Author Topic: Frequent crashes  (Read 247 times)

aep

• New Members
Frequent crashes
« on: January 10, 2021, 09:29:33 PM »
I have been experiencing frequent crashes lately ("Imatch encountered an error and must close"). I have updated to the most recent release, although I have gotten this before the update. I am not experiencing this on any other application (Capture One, Photoshop, Office apps, et cetera) so I do not believe it is the computer or operating system. Unfortunately I don't think I can reliably repeat it. It does seem to happen when I am viewing images (on a second monitor, although I don't know that this has any bearing). I have Canon cameras; the crashes recently are when I am viewing .cr2 or .cr3 files, although I have not tested other formats such as JPG recently. It does not crash for every image, which is why it is difficult to troubleshoot. This occured several times in the last 10 minutes, closing IMatch every time. Obviously this is pretty unusable. I have been really hoping to use IMatch as my go-to image management system, but so far my experiences have not been good. I am using a licensed version.

I am happy to do any testing/troubleshooting you would like. FYI I am very computer experienced--I have been a full-time IT system administrator for many years and have done software development before that.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Frequent crashes
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 09:55:03 PM »
You experience this when you do what?
When IMatch crashes (which is truly rare) it produces a DUMP file. See The Debug Dump File for details.
Did IMatch produce a DUMP file? If not, the cause for the problem is something external, like a driver, Windows component, anti-virus, WIC codec, graphic card driver etc.

IMatch also always writes a log file (see log file), which persists even in the event of a crash. Just secure this log file before you restart IMatch, ZIP and attach to your reply.
This will give us a minimum of information to work with.

If you experience the problem while the Quick View Panel is open or you are working in the Viewer: Do you have a NVIDIA graphic card?

akirot

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 11:31:38 AM »
I'm experiencing the same for a longer period of time now (didn't report due to time constraints and switched to a different non IMatch viewer).
IMatch and Win are the most current versions. (And yes I use a NVIDIA card.)
It exclusively happens in the viewer (not Quickview which is closed).
It happens with CR2s (which should be served from the previewcache on disc) and JPGs as well (which are not cached according to my configuration settings).
Scrolling through the images (sometimes when setting a bookmark) the message box appears "IMatch encountered..."
Actually there are four of these identical message boxes stacked (they can be moved with the mouse).
The viewer itself remains responsive and I can scroll to the next image. But all other IMatch processes are stopped.
As soon as I hit Okay in one of the message boxes the viewer stops too.
Despite being announced a dump file apparently never is created (at least there never appears the message box with the bug in the upper left corner as described in the help).
The log file shows nothing (except the recently displayed images as the last actions).
Starting IMatch again I can continue working and viewing as if nothing happened (except the message box giving me the option to view the log file).
As there are four of the error messages - my CPU has four physical cores. This might be somehow related; all IMatch threads are set to automatic ("0"), background processing, indexing etc. is switched off.
This behaviour isn't exactly reproducable. It never happens directly after starting IMatch but always after having worked with IMatch for some time.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 11:58:09 AM »
It exclusively happens in the viewer (not Quickview which is closed).

This has been discussed several times.
Whenever i receive a crash report, the crash did not happen in IMatch but in a DLL which is part of the NVIDIA driver. Nothing I can do about this.
IMatch uses Windows DirectX functions to render images. DirectX accesses the graphic card driver. The driver crashes. Only NVIDIA can fix this.

Do you use the latest driver?
Do you use a manually installed Game-ready driver or Studio Driver? Or the default driver installed by Windows?
For the small number of users affected by this, installing the latest driver or rolling back to an earlier driver version solved the issue. This depends on the actual installation and PC.
I have two NVIDIA cards and I have never experienced this.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 12:04:20 PM by Mario »

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 07:42:51 PM »
See this thread for some pointers: https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=10785.0

Apparently, the crappy NVIDIA GForce Experience software is the problem for some users. I never install this because a) I only need the driver and b) this software installs services which monitor your PC usage and report home to NVIDIA via telemetry. I don't want that.

aep

• New Members
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 08:24:53 PM »
Hi Mario,

My apologies for the late response. I am used to forums giving some notification that there is a response; I will try to check more often.

I cannot say for sure what I am doing at the time, as I said I cannot reliably repeat it. As I also said, it happens when I am viewing a .cr2/.cr3 file in a separate view window. Yes, I always make sure I have the latest video drivers, and nVidia GEforce Experience is not installed. I am updating again to the most recent update (as you know they update the drivers constantly...makes me think they can't get it right...). I will also look at the dump file; thank you for that reference. I will write back if I can provide any further details or if I figure out what is causing it and, especially, if I can find a fix.

Thank you!

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 09:32:50 PM »
My apologies for the late response. I am used to forums giving some notification that there is a response; I will try to check more often.

This community does not SPAM you. If you want to be notified about responses to your posts, enable the "Notify me of replies" options for your posts. Or subscribe to boards you want to follow.

Jingo

• Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 04:46:34 PM »

This community does not SPAM you. If you want to be notified about responses to your posts, enable the "Notify me of replies" options for your posts. Or subscribe to boards you want to follow.

Or do what I do.. just click the "Show unread posts since last visit" link each time you visit the board... you won't miss a thing!

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 05:11:55 PM »
Or just "Show replies to your posts"... so many options, so easily to overlook...