Batch processor behaviour

Started by sinus, October 18, 2022, 11:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

I guess it's the lot of programmers that you can't please everyone.  ;D
In one of your last versions, you changed the behaviour of the batch processor.
When you make changes, IMatch asks you if you want to save them.

You also wrote on 8 August
I have implemented this change for the next IMatch release.
The Batch Processor now asks you if you want to save your changes (if you made changes).
Else it will use the modified preset for the current run, but not store persist the changes.

I think that's really great.
Now I have a question: The new behaviour is a bit annoying because it ALWAYS asks if you want to save the changes, even if you haven't changed anything, for example, if I simply change the preset without touching something.

This is even also the case when I load an image into the batch processor and then do nothing but press ok (with the preset that is currently active), IMatch also asks me with the box whether I want to save the changes.

Is this intentional, because this is difficult to solve, or is this simply a small glitch?
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

I drag a few images to the BP, make no change and press OK.
The images are exported but I'm not asked if I want to change changes.

I drop another set of images, click through the options without changing anything (e.g. format and folder) and click OK.
Images are exported, no question asked.

I drop another set of images, this time I change something on the output folder tab.
Press OK, IMatch asks if I want to save the changes.

Maybe this is something that is caused by your preset? Some lingering setting that is somehow automatically corrected when the preset is loaded and thus causing the "Do you want to change" prompt?
But them, saving the preset once should fix the problem I suppose...?

Does this also happen when you create a new preset, make some settings, run / save it once and then use it again?

To determine if a preset has been changed, the BP compares the preset as loaded with the current preset, option for option. If a difference is found, the preset must be saved and the user is prompted.

Maybe one or more of the options you use in your presets is not handled properly? In that case wee need to identify it. The best way would be to start with a fresh preset, then changing the things you usually use, one at a time.

Run with one file.
Drop another file on the BP and run it.
Does the prompt show?

In that case, the last option you have changed is what's causing the issue. This would allow me to check this. There are about 150 options in the BP and it would help if we could figure out the one option that's causing this problem for your installation.

If the prompt does snot show, set another of your typical settings and repeat.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Thanks Mario

Hmm, then it has to do with old presets.
With a new preset this behaviour is not here, it is correct.

But I did, what you said, created a new preset and changed, step by step my entries, what I usually change, all stays, like it should.

I then did the contrary, take an old preset and tried to change all to the standard settings (from a new preset).
But also here, I could not get it, what was wrong, in this case the message came always. 

But it is, like you said, there are a LOT of entries (overlays, related to image, related to canvas ......) hence it is not easy.
I tried now one hour, I would say, we let it be at the moment, and when I have more time, I will try to goes this on the ground. 
At least it is only a slight annoyance, nothing, what could harm.  :)
Markus

Mario

You can export the preset causing this and attach it as a ZIP file.
Open the BP and click on "Manage" on the first tab.
In the dialog, select the preset with the problem and click on export to save it to a file.
ZIP the resulting file and attach it.
I can then import your preset and see what the problem is, hopefully.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on October 18, 2022, 02:02:58 PMYou can export the preset causing this and attach it as a ZIP file.

Thanks, Mario, I did so and attach a preset.
What I have spotted:
When you are on a preset and in there in the panel "Format and Size", choose Dimensions. Then there is nearby on the right a check-box.
If you click on this checkbox, sometimes there is written "Allow grow" and sometimes "Best Fit". It seems, as there are 2 checkboxes exactly on the same place.

But if this behaviour has something to do with my problem, I do not know.

And, Mario, spend not too much time on this, finally it is nothing harmful, only a bit akward.
Markus

Mario

Quote from: sinus on October 18, 2022, 05:06:39 PMIf you click on this checkbox, sometimes there is written "Allow grow" and sometimes "Best Fit". It seems, as there are 2 checkboxes exactly on the same place.
This is normal and which option is shown/enabled depends on the dimension type you choose. Fill modes use Best fit, Percentage has no extra options, * Edge has allow grow etc. Perfectly normal. The meaning of these options is explained in the help.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Found the problem (the reason why you always got the "Save changes?" prompt).
There was a typo in the comparison of the origin of text overlays (compared X with Y instead X with X).

I'll move this into bug reports to produce a ticked and mark it as fixed for next release.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Markus