Link to Person Save list of names

Started by frankdarwin, March 21, 2022, 03:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankdarwin

It happens again and again that I need the same persons, which I have already assigned via Link to Person, again later.
For example, for recurring group events such as birthdays, family celebrations, etc.

It would be advantageous if these persons could be saved as a list from "Recently assigned persons" and loaded again later.

That would save a lot of time.

Mario

The Link dialog remembers a list of recently assigned persons and allows you to re-assign them with a keystroke or mouse click.
See Recently Assigned Persons

Why don't you use face recognition? That would avoid all the manual linking - except for faces which the IMatch AI really cannot detect.
Links should be the exception, not the rule.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankdarwin

"Why don't you use face recognition? That would avoid all the manual linking - except for faces which the IMatch AI really cannot detect.
Links should be the exception, not the rule."

Yes, links should be the exception. I can only agree with that.

An important reason for me to switch to IMatch was the ingenious face recognition! I haven't seen anything comparable before.

But there are many situations, at least for me, where I find face recognition more time-consuming than links.

I have a photo collection with thousands of group photos.

Depending on the number of people in a group photo and the shooting perspective, I have a hit rate of about 80% per photo. That is a very good value. Other programmes are much worse.

However, this means that I have to manually correct the wrongly recognised faces in many group photos.

Since I would like to minimise this manual work, I thought it would be quicker and easier with links if I could use saved lists of people.

"The Link dialog remembers a list of recently assigned persons and allows you to re-assign them with a keystroke or mouse click."

Yes. That is known and that is also what I apply.
Unfortunately, I always have to rebuild this list when I edit photos from a different subject area.
Example:
I edit group photos on the subject of football. There are 100 photos of a team, each with 20 players. These 20 players are included in the current list. For all photos, I assign the persons with a link.

Then I edit group photos of the family. I have to delete the list and create a new one with the family members.

One week later, there are new group photos on the theme of football.
Now I have to recreate the list of footballers because the last list contains the people from the family.

It would be easier and faster if I could load a saved list of soccer players.

In IMatch Help under "Quick Access" it says:
"Use Ctrl + 1 to Ctrl + 9 to directly link/unlink the first to ninth person from this list."

Advantageous would be the option "Select all".
That would be the crowning glory.

I imagine this feature will make it easier for other users, including future ones, to switch to IMatch.

Mario

You can copy link annotations between files.

Why not create some dummy images with a white background, add links to all the persons in a group to that image?
You can then load this dummy image, select all links with Ctrl+A (or only some links, as needed), Ctrl+C to copy them into the clipboard and then paste into other images using Ctrl+V.

Example:

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frankdarwin

Hello Mario,
this is a brilliant idea.
Too bad it's not mine.

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

;D 8) :)

Generally, I do use such "dummy-images" since a lot time, for different things.
For example, for gps-infos, what are always the same, without using then google, simple copy the gps-information.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Quote from: sinus on March 23, 2022, 08:12:33 AM
For example, for gps-infos, what are always the same, without using then google, simple copy the gps-information.

I would use Locations for this particular purpose.
They have the additional benefit that you can use them in Metadata Templates to automatically assign GPS coordinates, they show on the Map Panel etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Quote from: Mario on March 23, 2022, 08:58:38 AM
Quote from: sinus on March 23, 2022, 08:12:33 AM

I would use Locations for this particular purpose.
They have the additional benefit that you can use them in Metadata Templates to automatically assign GPS coordinates, they show on the Map Panel etc.

Thanks, Mario
Yes, I do this also, but I am not sure, if this affects not Google, because the amount of "google-work" is limited for free.

And e.g. for some of my locations, what are often used, I have created a metadata-template, what copies all info in the correct tags, I think, in the same tags, like locations would do it.
But for some locations, what I use not that often, I use locations, what is very cool.
Markus

Mario

Locations are an IMatch thing. They don't need external services.

You define the location and coordinates manually, plus keywords if needed.
For example, when you often take photos at your studio, or in the same locations/shops, you define these as IMatch locations. Then you can select all the files and apply the location to fill in coordinates and location data, assign keywords etc.

You can do the same with Metadata Templates, but you won't see them on the map, you cannot do location-based search or filtering etc.
It depends on your workflow if or not using locations would make sense. I use them often, because I shot in the same venues often.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Thanks a lot, Mario

I will check this!  :)
Markus