Multiple file rename crashes iMatch

Started by KchoPrro, September 03, 2023, 09:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KchoPrro

Hello Friends :) , it has been many years since I participated in the forum.

I have a problem with renaming multiple files, when I select two or more files, iMach crashes (it doesn't even allow me to close it). It doesn't work, I can only use it again by entering the Windows task manager and ending iMatch. :'(

I haven't archived photos in two months (summer period), before it worked without problems, but when I downloaded the new photos yesterday it stopped working. Has it happened to someone else? ::)

I have looked at the logs and have found no errors. I have carried out a diagnosis of the database and there are no errors either. Yesterday I downloaded 50GB (2.200 photos), but I don't think the problem is due to the number of photos downloaded.

Thank you so much for help me!! 8)

Mario

If IMatch crashes, it produces a Debug Dump File, unless the error happens outside of IMatch.
From your description, it sounds more as if IMatch becomes unresponsive. This means we need at least the log file to see what happens.

1. Switch IMatch to debug logging (See log file)
2. Repeat the operation that causes this
3. Wait for a minute or two to see if the operation completes

After terminating IMatch, secure the log file BEFORE restarting IMatch. ZIP and attach here.

4. Make a screen shot of the Renamer preset you use.
5. Name the brand of the virus checker you use.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

KchoPrro

Thanks for the response, Mario ;)

I have detected that IMatch is still working, although it does not allow me to do anything nor does it open the dialog for mass renaming. For example, if I am modifying an image with Canon DPP and I save the changes, IMatch updates the image. If I open IMatch again (without closing the application), IMatch responds that the application is already working.

I have followed the steps you indicated, I respond to you;

1, 2 and 3: I attach LOG files (once IMatch crashes)
4: I cannot take a screenshot of the mass renaming, it does not show that dialog box (it fails just when accepting, I attach a screenshot). I don't know, from memory, which renaming preset I use, basically the result is (example): _VP09961.CR2 to AVP049961

5: The only antivirus I use is Windows Defender, from the operating system itself (Windows 10 x64)

Do you want me to do any other checks? I also attach a screenshot of the task manager, where IMatch is not using any CPU or HD resources, only RAM.

Mario

QuoteIMatch updates the image. If I open IMatch again (without closing the application), IMatch responds that the application is already working.
You cannot open IMatch multiple times. Only one instance can run at a time.

Both log files show a normal IMatch start. No rename is performed.

Do you use multiple monitors?
Maybe the Renamer dialog has been moved to another monitor and the monitor is not connected anymore?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

KchoPrro

Quote from: Mario on September 03, 2023, 08:58:24 PM
QuoteIMatch updates the image. If I open IMatch again (without closing the application), IMatch responds that the application is already working.
You cannot open IMatch multiple times. Only one instance can run at a time.
Both log files show a normal IMatch start. No rename is performed.
Do you use multiple monitors?
Maybe the Renamer dialog has been moved to another monitor and the monitor is not connected anymore?

I know, Mario, I just wanted to try to see what would happen if I opened IMatch again.

I have used 2 monitors, but I don't use them anymore, but that could be the problem, maybe I haven't used IMatch again since I gave one of my two monitors to my wife, maybe IMatch can still generate the Rename dialog on the extended screen. My wife returned the other monitor to me, but she had it unconnected. I'll plug it in tomorrow, see if you're right about that.

Thanks again, Mario, tomorrow I will test two monitors and comment on the result ;)

Mario

QuoteI have used 2 monitors, but I don't use them anymore, but that could be the problem, maybe I haven't used IMatch again since I gave one of my two monitors to my wife, maybe IMatch can still generate the Rename dialog on the extended screen.
IMatch displays a warning when the number of connected monitors has changed from the last IMatch session.
This is to remind users that they might have moved panels to another monitor that is now no longer connected.

IMatch does not forcefully move all panels back to the main monitor.
You can do that easily enough by loading a saved workspace (Loading and Saving Workspaces) or, if no workspace for "single monitor operation" exists, by

a) Saving your current workspace under a new name
b) closing IMatch
c) holding down<Ctrl> while starting IMatch until you see Advanced Startup Options (Recovery) and then choose the "Reset Workspace" setting. This resets the default workspace to factory defaults, bringing all panels back to the main monitor.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

KchoPrro

Quote from: Mario on September 04, 2023, 08:28:20 AM
QuoteI have used 2 monitors, but I don't use them anymore, but that could be the problem, maybe I haven't used IMatch again since I gave one of my two monitors to my wife, maybe IMatch can still generate the Rename dialog on the extended screen.
IMatch displays a warning when the number of connected monitors has changed from the last IMatch session.
This is to remind users that they might have moved panels to another monitor that is now no longer connected.
IMatch does not forcefully move all panels back to the main monitor.
You can do that easily enough by loading a saved workspace (Loading and Saving Workspaces) or, if no workspace for "single monitor operation" exists, by
a) Saving your current workspace under a new name
b) closing IMatch
c) holding down<Ctrl> while starting IMatch until you see Advanced Startup Options (Recovery) and then choose the "Reset Workspace" setting. This resets the default workspace to factory defaults, bringing all panels back to the main monitor.

Yeaaaaah!! :D :D . that was the problem. In the end, I was not able to test with two monitors. With your instructions, it occurred to me that IMacth would have opened the dialog box on the other (non-existent) screen. I tried pressing the "enter" key on the keyboard and it started renaming with the default preset (the last one used). I realized that IMatch was working correctly, I just couldn't see the dialog and could no longer use the mouse anywhere in IMatch except to accept or cancel the rename.

2023-09-04 18_38_21-Window.jpg

Finally, I went to the Windows multi-screen settings (Windows + P) and tried different combinations until I could leave it on just one screen. When I refreshed the screen, IMacth already showed the dialog box and I was able to work normally (attached screenshot).

2023-09-04 18_40_00-Window.jpg

Thank you very much for the help, I was lost without it. ;)

Mario

If you switch between one monitor and two monitor setups, I recommend you create one workspace for each setup.
One workspace where all panels etc. are on the main monitor, and one workspace where you distribute panels or the Viewer to multiple monitors.

This allows you to switch between both layouts easily, without having to hunt down panels placed on an invisible or no longer connected monitor.

IMatch will warn you any time when the number of connected monitors is different than for the last run. Then you only have to load the appropriate workspace.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator