Note when deleting master files

Started by frankdarwin, January 09, 2022, 11:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankdarwin

Hello,
as a "beginner" with IMatch it happened to me that I deleted master files (.NEF) because I didn't need them anymore and I wondered afterwards that besides the file I wanted to delete, also other files (.JPG) were deleted that I actually wanted to keep.

At that time I had not yet dealt with the concept of file relationships.

So that other "beginners" do not commit the same mistake I have the following improvement suggestion:

Is it perhaps possible when trying to delete a Maste file (e.g. .NEF) to draw attention to the fact that other files are deleted in addition to the file to be deleted?

Mario

There are no default buddy file relations, unless you create them.
Pressing <Del> just marks a file for deletion.
If you force delete a file, you get two warnings you need to confirm.
I don't know how often it happens that a user creates a buddy file relation between NEF and JPEG and then confirms all "Do you really want to delete" prompts and then wonders why the JPEG also has been deleted. Or renamed. Or moved. Or copied. Which is the sole purpose of setting up buddy relations!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

It sounds to me like he had what he thought were his master/version relations, actually configured to be a master/buddy files relation, which would explain why the JPGs were deleted too.

thrinn

Personally, I do not want to get additional "Do you really want that?" messages for buddy files. For me, buddy files are not meant to exist without a corresponding main file. I want to avoid the term master here because master/version relationships are not the same as master/buddy relationships. And, as Markus already points out, I suspect that the OP does somehow mix up versions and buddies.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

sinus

Like Thorsten, I do also do not want such a message, would be annoying.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus