Author Topic: waypoint synchro for better accuracy in pictures geotagging  (Read 98 times)

fdl

• New Members
waypoint synchro for better accuracy in pictures geotagging
« on: November 19, 2020, 08:08:43 PM »
Hi all Imatch users
I would like to add a request for a feature that in my humble opinion is worthy to reconsider again.
For photographer using the GPX Track Log Import menu in the map panel of Imatch, maybe they will agree with me that synchronizing using track points (instead of waypoints) from the GPS track log file is very straightforward and convenient, but not very accurate.
For most part of the naturalist (birdwatchers, plant lovers,...) or field scientists community the use of waypoints in the GPS is widely accepted. Why donĀ“t include in the Imatch menu the possibility to synchronize pics times with waypoint times (not only track log time)?
Please see if this request suit you too,

from a for long Imatch lover,

felipe

jch2103

• Oldtimer
Re: waypoint synchro for better accuracy in pictures geotagging
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 10:28:55 PM »
I'd support this, although I hardly ever use waypoints. Note that you'd have to load waypoints one at a time and then use a procedure very similar to what IMatch already uses for GPX track logs (i.e., check the date/time of the photo(s) against the date/time of the waypoint). If you have a lot of waypoints, it would be much easier to use a GPX track log instead.

Regarding accuracy of the GPX track log, it very much depends on how the track log is recorded and how accurately the camera date/time is set. I've had excellent results with stand-alone GPS devices (including my Garmin sports watch) and mixed results with GPX logs created by smartphone apps. I've also used Nikon's SnapBridge, which can be reasonably accurate, but results depend on app settings and how the phone records locations (I've had situations where the phone used a local cell tower location instead of GPS coordinates).

++ Also note that if you already have waypoint coordinates, you could type or copy/paste them into the IMatch Map module Find dialog, set a location pin and then assign images to that location. Should work OK in your use case. If it doesn't, please repost here so we can see what went wrong.
John

Carlo Didier

• Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 11:21:43 AM »
Same as John here. The track logs are largely precise enough (seldom more than 10-20m off an who needs more precision?). Never ever used waypoints.

Big advantage with a track log is also that you may forget to set a waypoint, but the track log just runs, you only have to start it at the beginning.

But of course, workflows and requirements vary, so the option might be interesting to some users.

P.S.: if anyone knows how to fully automatically get recorded track logs from my phone to my PC (without internet!!!) ...

DigPeter

• Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 01:37:01 PM »

How accurate do we want or need? My commercial gps device claims accuracy to +/-3m at best, but there is no explanation as to the meaning of that figure: is it absolute (point is with 3m of that position) or is it a statistical figure (based on standard deviations, perhaps 50%, 80% of readings will be within 3m?).  So I always regard a gps reading as being within 10m of the true position.  I would have thought that is good enough for the great majority of purposes.  And as said above, it depends on the camera time being accurately synchronised.

I would not use waypoints.

Carlo Didier

• Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 08:55:47 PM »
... it depends on the camera time being accurately synchronised.
Excelent point!