Tagging people in Imatch - visible in other applications?

Started by frlindla, October 23, 2020, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frlindla

Where is the information in people view stored? In the sidecar file?

Mario

IMatch creates standard XMP face regions for your face annotations. And tags them with the tag.
Like everything IMatch does, this is explained in the Help System: Working with XMP Face Regions, so I recommend you read the info there for all the details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

bekesizl

It works between Mylio and IMatch in both directions.
I use the Mylio->IMatch direction every time.
I tested the other dircetion with one image and the changes were visible.

You have to write back the annotations in IMatch and wait in Mylio until the files are updated there.

In Mylio the annotations are written back automatically for RAW files to the sidecar. For JPG only you have to write them back with "Photo - Save metadata to file".

I don't use other tools able to read or display face annotations.

Mario

Interesting. The last time I was looking at how and which metadata Mylio is producing, I was not really impressed. Only subsets of data, no synching etc.
I would be very careful when processing metadata in multiple applications. Make sure all your applications do what you think they are doing and that metadata is not suddenly missing or reduced to a small subset of XMP (which application X bothers to support).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

bekesizl

Mylio is not in the same league as IMatch in handling of metadata, but I also don't use a very broad range.

I mentioned it here, because the OP is very probably also a user of Mylio, as I see him also on their forum.

If I save something in Mylio, IMatch usually wants to write back to the file. It is showing me, that there are lacks in the way Mylio saves the data.
On the other hand, I feel, that the collaboration is really good.
The changes are seen on both sides and as my files are JPG or RAW+XMP sidecar, they get well together.

I try not to do very much metadata editing in Mylio, but I like its face recognition and it was there before I got to IMatch.
But I very much like the feature of having a preview of all my photos on my phone without having to have a server on the internet running 24/7 and without using many mobile data.
There are no real alternatives for this at the moment.

Mario

Quote from: bekesizl on October 24, 2020, 04:02:53 PM
I try not to do very much metadata editing in Mylio, but I like its face recognition and it was there before I got to IMatch.
But I very much like the feature of having a preview of all my photos on my phone without having to have a server on the internet running 24/7 and without using many mobile data.
There are no real alternatives for this at the moment.

OneDrive and DropBox etc. maybe be an alternative. You can sync selected folders, use the preview features... I do that frequently, synching folders managed in IMatch (via the DropBox / OD folder on my PC) to my mobile and tablet. I sync when I have Wi-Fi so usually no extra mobile data usage. If desired I can share files with others, send out links, do web galleries and whatnot.
I get 5 TB (!) of free OneDrive with my 5-user 70 US$ per year Microsoft Office 365 subscription, which I use for backup and sharing.

Mylio has surely additional benefits and features.
I have not used it long enough - just checked compatibility to IMatch and common image editors / RAW Processors, workflow and how they handle with legacy IPTC, EXIF, GPS and XMP. I would not use Mylio to edit metadata in my files.

Change: Added "not use Mylio".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

bekesizl

It is starting to get off-topic for this thread, but anyway:

It also uses Onedrive or Google drive (or Amazon) if you want, but you can choose to encrypt the uploaded data.
I also use my Office365 subscription to have a cloud backup of all my photos, encrypted.
As my phone's memory is not super large, not all previews can be stored on it so Mylio balances which files are stored there and which it downloads from the cloud when needed.

It is not a classical DAM. I don't have legacy IPTC data in my files (that I know of/use), so I don't know if it can handle it. It is a software of newer generation.

I can also share photos from my phone (let's say I am showing some photos to a family member and they want it, I can share it right away) and also rate them (or mark them in an album and share later the originals edited in an external editor).
It also synchronizes photos from my phone to my PC, using clever networking technology.

But keywording in it is a nightmare. It can save GPS data, but not from a track log and it does reverse geocoding, but only visible inside Mylio.
That is where I use IMatch.

Title/Description/Star ratings(without reject)/color labels(Lightroom scheme) are working great.
There are newly added IPTC (XMP) creator fields.
And they also have excellent support.

If you are clever enough, you can use the best from both tools to your benefit.

PaulS

Quote from: Mario on October 24, 2020, 04:19:15 PM
I would use Mylio to edit metadata in my files.

Did you intend to post:  "I would NOT use Mylio to edit metadata in my files"?

Mario

Quote from: PaulS on October 24, 2020, 05:54:05 PM
Did you intend to post:  "I would NOT use Mylio to edit metadata in my files"?

Yes. Thanks. Corrected.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator