Author Topic: File Notes app spellchecking  (Read 102 times)

twe

File Notes app spellchecking
« on: February 17, 2021, 07:46:27 AM »
I use the File Notes app for writing descriptions, and I write in Norwegian. I have disabled "Spell as you type" in preferences, but it does not apply for the File Notes app, I always get red squiggles underlining almost all words I type. I have the Norwegian dictionary files in place, but it does not work in File Notes app, (only if i write in English). I would prefer to not have spellcheck enabled in this app, but I find no way to disable the the red squiggles.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: File Notes app spellchecking
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 09:29:58 AM »
The File Notes app is an IMatch app running in Chromium inside the app panel.
This is unrelated to IMatch's own spell-checking engine used i.e. in the Metadata Panel or Attributes panel, which is based on hunspall (also the default spell checker in Chromium so far).

I did not even know that Chromium somehow added or enabled (?) spell checking. Strange.
I see there is a right-click menu for correcting typos, but as far as I can see no way to select a language.
IMatch sets the language configured for the IMatch UI as the default language for Chromium and all apps.

This seems to be something Microsoft has added to the Chromium project, according to https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/05/28/improved-spellcheck-microsoft-edge-83/
Maybe this somehow also affects the Chromium browser used by IMatch. I can only spell check in English, although I have enabled both English and German in Edge.
So far i could not find anything in the Chromium developer documentation on how to turn this on or off or how to allow the user to select a language.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 09:38:09 AM by Mario »

twe

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 09:47:27 AM »
I guess it is the same issue for Imatch Notepad. No way to disable spellchecking and it is  English only.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 11:15:33 AM »
The language IMatch tells Chromium to use is the same language set for the IMatch user interface.
Do you use "EN" for the IMatch user interface?

I consider using the App Locale (Edit > Preferences > Settings) also as the Chromium language for menus / spell checking in IMatch 2021.
The app locale then would be used not only for formatting date/time and numbers, but also for the spell checker. That should work.?!

twe

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 02:30:10 PM »
Yes, Imatch interface is in English,and I also prefer to have Windows Interface in English.  But I write all photo descriptions and Imatch Notes in Norwegian.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 03:26:09 PM »
Do you set the Edit > Preferences > AppLocale to Norwegian to get your local date and time format?