Video metadata orientation

Started by ben, January 28, 2022, 07:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Hello,

does anyone know how the "orientation" of a video is stored in the metadata?
From previous comments in this forum i assume this is not straight forward.
I need the information outside of iMatch, and i am using exiftool as iMatch does.

Thanks a lot
Ben

ben

I am wondering if the "rotation" information is available as EXIF, IPTC or XMP information, at all.

I looked at some videos with different rotations with the exiftool command from iMatch. It doesn't list rotation.
Then i used ffprobe which is part from the ffmpeg toolset. It provides "rotation" information for my few video samples.

Is there different kind of metadata for videos that exiftool cannot show?

Mario

Quote from: ben on January 29, 2022, 09:14:07 AM
Is there different kind of metadata for videos that exiftool cannot show?
I'm sure.

Video files have no EXIF or IPTC. Maybe XMP, sometimes. Embedded or in a sidecar.
FFPMEG is as specialized video processing software which decodes video streams and whatnot. Rotation would be something that is stream-specific and not something that goes into some sort of global metadata.

Perhaps video rotation is not of interest for many or Phil does not have the info how to detect it? Did you ask in the ExifTool board?

Did you ask the device manufacturer for advice? You are a paying customer and their support should be willing and able to give you information about this.

Most video file formats are basically containers, containing multiple streams of information. Multiple video streams, audio streams, title streams, HDR data and whatnot.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

>Did you ask in the ExifTool board?
Yes i did now and also got an answer:

exiftool -rotation FILE

This should work for MOV and MP4 videos.

>Did you ask the device manufacturer for advice?
I know you are right, but i've given up with google.
I once had an issue with my pixel smartphone and it took ages to get an answer in their forum.

Ben