Categories - location

Started by frlindla, December 30, 2020, 11:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frlindla

Under Imatch standard categories there is location. I thought all geotagged photos should be visible here? This is not the case for me. Could something be wrong with some settings? But I have location (hierarchical) in my keywords added by Imatch. That may be good enough? The advantage with keywords is the visibility for other applications.

I have also read somewhere that I can add a symbol to the photos assigned with a category. How do I do that?

Mario

This data-driven category is filled from the metadata in your files.
Do the files only fail to show under location, or also under country and city?
Check the location data for these files in the Metadata Panel to be sure.

QuoteI have also read somewhere that I can add a symbol to the photos assigned with a category. How do I do that?

Assigned to any category or specific categories?
Basically, you setup a File Window layout with a custom template, which allows you to process variables. And display text or an icon if a file is assigned to a category.
If you search this community, you will find a couple of examples, especially from user sinus.

The IMatch Knowledge Base has the Use Custom Icons in the File Window article which explains how to display icons in the file window.
The KB article shows how to display an icon if a file has keywords. You can apply the same logic, just with a category variable to display an icon when the file is assigned you the category.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Here is my File Window Layout export which should help you figure out how to setup icons... as you can see, the script isn't too complex.. but any tiny typing mistake will cause the entire thing to not work.. so be careful, start small and backup often!  Obviously, the icons will need to be setup in the location of choice on your machine...  ;D

Enjoy - Andy.

For example, the following code is used to show the KEY icon in the above thumbnail if the image has keywords (greyed version of icon if it has none) and the number of keywords assigned to that image:

{File.MD.hierarchicalkeywords|hasValue:XXX;default:<Image Source='C:\ProgramData\photools.com\imatch6\webroot\user\icons\KeyBW-1.png'/>;pereplace:XXX==<Image Source='C:\ProgramData\photools.com\imatch6\webroot\user\icons\Key.png'/>}<Run FontWeight='Bold' FontSize='10pt'>{File.MD.hierarchicalkeywords|count:true}</Run>

zematima

Hi Jingo:
Thanks for showing your thumbnail.
One question:
Where did you get the icons?
Thanks in advance and a happy new year.
JRosa

Jingo

My pleasure.. tons of free icons packs on the market - but I like www.flaticon.com... you want to use smallish icons... like 16x16 pixels in size.. Enjoy!

zematima

Thanks Jingo.
Downloaded a few, put them on IMatch.
Working fine.
Amazing software.

frlindla

Is it possible to use a value filter for this? To filter and give all files assigned to a category (any category) in the current scope.

Mario

Quote from: frlindla on January 05, 2021, 11:27:58 AM
Is it possible to use a value filter for this? To filter and give all files assigned to a category (any category) in the current scope.

Just use the Category Filter in the Filter Panel: Filter for Categories
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frlindla

I have some mess with my locations. Take a look at the attachment. How can I edit and solve this?

I want a hierarchical structure under Locations with Norway on top, the county below, commune below and location in last part of the structure. I have read about locations, but can`t find out how to solve this.

Mario

You have used different names for the same language. Hence, you'll get multiple child-categories on the country level.

1. Decide which name you would like to use. NORGE or NORWAY I suppose.
2. Select the NORWAY, NORWAY category.
3. Select all files in that category with Ctrl+A
4. In the Country field in the Metadata Panel, enter NORWAY to change the country tag for all files at once.

Done.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frlindla

Thanks! But how can I get rid of the NORWAY,NORWaY category in the category panel? Not possible to delete?

And can I build the hierarcy: Country-county-commune-location?

Mario

Quote from: frlindla on January 07, 2021, 10:48:41 PM
Thanks! But how can I get rid of the NORWAY,NORWaY category in the category panel? Not possible to delete?

This category is dynamically build from the contents of the country tag in the metadata of your files. Fix the different spellings of NORWAY and you're good. The category will update automatically when you correct the metadata.

"commune" is not a XMP location field. There is country, ISO code, state, city and location.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frlindla

Thank you. When I select all files in a folder and want to change location data, it seems like the changes are not applied to all photos. See the attachments. Do you know why?

Mario

No. Please repeat your steps and maybe re-read the corresponding information in the IMatch Help System: Working With Multiple Files
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frlindla

Thank you very much:) Sorry for not reading enough:) In fact, I have read a lot, but Imatch has so many features, so it takes time to learn all the good stuff;)

Mario

Quote from: frlindla on January 08, 2021, 05:28:42 PM
In fact, I have read a lot, but Imatch has so many features, so it takes time to learn all the good stuff;)

This is normal. Even I need to consult the help system from time to time, when I use a complex feature I have not used for a long time. One can only remember so much, and I need to remember lots of new stuff every day.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

frlindla

The help system is really good, with a lot of details! You have done a good job! Imatch has so many features and tools that many of us don`t know them. What has helped me a lot in addition to the community and help system is your video tutorials. I hope you give us more videos, there are so much to learn in this software!:)

Mario

Yeah, well...

I'd love to do more video tutorials. And to improve the help. And to make IMatch better. And to...
Unfortunately, even for a German a day has only 48 hours and I cannot clone myself  :D

I'd hoped that some experienced users create some videos, explaining IMatch features (like so many do for Lightroom and Photoshop). But it did not happen, and so I need to do it all by myself.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on January 08, 2021, 08:32:46 PM

I'd hoped that some experienced users create some videos, explaining IMatch features (like so many do for Lightroom and Photoshop).

On my list for 2021... I too just need to find that extra 49th hour...  8)

frlindla

Sorry to say, but I still have problems with locations. When I select a folder and want to apply locations, the following happens:

1. I select all photos in the folder and apply coordinates.
2. I then use the reverse geocode command and use the lookup all command.
3. I edit location data and have the "fill only empty fields" checked
4. In the metadata panel it looks like all photos have all location fields filled: country code, country, city, location and sublocation
5. But in the category panel I have these problems: the location box have a grey state indicating that just the focused file have all location data. The second problem I often have, is that location fields are filled twice, like this "Norway,Norway"

I can`t find out what I do wrong. Can someone help?

JohnZeman

It sounds like you are using a metadata template to fill in your locations because you said you have the option checked to only fill in empty fields.

If you are using a metadata template to fill in your locations then check your options as highlighted in the attached screenshot.

Also, after you've filled in the metadata make sure the files have had their metadata written back to the files (no yellow pencil icons).

Disregard the above, after re-reading what you said it sounds like you might be using IMatch locations to fill in your fields.

Can you post screenshots of what you are doing?

frlindla

Screenshot 1 shows the reverse geocoding after coordinates are applied. I use the lookup all command here. But not all fields are filled or not as I want, so I change that here.

In screenshot 2 you see that city and sublocation shows "Multiple values". I write the right values here and enter the green checkbox.

If I write-back to file now, I thought all files should get the same location values as the focused file. But that doesn`t happen. In the category panel, under "Locations" in Imatch standard categories, I can see that the focused file is applied but not the other files in the folder.

frlindla

In the category panel the checkbox has a grey state. In the help system it says:

"The check box in front of this category is using a gray state to indicate that. If you click on it, all selected files will be assigned to "people.Male", or un-assigned if you click again."

I have tried to click it, but is not allowed/nothing happens.

Mario

You cannot manipulate data-driven categories in the Category Panel. Their content is derived from metadata in your images.

Maybe the category has not been updated yet? Maybe it has been set to manual update? Or IMatch is busy doing other things? You can refresh data-driven categories in the Category View with Shift+Ctrl+F5 or the button in the toolbar.

Maybe your reverse geo-coding an settings don't work as you expect?
Did you check the metadata panel for files which appear with the wrong value in the Location category hierarchy under IMatch Standard Categories?
Did you check the location category settings to ensure that works as intended?
Is your database old or new? Many revisions of this category hierarchy have been published over the years, but these changes only affect newly created databases.
If in doubt, you can delete the "IMatch Standard" and "IMatch Workflow" categeories and then re-import them via the Category Import feature from the file "C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\Presets\system-en.imcsx" or "C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\Presets\system-de.imcsx" (for Germany) or "C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\Presets\system-nl.imcsx" (for Dutch).

When I do a reverse geodoe for a dozen files, they all show up in the proper Location category immediately.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

When you do a reverse geocoding for multiple images with differing locations, changing one of the returned data fields changes the information only for the one selected record. I've assumed that's the intended behavior - or is it a bug?
John

Jingo

Quote from: jch2103 on January 10, 2021, 07:20:12 PM
When you do a reverse geocoding for multiple images with differing locations, changing one of the returned data fields changes the information only for the one selected record. I've assumed that's the intended behavior - or is it a bug?

I believe that is how it has always worked.  The Lookup All is performing reverse geo for ALL images at once but the data for each image can be thousands of miles apart so manual edits to one image SHOULD not affect the others that may have different results.  If you have images within the same radial area, it is better to perform a single lookup for one image and then copy those meta results to the other images thus saving API calls (and potential $$$).

frlindla

I have fixed it now. Thanks for all your help! But the altitude is not right many times...