better GPS coordinate validation/conversion

Started by chupacabra, December 16, 2021, 02:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chupacabra

I messed up the GPS coordinates in an image by accidentally dragging the GPS marker in the map panel. I used a different tool (exif pilot) to read the GPS coordinates from a backup file and copied and pasted the coordinates from exif pilot into the imatch GPS coordinates. Every application like this uses one of several different formats for GPS coordinates and accepts GPS coordinates only in the format(s) it recognizes. imatch uses a different GPS coordinate format than the coordinates I copied from exit pilot.

imatch accepted the new coordinates but when I brought it up on in the map panel, it showed me located in the ocean somewhere. If imatch doesn't recognize the GPS coordinates then it can flag that GPS field as in error and force the user to update it or clear it.

It would be helpful if imatch would accept all/most/many of the standard GPS formats used by tools like exif pilot, Capture One, Lightroom, etc. and then convert them into the format imatch uses to store them. From what I can tell from these tools so far, it looks like there are only a few standard formats for coordinates.

Mario

Usually GPS coordinates are added

- by your camera or smart phone
- by importing a track log
- by you setting the coordinates in the Map panel (Tip: When you accidentally move the maker and change the coordinates, go to Edit menu > Undo to undo you change).

The need to actually manually entering GPS coordinates is rare.
And when you do, IMatch expects the standard decimal coordinate format for latitude and longitude, like 13.228956 or -59.540546.
This is a standardized and precise format and used across IMatch features, including locations and reverse geocoding.

In the Metadata Panel, you can decide if you want to use the raw format (the decimal coordinate format) or the degree / minute / second format:

and you then also have to input the coordinates in that format.

IMatch should never have to figure out which coordinate format you have used. This could lead to problems.
And I have no idea about if there are other coordinate formats out there or what your other software used.
If your coordinates were off, the N/W was missing or a minus sign was misplaced.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook