Author Topic: Duplicate folder entries when adding a new folder and read-only start-up issue  (Read 411 times)

DaveO

• New Members
This may be a similar issue to this one: https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=12032.0

When adding a new folder to the database it gets added twice.  This happens if I add the folder via the add folder dialog or if I drag and drop the folder from windows explorer.

One of the duplicate folders will have sub folders and images and one only the first level of subfolders and no images.  The latter folder goes away if I restart iMatch.

This happens every time I add a new folder.

The start up issue is that when starting the program I get a dialogue box appearing saying the database has been opened read only. 

A few seconds later iMatch restarts without my intervention and the database is opened normally and I can modify the contents.  The log file in the zip file with the -2 suffix was created after I put debug logging on to try and trap this issue.

Regards,

Dave Oddie

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
None of the log files contains information about IMatch opening a database in read-only mode.
This is always logged, and also if the database has been opened in r/o mode because of the file being marked as read-only in the file system or the because of the user not having write privileges to the database folder.
IMatch also logs if the database has been opened read-only by request, because the corresponding option is enabled in the Database menu.

Carlo Didier

• Super Hero
I just had the same issue of newly (automatically detected) folders being displayed twice.
See attached screenshots and debug log from the session.
After closing and re-opening iMatch, the folders are correctly displayed.

There are around 200 new image files (half JPG and half RAF plus a few TIFFs) and drive D: is a local SSD. No idea why iMatch took so much time to scan ...

The folder "D:\Photography\Photos Carlo" is excluded in Windows Defender. I also attached a screenshot of a copy from D: to C: to show the disk speed.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
As  I said above, this has been reported, analyzed and fixed for the next release already.
Tip: Pressing <F5> while in the Media & Folders View does the same as restarting. It reloads the tree and removes the ghost folders.

See https://www.photools.com/release-notes/ and search for ghost.

Carlo Didier

• Super Hero
Any idea about the slowness?

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Any idea about the slowness?

In the past wee I had 4 "slow / does no longer work" support cases. Every support case was caused by the virus checker running on the users's computer, blocking or badly interfering with IMatch. This is the first thing I would look into. Malwarevbytes, Norton and Avast. Windows Defender apparently never causes problems.

In your log file, I see several warnings about system high memory utilization, several messages about the DNG WIC codec failing to load your DNG files (seems you are using a uncommon variant not supported by Windows), unrecognized image formats, etc. Every time IMatch falls back to last resort LibRaw, after trying to pull the embedded preview via WIC (failed), pulling the full RAW via WIC (also failed). Of course this slows down things a lot. What strange DNG format are you using that is so non-standard that the DNG WIC codec fails to handle it? Almost every file processed is affected.
If you are using the standard WIC codec, please contact Microsoft support and ask them for advice.

Carlo Didier

• Super Hero
There were no DNG files in the newly imported folders, so no idea why iMatch would scan DNG files somewhere else.
In older folders, there may be DNG files created by Adobe Bridge as stitched panos. But those folders/files haven't changed in months, so no sense rescanning them. And yes, I triple checked, they did NOT change in any way. But that's an old issues that iMatch re-scans unchanged files and folders (checked and checked again, definitely NOT changed).

For the DNGs, maybe the panoramic format created by Adobe Bridge causes issues, but I usually don't keep those, but rather create Tiffs from them.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
To finds the folders and file names processed, search the log file you have attached for W>
There are also many warnings about a high system memory utilization (90%, while IMatch was using less than 500 MB). If you use Adobe products, make sure they don't suck up all memory.

akirot

@Carlo (off topic) just curious because of your screen shot:
How do you add further applications (BR,PS,C1 on your system) to the file window tool bar (right to the "open file..." icon) ?
(I couldn't find any hint in the help.)

ubacher

• Oldtimer
How do you add further applications (BR,PS,C1 on your system) to the file window tool bar (right to the "open file..." icon) ?

I seemed to remember that this was possible - and looked for it in help some time back - when I could not find it
I blamed it on confused memory.

sinus

• Global Moderator
  • IMatch-User since 2001 (IMatch 3.6)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Carlo Didier

• Super Hero
@Carlo (off topic) just curious because of your screen shot:
I created small apps which are pinned to the tool bar. You need to add the necessary info under "linkPoints" in the app.json file for the app. See attached example for Photoshop.
Can't remember where I found this, but I think it is somewhere in the apps section of the iMatch help.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator

akirot

Thank you all for the info - glad I didn't miss a "basic" feature for this intuitive approach ;-)

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
IMatch always offers the associated application for the selected/focused file as a button, and more option in the drop-down.
The typical way to quickly open selected files in multiple applications is via Favorites - one-click or keyboard shortcut.

Wiring individual apps to add more buttons to the toolbar is another way. A bit much, though, for most users.

Maybe I should use the existing "link app to toolbar buttons or menus" also for Favorites...

akirot

@Mario: Yes, I know this button at the tool bar and use it often - also the "open file with..." at the associated drop down since I use various tools depending on the state of the images in my workflow.
Favorites I use for "real" (self implemented) apps.

Maybe I should use the existing "link app to toolbar buttons or menus" also for Favorites...

If it were that easy (to implement) I really would appreciate it.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Like zo?

ubacher

• Oldtimer
Just tried it.
Code: [Select]
"defaultDocument": "index.html",
  "icon": {
    "": "app.png"
  },
  "linkPoints": {
    "toolbarFileWindow": {
      "name": {
        "": "this should be unused"
      }}
Problem: it shows the text (the one give under "name") instead of the icon.
What am I doing wrong?

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Does the icon exist in the app folder?

akirot

@Mario: Yes, exactly  - this looks really great - I'ld love it  :)

ubacher

• Oldtimer
Yes, the icon shows in the app manager and also in the favorite for this app.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Works without problems here.
I've added the File Verifier app (included in IMatch) to the File Window toolbar, by changing the app.json as follows:

and this gives

thrinn

• Super Hero
Works for me also. One caveat: There seems to be a kind of caching: If I change the app.json while IMatch is running, the properties of the icon in the toolbar are not always updated. For example, I changed the "name" parameter. The view that was active at the time (Categories view, in this case) was updated. But when I switched to the Media & Folders view, the hover text was still the old one. A simple restart of IMatch solved this.

Code: [Select]
{
  "type": "app",
  "id": "TRI_PIC_V7",
  "version": "1.1",
  "author": [
    "Thorsten Rinn"
  ],
    "": "TRI_PIC_V7"
  },
  "description": {
    "": "Diverse Hilfsroutinen für Fotos und Scans"
  },
  "defaultDocument": "index.html",
  "icon": {
    "": "PIC.png"
  },
  "runAs": "",
  "windowSizing": {
    "sizing": "both",
    "width": 600,
    "height": 400
  },
  "linkPoints": {
    "toolbarFileWindow": {
        "": "My help text"
      }
    }
  }
}
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Restart is always required. I did not spent time to make all this live updatable, for the maybe handful of users who will ever use this.

The new "Add Favorites to File Window toolbar" feature (see #01640 at https://www.photools.com/release-notes/) applies changes immediately, though. Much wider audience, I hope.

ubacher

• Oldtimer
I found the cause of the icons not displaying:

Somehow my icon files were 126x128 pixels.
I changed them to 128x128 and now they display!

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Should make no difference. There is nothing blocking icons based on size.

akirot

Mario, thank you for making it a feature!

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Mario, thank you for making it a feature!

You're welcome. It took two hours to figure out how to do it, implement it, create resources and stuff. And then it took another four hours to figure out how to trick the user interface toolkit to redraw the File Window toolbar to show updated buttons after the user has changed Favorites. Sigh. That's why I have implemented major new features like the Event View, People View and the Dashboard as apps - much faster workflow, much less fighting with 3rd party components.