Propogate capture date to versions

Started by Stefanjan, September 19, 2021, 09:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefanjan

I sort files in the file window by capture date.

I can't work out which fields I should propogate in file relation rules to just copy capture date so all jpeg versions are sorted with the masters

ubacher

Interesting: I have the same need. I tried propagating all XMP but this did not work as expected.

Mario

What do you mean by capture date? Create date or date subject created?
Both are part of the XMP and when you let IMatch propagate XMP, they will be propagated during write-back.
Keep in mind that there are also linked timestamps in EXIF and even legacy IPTC, so if something does not work, this needs to be checked as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Stefanjan

Quote from: Mario on September 19, 2021, 11:01:17 AM
What do you mean by capture date? Create date or date subject created?
Both are part of the XMP and when you let IMatch propagate XMP, they will be propagated during write-back.
Keep in mind that there are also linked timestamps in EXIF and even legacy IPTC, so if something does not work, this needs to be checked as well.
Thanks Mario, I mean the date the photo was taken. Which I believe is "Capture Time" in the File Windows Sort and "Date Subject Created" in IMatch core data. Confusing that it's called different things in different places.

Anyhow, I have changed "What to propogate":
XMP disabled crop
Don't copy XMP Orientation
Don't copy XMP regions

Seems to solve problem

Mario

QuoteWhich I believe is "Capture Time" in the File Windows Sort and "Date Subject Created" in IMatch core data. Confusing that it's called different things in different places.

Capture Time is just the title of the sort profile, it is not necessarily related to the attributes or metadata tags used in that sort profile. A sort profile can sort by many attributes, in case of the default Capture Time sort profile it sorts by date subject created and file name. If you don't like the name of the sort profile, just rename it.

QuoteSeems to solve problem

Yes. What I said above. The dates are part of XMP and when you propagate XMP, the dates are updated during write-back.
In cases where this fails, there is usually a problem with other metadata in the target file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook