"Select none" keyboard shortcut

Started by Carlo Didier, December 11, 2020, 10:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

I'm missing a simple and direct shortcut to deselect all selected files. I could do Ctrl-A & Ctrl-I, but that means that in a view with thousands of files but only a dozen selected, I would first select all the thousands of files just to the invert the selection to deselct them.
Any other application I know of which has a selection option also has a direct keyboard shortcut to "deselect all" or "select none".

Not a big deal, but sometimes annoying ...

Mario

Hm. Not sure if this is often needed.

Just made a test: It takes 0.3 seconds to Crl+A and Ctrl+I 50,000 files, which effectively means you can de-select 50K files in 0.3 seconds.
Not sure how often you need to really de-select all files and keep only one file focused but not selected. Not really common.
As you said, pressing two keyboard shortcuts instead of one in these cases is only a small inconvenience.

Clicking outside a thumbnail panel also resets the selection.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

Quote from: Carlo Didier on December 11, 2020, 10:47:11 AM
Any other application I know of which has a selection option also has a direct keyboard shortcut to "deselect all" or "select none".
Windows Explorer? Ctrl-A selects all files, but is there a shortcut to deselect?
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Carlo Didier

Quote from: thrinn on December 11, 2020, 03:22:32 PM
Quote from: Carlo Didier on December 11, 2020, 10:47:11 AM
Windows Explorer? Ctrl-A selects all files, but is there a shortcut to deselect?
Windows Explorer is not an application ...  ;)
But there is a key to deselct all in Windows Explorer: F5  ;D

DigPeter

Slightly different slant.  Can a selection in IM be inverted?

sinus

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

See Keyboard Cheat Sheet
It's the second (!) shortcut listed on that page... ;)

I do all the work with the help (and I really like the neat kcheat sheet) but nobody is fkn reading that stuff...  :-X
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on December 12, 2020, 07:28:47 PM
See Keyboard Cheat Sheet

I do all the work with the help (and I really like the neat kcheat sheet) but nobody is fkn reading that stuff...  :-X

Would be a really interested study to determine how much a detailed HELP system makes a difference to software use and satisfaction...  I always check the help systems first... software like IMatch and XYPlorer have TREMENDOUS help and often it is the only place I need to go to figure something out.  Others are severley lacking... and off to the internet I go for a quick search to help.  I think most general users use the internet so much more than the F1 these days...

DigPeter

Quote from: Mario on December 12, 2020, 07:28:47 PM
See Keyboard Cheat Sheet

Sorry Mario - I will try to do better :-X
There is so much stuff in and around IM that it I personally have difficulty remembering it all.