Lookup GPS. Bug or by design?

Started by Mees Dekker, July 22, 2022, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mees Dekker

I have a number (i.e. 4) of pictures with identical GPS data. Through reverse geocoding I can find  the address for all selected files in one go (Lookup all). It than returns all data for the selected files and of course all data are identical. So far, so good.

But before I hit "OK", I change the data in the location field. This is often the case when the actual address (i.e. "Rue de Fort 12") does not give relevant information. I change this to "Fort Vauban". Then I hit "OK". I made sure that "Apply changes to selected files within ...." is activated.
However: only the data for the focused file are changed (to "Fort Vauban"), the other selected files keep the old location (in this example : Rue de Fort 12").

The Help states  that

• The option Apply changes to files within... is a time saver feature. If you enable it, IMatch applies changes you make in this dialog also to all selected files within the specified distance of the modified file.
  • Often when you open this dialog with multiple files selected, these files have GPS coordinates close to each other. This option allows you to change all files at once, without the need to lookup and correct each file individually.

Am I missing something here or is this a bug?

Mario

When you manually edit the contents returned by the GPS service, you change the data you see, for the file you select.
Changing data for one file does not modify the data returned by the GPS service for the other files. You need to modify them individually if so desired.
I don't recall all the details at the moment, not doing any work on the GPS reverse geocoding for several years.
But mixing retrieving location data for multiple files with manually changing data for one individual or multiple files and mixing that with the "Apply to all..." feature may not work the way you think it does. Best to keep things simple.

mastodon

I had problems with this feature, too, but I admit what Mario says. Keep it simple.

Mees Dekker

So this is by design. I can adjust the metadta through manul action.

But please: have a look at the text in the Help with an open mind (meaning: not what you intended/thought when writing it, but to what conclusion others/newbies come to after reading that text). It clearly suggests otherwise than the behaviour IMatch shows.

Mario

I'm updating the help all the time, when users use the official way to send in feedback for help pages - the feedback link at the bottom of each page. Please do so, so I know to which help page you refer.
If it does not, or no longer, reflect what the options do, I will update it.
If the options just don't work in the scenario you have created, I will add some additional info to cover this.
This help page was written years ago, and I don't recall much at the moment. So far it seems to have worked OK.

QuoteBut please: have a look at the text in the Help with an open mind (meaning: not what you intended/thought when writing it, but to what conclusion others/newbies come to after reading that text). It clearly suggests otherwise than the behaviour IMatch shows.

I can assure you that I'm always open-minded, but also never perfect in any way.
When I write the help, I do it as good as I can.
This does not mean that everything is correct or that I can envision (and document/comment on) every combination of options users may use and what outcome they may expect, based on the options they choose, the current state of IMatch, the GPS and location data already in their files etc.

I can definitely say that when you change a tag value for one file, this does not change the value for the other files in the selection in the reverse geo-coding dialog.
10 selected files may result in 10 different country/city/locations, and changing the location text for one file and then forcefully applying the same change to all other files in the selection could be potentially harmful.
If you manually override the results of the geocoding service, you must do it for each file, in the dialog.

Or, just close the dialog with OK to apply the location data as delivered. Then, while the files are still selected, enter the location text you want into the Metadata Panel to apply it to all selected files.

As I said, reverse geo-coding and related features are unchanged for a long time. I really don't recall all details, options and features anymore.
I will need to schedule time to get acquainted again and then I can tell you if it works as designed or not.