Author Topic: File Window (Short Date) unintentionally changes its value  (Read 401 times)

sverre4

• New Members
File Window (Short Date) unintentionally changes its value
« on: January 30, 2021, 05:18:48 PM »
File Window (Short Date)  unintentionally changes its value by specific order of steps in workflow.

The following is a description of the workflow that is causing the problem:

*1) A change is made in the date.time value in M_panel (Date Subject Created) of at least 2 files AFTER import or AFTER the last write-back.
*2) The same 2 files are marked and a change is made to, for example, the status of a Label in the two files.
*3) When canceling the selection from point *2), all the files in the selection get the same value in File Window (Short Date) as the last selected file. This, of course, creates chaos on the timeline.
Note that the values in M_panel (Date Subject Created) do not change and there are therefore deviations from the values in File Window (Short Date).

If a write-back is performed between point *1) and *2), the error in point *3) does not occur.
Writing back after point *3) corrects errors in the values in the File Window (Short Date).
But if you do not want or forget to perform write-back, it can lead to a lot of completely useless use of time.

This means that those who never or almost never change the value in M_panel (Date Subject Created) after import will not experience this problem. Nor will those who always perform a write-back right after they have changed the value in this specific tag.

I have - as a test - reset my PC system to the same condition as when it was new with only a few applications and then installed iMatch, and the problem is exactly the same.

My PC system is not special in any way it is completely standard HW with Win 10 Pro (OS) and I do not use iMatch in any special way - maybe except that I do not use the write-back function.
I have attached a file with info about my PC system in case it may be relevant.

Sverre4
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 05:24:20 PM by sverre4 »

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: File Window (Short Date) unintentionally changes its value
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 05:40:37 PM »
Didn't you already post a thread with a similar topic, where I spend time to reproduce this but could not?

I (and I'm sure many other users) set or change the two standard time-stamps in the Metadata Panel to place files properly on the timeline. When the file has no usable metadata or the metadata is wrong.
When you have multiple files selected and you change metadata in the Metadata Panel, these changes are applied to all selected files.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Is this what happens on your computer?
The focused file (last selected file) servers as the anchor/original file when you change metadata while multiple files are selected.
See Working With Multiple Files in the Metadata Panel help for more information.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 05:52:02 PM by Mario »

sverre4

• New Members
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 08:18:06 PM »
(That's right, I had another thread with a similar topic and there I posted info that I would start a new thread with a changed topic since the previous one turned out to be misleading. Sorry if I did something wrong).

So to my problem again:
- Instead of explaining, I have made a screen capture that shows exactly what is happening, it can be found here:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!At4lbu-EJmiCim7vVOAkblbowh_m?e=otC29z

In this I have used TimeWiz to change M_panel (Date Subject Created). However, the erroneous change in File Window (Short Date) also occurs when the value is changed using the Metadata Template, or if I change the value using the keyboard on a single file at a time.
In screen-capture I change a Label but the error also occurs when changing tags e.g. when entering text in Description on two or more files.
- I also see that if two or more files are selected and a change is made to these then I have to left-click twice on a random file to remove the selection, is that normal? I ask because if I select two or more files without using the selection for changes, the selection is removed by left-clicking once on a random file.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 02:57:36 PM »
I have looked into this issue, found the problem and fixed it for the next release.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

The File.DateTime is set from XMP and other tags (see How IMatch uses Date and Time Information).
This means that IMatch checks for updates every time metadata is changed, e.g. via the metadata panel or the TimWiz.

The problem in this specific situation you describe was that a) the date and time tags where marked as modified (by your previous use of the TimeWiz or the MD Panel), b) multiple files in that state where selected, c) you changed other metadata values in the MD panel, d) the previously updated date tags where, although unmodified by your last edit in the MD panel, checked again for modifications, not considering their multi-selection/not modified status.
This is what causes the change in the tag values, and also explains why the write-back solved that (the write-back did it right).
This was, in part, caused by these specific circumstances and some performance optimization which checked if only rating/label was changed (to avoid updating all tags in the database, which is a big performance improvement when a user selects 1000 files and just changes a rating or label).

I have now reworked the processing and it now works as it should.

PS.: That you have to click twice to un-select a multi-file selection in the File Window after setting the focus to another window  (e.g. clicking on the "save" button in the Metadata Panel) is not a bug but a feature.
It prevents you from accidentally losing the selection by bringing the focus back into the File Window by clicking an already selected image.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 02:59:50 PM by Mario »

sverre4

• New Members
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 07:34:20 PM »
Ok, I'm looking forward to the next release.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 08:05:22 PM »
Already out  ;D

sverre4

• New Members
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 09:21:18 PM »
Works without problems here now. Thanks!!