IMatch And CPU Temps Under Load

Started by Darius1968, November 19, 2020, 10:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

Given that my CPU temps hover around 73°F (22.77°C) at rest, to try and troubleshoot PC troubles, I decided I would measure what my temps were like while I had IMatch perform a task that takes about 1 min., 45 sec. - refreshing a data driven category (based on a variable), containing about 400,000 files.  During this task, my CPU (Intel Core I9-9900K @ 3.60 Ghz.) temps range from about 135°F (51.22°C) to 190°F (87.77°C), probably hovering at around 178°F (81.11°C), on average.  Are these normal temps, in the presence of IMatch doing a big calculation? 

Mario

It seems your system is running your CPU very hot. 90° is quite high.

When IMatch updates data-driven categories, usually the main work is done by the disk - because IMatch has to pull in a lot of data. Especially if the category is built from 400,000 files.
But there is also a fair lot of internal processing to do, from string matching to transformations. IMatch does this in parallel, utilizing one processor core per category level.
Usually your CPU should not get that hot, because a few seconds of calculations should not stress it too much. Most of the time IMatch has to wait when reading/writing data from/to the disk. This automatically caps processor usage. This is the case even on super-fast m.2 SSDs like I use.

But when you run face detection, IMatch will utilize the full CPU power for prolonged times. And since IMatch uses AVX instructions, this part of the CPU will also run a lot of math.
I've read that under similar synthetic benchmarks the i9 can reach 90° and more, unless the cooling in the PC up to the task.

I use PCs with large "tower" cases and sufficient cooling. I can run face recognition on all 12 cores (24 with HT) for hours (I did this for months while developing the IMatch AI) without the CPU becoming more than warm. My new PC uses regular cooling (AMD CPU), the other one using water cooling (Intel CPU).

If your CPU gets too hot, it will step down (become slower) to get rid of the heat.
Nothing bad should happen, your PC will just get slower.
If you use a Notebook-style PC, cooling is of course more critical. But the vendor should have make sure that the CPU stays well within specs all the time and the cooling system is sufficient.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Well, my PC is encased in an In Win 303 case, and its cooling is supposed to be pretty good, although I don't have the exact specs on hand. 

More specifically, my data driven category is based on the variable, File.Modified.  It seems, that it will go in cycles, ranging from the CPU at a temp of 185°F (85°C) for a little bit, and then it will drop down to about 135°F (57.22°C) or so.  Then, the cycle will repeat itself a few times, for a couple minutes, until the task is completed.  So, since you say my CPU is getting hot, what would more normal temps be, and what could I do to troubleshoot the reason why?  Thanks. 

P.S.
I know, I already said this, but my data driven category - set up for this task - is based on a variable, not a tag.  Just making this statement, because I wonder what the differences are between the two, where CPU temps would be concerned. 

Mario

Then IMatch does not need to read data from the database when updating the category (the data is already in memory). It only writes data.
The CPU will be more busy then. But nothing a software can do should overheat the CPU, it will just step down until it gets cooler again.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Do you have any test benchmarks for the processor I have, with respect to the temps that it would reach, doing a task like I'm doing? 

Mario

You can find this info by just googling for your CPU and the word temp.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

I was looking at cpu temperatures the other day. My CPU (M4400) was running at 60 C. I was reading in the specs of my particular CPU 0 - 100 C, So after that I was not overly concerned at 60 C.
As Mario says, the CPU is designed to slow down as it gets hotter.
BTW my Raspberry PI consistently runs at 60C, even when not on load, though if I put in an external fan run from 5V pin I can get it down to 48C.

My Dell M4800 with Intel Core i7 4900MQ runs at 48C at rest.

I use a little program called speccy (made by ccleaner - I DON'T use ccleaner though). It gives good info about all hardware.

Aubrey.

jch2103

@Darius1968: Make sure the dust filter on the bottom of your case is clean. I had forgotten my case had a filter on the bottom; when I remembered (partly because my fans were noisy and constantly running fast), it was quite clogged. Cleaning the filter made a big difference.
John

sinus

Quote from: jch2103 on November 19, 2020, 07:25:58 PM
@Darius1968: Make sure the dust filter on the bottom of your case is clean. I had forgotten my case had a filter on the bottom; when I remembered (partly because my fans were noisy and constantly running fast), it was quite clogged. Cleaning the filter made a big difference.

Good hint.
One of my PC burnt (really) because such dust!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Darius1968

I did wipe clean the inside of the case a little bit to remove some dust, but generally speaking, the insides are pretty clean.  I have the case sitting on a large family dinner table that is a few feet off the ground, and this really helps with dust control! 

Lukas52

The I9-9900K is known to run quite hot, even on bigger coolers. That's partially down to the fact that it runs fairly old architecture cranked to the max, but mostly its because of Thermal targets. This means that your CPU boosts itself until it reaches either a certain temperature or power limit or until there is no more work to do.

To be able to judge your cooling performance clock speeds under load as well as CPU Power consumption would be necessary.

Just as an example: My Threadripper 2950X reaches about 80°C under load, which would seem hot given its enormous cooler. But it does so at nearly 5 GHz all core boost and more than ~320 Watts of power consumption.