Add hierchical keywords

Started by frlindla, October 18, 2020, 07:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frlindla

I want to import a norwegian lightroom keyword list into Imatch. I have som questions:

1. What do I do with the keywordlist (the default) already in Imatch? Take a look at the attachment. If I shall delete this list, do I select the keyword folder and delete that?

2. What about the keywords that I already have added to my photos? I guess I just keep them and delete the bad ones? Or can the keywords I already have be synonyms?

3. I don't know actually if there's any metadata standard(s) for hierarchical keywords, or just proprietary implementations. If I use other applications I may risk that these keywords are not shown properly there?

Mario

See: The Universal Thesaurus for general reference.

1. You can remove selected or all keywords from your thesaurus in the Thesaurus Manager. To remove all keywords, switch to the "Keywords" entry and press <Del>.

2. Changes you make to your thesaurus do not affect existing keywords in your files or the database.
See also The @Keywords Category in the IMatch help and the related video tutorials in the IMatch Learning Center for efficient ways to globally change or remove keywords.

QuoteI guess I just keep them and delete the bad ones?
Whatever works best for you. IMatch does not make any assumptions.

QuoteOr can the keywords I already have be synonyms?
Synonyms are controlled via the thesaurus. There are no synonyms in metadata - as soon as you add a synonym, it becomes a regular keyword.
IMatch can still tell if a keyword is a synonym for another keyword via the thesaurus.
You can create new synonyms for new or existing keywords at any time. If these synonyms are already used as keywords in some of your files does not matter.
If you introduce new keywords and make a previously used keyword a synonym for it, IMatch will handle this like any other synonym or keyword. IMatch is very powerful when it comes to keywords and metadata.

3. This is an industry standard. Adobe introduced hierarchical keywords in Lightroom many years ago and other applications implemented the concept too. Which includes most corporate-grade DAM software, pro-grade DAM software like IMatch and others. IMatch takes care that flat keywords in legacy IPTC, XMP and the hierarchical keywords are always properly synchronized.

There is a related standard/recommendation by the Metadata Working Group, but it is badly convoluted, would blow up file size massively and never 'made it'.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frlindla

Thanks! So Lightroom and Imatch works very similar when it comes to working with keywords?

Mario

Quote from: frlindla on October 18, 2020, 09:04:56 PM
Thanks! So Lightroom and Imatch works very similar when it comes to working with keywords?

Yes. But I would dare to say that IMatch goes to 300%  ;)

I would recommend to read the knowledge base article Using Adobe Lightroom® and IMatch together if you are interested in Lr or switched from Lr to IMatch to use both together.

Tip: There are literally tons of knowledge base articles, help topis and free tutorial videos which should answer most of your questions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

frlindla

And will it mean anything for the thesaurus that I import a Norwegian keyword list?

Mario

Quote from: frlindla on October 18, 2020, 10:35:12 PM
And will it mean anything for the thesaurus that I import a Norwegian keyword list?

No? Why should it it?
Just import your keyword list and use it. IMatch does not care "just works".

Tech Note: XMP is basically able to handle multi-language contents for some tags. The IMatch thesaurus is too. The IMatch thesaurus just manages the data you input or input.
BUT - storing XMP data in more than the "neutral" language is kind of risky - because many applications out there (includingAdobe products) have severe issues with XMP data using anything but the "neutral" language. Many even don't import or delete XMP data not stored in the neutral language...

Hence, IMatch by default stores everything in the "neutral" language and does neither know nor case that the keywords you use are Norwegian, Chinese, Japanese, Gaelic, German or whatever. IMatch treats your keywords as text and makes sure they are stored in your files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator