Categories for Face Manager identified faces?

Started by Lord_Helmchen, October 18, 2020, 06:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Helmchen

Hello,

I couldn't find any information about this topic (so thanks for a link, if there is already the answer available): I want automatically populated categories for all persons in Face Manager. So additional faces should automatically create new (sub) categories.

Thanks,

Friedhelm

Mario

You can enter categories, keyword and all other properties for a person in the Person Editor
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Lord_Helmchen

Thanks for quick response. But from my understanding I have to add category for each person manually. Or can I define all (existing and new) persons will have an entry in "person|<Tag>"?

Mario

I don't follow...

The Person Manager allows you to link a person to one or more existing categories.
And you can link it to any number of keywords.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Lord_Helmchen

Maybe I have to explain it more in general.

I usually store the keywords in metadata. But I don't want to have Person namesin meta data. I just want to have the persons available as categories. Preferred, for a newly assigned Person a corresponding category should be created.

E.g. I have:

• Persons|John Doe
  • Persons|Sarah Smith
Then I create a new Person in Person Editor (Thomas Edison), a new category should be created automatically:

• Persons|Thomas Edison
It would be fine for me, if the category Persons will be populated only from Person Editor (e.g. a different "view" on the Persons Editor).

Is this possible?

mastodon

You mean, an automatic fill out in the "Person editor" panels "Keywords" section. Would be nice.

Mario

This sounds like a feature request. But it was posted in a board that is meant to give other users tips, post how-to's and FAQs.
Please read the description for each board before posting. Don't just post in the first board that comes up.

I will move this this time in the correct board.

Basically what you want is a way to create a new category directly in the Person Editor, right?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: mastodon on October 19, 2020, 02:23:20 PM
You mean, an automatic fill out in the "Person editor" panels "Keywords" section. Would be nice.
If you replace "Keywords" with "Categories" then yes. I don't want the Persons to be stored in Metadata.

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: Mario on October 19, 2020, 02:54:51 PM
This sounds like a feature request.
As I'm not aware if there is a way, I just wanted to know how I could do this. I thought, that this is possible. If it doesn't work out of the box, I'll make a feature request.

QuoteBasically what you want is a way to create a new category directly in the Person Editor, right?
That would be 2nd best solution. My aim would be to have a "view" or "mirror" from Categories into Person Editor. Like "@Keywords" Category, where automatically all keywords appear when they are created. So I create a new Person in Person Editor, the Person "Thomas Edison" automatically appears in Category "Persons|Thomas Edison".

QuoteBut it was posted in a board that is meant to give other users tips, post how-to's and FAQs.
Please read the description for each board before posting. Don't just post in the first board that comes up.
Sorry, I thought I chose the correct board.

Mario

1. When you use keywords for persons, the @Keywords category automatically groups your files by person(s) included in the file. This also aids the search in IMatch.
2. The People View allows you to see all files associated with one or more persons.
3. You can configure one or more categories to be assigned when you assign a person to a face.
4. The Annotations|Regions|Persons collection automatically groups files by persons (via the face annotation).
5. You can create a data-driven category on the {File.Persons.FullName} to automatically organize your files by the persons in these files.
If you use an index, you can even build a data-driven category on the "first" person (or the first two or ...) in the file, if you like.

All this works right out-of-the box and gives you a lot of possibilities to organize your files by persons.

I'm not sure if the effort to create a new special type of category which mirrors people assignments in a separate category hierarchy would be that useful, or useful for many.
This could also be complex to implement without slowing down IMatch while making sure that the category is always accurate. Basically the same logic as data-driven categories, but totally separate.
Adding a "Create Category" button in the Person Editor would be doable with maybe a day of work. This would save one step (manually creating a category per person in the category view).

Let's see what other users say.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: Mario on October 19, 2020, 07:50:09 PM5. You can create a data-driven category on the {File.Persons.FullName} to automatically organize your files by the persons in these files.
If you use an index, you can even build a data-driven category on the "first" person (or the first two or ...) in the file, if you like.
Thanks a lot! That looks mainly what I was looking for. But when I created this data driven category, I not only get categories like "Persons|John Doe", I also get "Persons|John Doe;Sarah Smith" when there were both in the same photo.
How can I get sub-categories for each Person only?

Mario

As I said above, if a file contains multiple persons, the variable returns all persons. You can use an index to group by the first person only etc.

I forgot to mention that can of course use the value split option for the data-driven category to split the variable content at the ; => individual person names for your categories.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Lord_Helmchen

Thanks Mario. That was exactly, what I was looking for!

Mario

Very good. This is the power of IMatch  ;D

Spread the word! Let others know about IMatch. They may not know yet that they need it  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator