Assign files to EVENT by Shift-click of EVENT Favorite.

Started by ubacher, March 17, 2022, 07:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubacher

We can define a favorite to point to an event.
Currently that allows us only to switch to the event.

I propose that a secondary function of the favorite (Shift-click) allows us to assign the
currently selected image to the event. Obviously that can only function for events which
are based on selections.

Would it be worth to consider unifying the functioning of favorites?

Click -> Assign   (For Folders:copy)
Shift-Click -> Unassign (For Folders:move)
Alt(?)-Click -> Goto (Currently we have to Right Click and select G)

Jingo

I would suggest going the Automation route for this... should be very easy to create an automation favorite if Mario could add new sub-actions for the "Go to Event View" action called: "Load Event: " (and allow user to select an event from the list).  Then, you would select the images you want to add to the event and Ctrl-C and a simple automation favorite could be built:
  - Go to Event View -> Load Event: "Birthday Party"
  - Keyboard Shortcut -> Ctrl-V

So, if Mario would could add this sub-event, this would easily be doable.

Carlo Didier

+1

As for Jingo's suggestion:
Quote from: Jingo on March 17, 2022, 10:01:16 PM
I would suggest going the Automation route for this... should be very easy to create an automation favorite if Mario could add new sub-actions for the "Go to Event View" action called: "Load Event: " (and allow user to select an event from the list).  Then, you would select the images you want to add to the event and Ctrl-C and a simple automation favorite could be built:
  - Go to Event View -> Load Event: "Birthday Party"
  - Keyboard Shortcut -> Ctrl-V
Not the same functionality because you would leave your current window and end up in the event window. ubachers idea is much better as it works like assigning a category for example. The category is assigned to the selected files, but you stay where you are to continue selecting other files and assigning categories. Same would be here, just to assign events instead of categories.

Jingo

Yeah... but you could then then just have Mario add another (!) event.... "Return to last View"... so, that way you would return from the last window you were on.

To me - adding flexibility and new actions to the automation tool is a nice way to extend functionality more "globally"... in this manner, these functions can be used for things beyond just assigning items to events.

ubacher

There could be another easy way:
Right-click image ->EVENTS-> Add to <currently selected event>

Of course the event would only show if it is a selection based event.

ubacher

Yet another possibility:
Ctrl-C the event, then Ctrl-V the file to add it to the event.

Mario

Quote from: ubacher on March 22, 2022, 05:20:54 PM
Yet another possibility:
Ctrl-C the event, then Ctrl-V the file to add it to the event.

It works the other way. Select the Files, Ctrl+C, switch to Event, Ctrl+V
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

I have decided to extend and standardize Favorites a bit for the new types.

1. Alt + left-click now triggers the "Goto" command, where available (folders, categories, collections, events, people).

2. Event Favorites now have a primary action (add to Event) and secondary action (remove from Event). This only works if the Favorite was created for a file-based event.

3. People Favorites now have a primary action (link to Person) and secondary action (un-link from Person).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook