Open files in lightroom

Started by Joakimst, January 26, 2021, 02:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joakimst

Hi!
I have recently gone back to using Lightroom as my main raw processer. (It used to be photolab before)

But what I can't really figure out is if it is possible to open files from imatch in lightroom? If I use photolab I could just either press the "open file with"-button or select some files and drag them to photolab and a "selection folder" was automatically created in photolab.

If I try to do either way with lightroom only the import dialogue opens (the files are already imported in the lightroom catalog).

Is there a way to use imatch together with lightroom more smoothly or is the only way to manually look up the files in the lightroom library? I couldn't find any information in this otherwise great article: https://www.photools.com/3172/adobe-lightroom-imatch-5/

Thanks.

Mario

This is how Adobe has implemented drag and drop support in Lightroom.

You can drag files from IMatch (or Windows Explorer...) to the Development module. Lr then opens the folder containing the file for import.
Lr cannot open arbitrary files from your disk, it does it all via it's catalog. Lr is not very cooperative towards other (non-Adobe) software.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Joakimst

Thanks for the swift reply. Too bad for us then that Adobe does it like that.

Carlo Didier

Actually, this limitation comes from the fact that Lightroom only works with files when they are in its catalog, hence the need to import.
You can open a specific file with Bridge (same raw engine after all)

Aubrey

Quote from: Joakimst on January 26, 2021, 02:09:54 PM
I have recently gone back to using Lightroom as my main raw processer. (It used to be photolab before)

May I ask why?
I really like control points in Photolab and the use of color wheel (though I think LR has this now).

Joakimst

Quote from: Aubrey on January 31, 2021, 09:33:56 PM
May I ask why?
I really like control points in Photolab and the use of color wheel (though I think LR has this now).
A couple of reasons. The two main reasons are firstly that it wasn't possible to use a pen tablet with pressure sensitivity which is a very nice way to edit photos. Secondly it's not possible in pl to save brush settings, at least not in the same way as in LR so the editing process was much slower for me.

I still use pl sometimes but hasn't upgraded to pl4 and lr is the one I mainly use nowadays.