Can I update folder properties via an App ?

Started by Jean-Maetso, February 15, 2021, 09:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jean-Maetso

Hi everybody,
I would like to update some properties of a folder via an App. For instance the following algorithm:
IF some_specific_condition THEN
      folder.description = folder.name+' (checked)'
ELSE
      folder.description = folder.name

I may want to use the 'friendlyName' property of the folder as well.

However, I did not see any POST(v1/folders...) method.
So is it possible to set some properties for a folder object?

Thanks
JM

Mario

Sorry, the friendly name or color-coding or thumbnails of folders cannot be modified by external apps at this time.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jean-Maetso

Aarghhh... that's what I feared  :(
Even more frustrated that I see this as a drawback from the older times of IMatch scripting where this was feasible (I did it in the past). But, yes, this was long ago, maybe IMatch 5 or even before (?)...Hope such feature will come back in the future. Folder description and folder friendly names can be very useful when you are dealing with frequent evolutions in your DB and you do not want to change folder structure/names. Putting information in description or friendly names is a nice feature that I use quite often.

Thanks Mario !

Mario

Feel free to add a feature request in the appropriate board. This ensures that your request remains visible and on my list. And it allows other users to +1 it.
Changing the folder description or friendly name has never been requested AFAIK - and this feature was removed when I swapped Basic Scripting to IMWS-based app development many years ago...
Adding an endpoint which does this is a couple of hours of work, tops.

The current state of the IMWS API has been stable for quite a while. I enhance it when I need something for a new feature.
Frankly, there are a lot less users who create their own apps these days. IMatch can do a lot more than IMatch 3 could. And newer user generations are (apparently) not that used to developing scripts or small apps.

Judging by the number of development-related questions in this community and the page views of the IMatch Developer Center and documentation, any kind of investment (aka my time) in API enhancements, documentation etc. must be very carefully judged. It just makes not much sense to spend time on this when only a handful or so users will ever have a use for it. Better to spend time on things half of the user base benefits from.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook