New "dublicate search" option

Started by ben, November 21, 2020, 10:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

This is a thank you for the new dublicate search option.
;D ;D

I used it the last two evenings to find and cleanup about 3.000 dublicate files in lots of different folders.
It would have taken me days and days to fix this manually.

The function could be improved to make different use cases more easy.
I had to use several filters and invert filters, but the new function was of really great help!

In case there are other users who use the function, i might file a feature request.
Otherwise it absolutely works for me fine.
(e.g. select only originals; exclude folders; swap original/dublicates)

Thanks again!
Ben

imfan

are your pictures scattered all over the place or do you have  sort of an incoming folder were you then can reference your "originals" to an incomming folder.

I do the following:

I have a pool_1 and a pool_2 - pool_1 are my originals.
I have a colour coded category "dups".
I have setup inside the preference TAB "indexing" checkmarked "All duplicate files" (last window at the bottom)  and selected the corresponding category "dups"

After an import, dups have the color code bar visible. So then I can delete these pictures.

I cant imagine how iMatch should define a picture as an "Original" - unless you define it manually.

swap original/dups: in the result window you get the dups as well as the "original" visible listed. Select your original, use Ctrl+X on your original picture, select right click on the dup picture and "go to folder" in the pop up menu, delete the dup and use Ctrl+V, now you have moved the original picture into the folder were you found the dup.

For a huge amout of pictures, there is better program for your special case.

mastodon

And how to search fo already imported dups? Any solution, even other progs? Abou 38.000 pictures.

Mario

If you select all files in the database and run the dupe search, the result window shows all originals with their duplicates.
Files without duplicates are not listed.

IMatch cannot decide which of the files you want to keep. If you switch the result window to show the "original" files in-line with their results, you can easily view/delete/bookmark/copy/cut ... any file, like in other file windows.

In most cases you can use the file window search bar or the filter panel or one of the workflow categories (like, "no keywords" or "no title") to filter out the unwanted and so-far unprocessed duplicates. This depends on your setup of course, and why you have duplicates, how the duplicates differ from files you want to keep. I'm sure you can work something out. 32K files is not much. I did this with collections of 500,000 files several times.

If you don't care and just want to keep one file, don't in-line the originals with matches. In the result window then just do a Ctrl+A and <Del> to reject all dupes.
Review the files in the "Rejected" collection and then delete.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

mastodon

Thanks Mario, that was quick search, about a second!!!

Mario

Quote from: mastodon on November 23, 2020, 02:17:06 PM
Thanks Mario, that was quick search, about a second!!!
Yep! I've made this extra fast, even for very large databases. ;D
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook