. with the ExifTool Command Processor?
IMatch maintains GPS data as part of the XMP record for each file. If you see GPS coordinates in the Metadata Panel, try propagating XMP metadata instead.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

moviemaker445

Thanks Mario. I was concerned that the existing XMP Location info (Location, City, State & Country) in the JPGs may be deleted because the MOV files Location fields (except GPS), were blank.

Is the protocol for Version entry copying in the Help system?

I have noticed previously that if a field in the Target is different to the Master before the Relations are established, it is not overwritten during Version copying even if the same field in the information in Master is edited. Is there an option to overwrite cells in the Target if they already contain entries prior to being 'Related'?

Mario

When your MOV file contains EXIF GPS data (you did not answer my question) and ExifTool can handle it, it will end up in XMP GPS records and you can see it in the Metadata Panel.
When you copy XMP from the MOV to the JPG, this will allow the GPS coordinates to travel.

All this can be tested in minute and you will see the results immediately. Beats a lot of guessing, which is all I can do since I don't have your MOV file, your JPEG file or your file version rule.

QuoteIs the protocol for Version entry copying in the Help system? 

Define protocol.

QuoteI have noticed previously that if a field in the Target is different to the Master before the Relations are established, it is not overwritten during Version copying even if the same field in the information in Master is edited. Is there an option to overwrite cells in the Target if they already contain entries prior to being 'Related'?

Metadata propagation happens when you modify the master and write back.
Or explicitly propagate by <F4>,<P> or Commands > Relations > Propagate

Which data is copied depends on your relation rule.
IMatch will as usual also sync EXIF, GPS and legacy IPTC when you propagate.

Note that metadata propagation and versioning is an advanced concept for advanced users. Metadata is messy but if your files have quality standardized metadata (not some crap copied together by other applications out there) and you propagate XMP data only, it will work just fine.

Trying to copy native data like EXIF or GPS between files is not recommended, especially not between vastly different file formats like video files and image files. And what some cameras write as EXIF GPS is all but.

If your source or target files contain messy metadata, propagation may not work. Or not the way you think it works. This is not a fault of IMatch but a consequence of messy metadata standards and the incomplete or mangled state of metadata we often found in the files of users who let all kinds of "entry-level" or uncaring software fiddle with the metadata in their files.

The first thing is always to check the quality of the existing metadata in the files using the Metadata Analyst.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

Just in case: If you are not familiar with versioning, use a small test database with a copy of a small number of files when you try to figure out things like versioning and propagation. Because propagation changes (oder might change) metadata in your files, I would never work with my "productiion" files to try things out. (Maybe you do this already, then please ignore my post ;) )
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

moviemaker445

Quote from: Mario on March 30, 2023, 01:32:52 PMDid you check, e.g. with the ExifTool Command Processor?
I had a look at this and it appears that the GPS info is in XMP

The camera certainly didn't have GPS capabilities so I suspect the GPS info was added by Digikam.

My reference to 'Protocol' was possibly an incorrect term, but what I was trying to figure out is:
If the Master file has data in a field, will the corresponding field in the Target be overwritten unconditionally?
If the Target field already contains an entry that is different to the Master, will that entry be retained or will it be overwritten by the data in the Master file (or deleted if the Master field is blank)?

moviemaker445

Quote from: thrinn on March 31, 2023, 03:38:53 PMIf you are not familiar with versioning, use a small test database with a copy of a small number of files when you try to figure out things like versioning and propagation.

Thanks for the tip Thrinn. Yes I am learning the IMatch 'ropes' by working with copies of some of my files. Better safe than sorry as the saying goes  :)