A "real" timeline

Started by sinus, January 27, 2023, 08:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Until now I have not used the events in IMatch. I have now started reading the help and realised that I have a lot to learn, looks fascinating, the events.
Therefore, I would like to ask you in advance whether it is possible to use the timeline of events.

Let's assume I have 50 pictures.
They are scattered over 50 years, let's say 1950-2000.
But the photos are not even in time, for example, 1950-1960 there are only a few pictures, but 1961 there are 5 pictures.

That means the 50 pictures are not evenly distributed on a horizontal time line, sometimes there are many in a small space, then there is another gap.

Question:
Can I realise something like this with the events?
If this is not possible with the events/timeline, does anyone have an idea how to realise this?

Of course I can do it with Design&Print, but unfortunately not dynamically. That is, I can do it well there "manually", but as soon as I take other pictures, it doesn't work automatically. I have created shortly such a timeline, see the attachement. But of course this is a bad timeline, but it should make clear, what I mean.

The same with attachement two, this timeline about Bill Gates goes also in the direction, what I mean. 

Thanks for answers or ideas. 
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

The Event Timeline by default folds away unused time to produce a more compact layout.
This means that if you have an event in June 2021 and another in January 2023 but nothing in-between, the Event Timeline axis will not show the months between these two events. They will show next to each other, and the timeline at the bottom will show you exactly where these events are located,

I've called this Smart Axis Folding and explained it in the help.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Thanks, Mario
for your answer. For most of the cases, I think, this Smart Axis Folding makes a lot sense.

I think, I have to read in the next time about the IMatch-Events. Good lecture for the night.  ;D
Markus

Mario

Events are very unique and very powerful and comfortable.

Most people thing in events when they thing about photos they took, so this should feel very natural to you. You go to a client/market etc., create a series of photos => the photos create an event like "Shooting Client A".
All photo sessions of a year line up along the Event timeline neatly. If you did multiple sessions a day, the corresponding events are stacked for that day. Same for non-commercial events like vacations, birthdays, weddings etc.

I wonder why you have not used events before. Thy should be perfect for your kind of photography.
It is for mine.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on January 27, 2023, 03:40:56 PM...

I wonder why you have not used events before. Thy should be perfect for your kind of photography.
It is for mine.

This is because I have been building my own events for many years, with stacks.
IMatch events didn't exist then.

And I have built it in such a way that I stack every shooting.
That means that last week I stacked a shooting with over 1000 pictures. The top stack picture (which I select) is then the representative of this event for me. And today I had to photograph cheese in the studio. That, too, gives a stack. And a private event also gives only one stack.

So I have around 15-50 events per month, all of which are stacked per event.
I have also been building up my personal timeline with Design&Print for a very long time.
And I can send all the events from, for example, one month or one year into this timeline and it looks very good (for me).

And I can choose whether I want to include only private pictures or also business pictures in the timeline. Often I only take private pictures mixed with historical pictures (like world war, Marylin Monroe or now the Ukraine war). This gives me an event and this mixes into my timeline.

And because everything runs dynamically with D&P, this has proven itself over the years, so I send a pdf to some people now and then and that's it.

That's why the IMatch events were never really important for me. 
But I want to see next time if that would be a good extension for me, because your events look very good.  :D
I'll have a better look at your help pages and then think about whether that makes sense for me.
It could be interesting. 
Markus

Mario

You can fairly easy convert regular stacks into an event.
Make the File Window show all stacked files. Select all top and then all files in the stack with <Ctrl>+<Cursor Right>.
<Ctrl>+<Alt>+<E> to create an event from the selected files.

Create a few events from your stack to see how it looks and feels for you.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on January 27, 2023, 06:26:37 PMYou can fairly easy convert regular stacks into an event.
Make the File Window show all stacked files. Select all top and then all files in the stack with <Ctrl>+<Cursor Right>.
<Ctrl>+<Alt>+<E> to create an event from the selected files.

Create a few events from your stack to see how it looks and feels for you.
Thanks, Mario  :)
I will do exactly like you described. 
Markus

Mario

Sorry, meant to write "select the top of a stack" and then all files in that stack. Then create the event.
Repeat for other stacks as needed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator