Problems getting set up

Started by musashi77, September 14, 2020, 04:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musashi77

Hello,

im having some real issues getting IMAnywhere to work as it should. Ive got two main issues Ive been trying to work through the past couple of days.

Win10 - Database\IMWS
Win2012 - photo Files accessed via a Share\mapped drive

1. I cannot connect via any other computer in the network despite the host.
- use the back slash
- Ive tried connecting via IP and Hostname
Ive configured the config.json file to be both Host name and IP Address.
http://<computer name>:8081/imatchviewer/
http://<IP Address>:8081/imatchviewer/
- manually added the ports to the Firewall
- completely turned off the firewall

I am able to ping the computer by name and IP from other computers. Windows and Linux hosts only.

2. I cannot connect seem to get user account to connect or get the files mapped correctly.
- I'm not using the 'LocalSytem' user account.
- Ive set up specific accounts on both the Win10 (database) and Win2012 (Shared files) they are administrator accounts. Have full access to the Share
- use the IMWS application to configure the account
- Ive imported all the files as UNC (orginally they came in via a mapped drive but used the "relocate" option to change to UNC)

yet despite this everytime I log in I get the following message about the files being offline. Ive gone through the documentation and still can't work out what Im doing wrong.

Drive/Media off-line: '\ \ s2012\ PICS (983E-EA01)'. Note: If you run IMatch WebServices under the default 'LocalSystem' user account, it has no access to files and folders on other computers. See IMWS documentation for information about how to solve this.
Sep 14, 2020 7:09:10 PM (drive.unavailable)

Mario

1. The log file is virtually empty. It only contains one entry.
This cannot be a real log file, or something on your machine is immediately stopping IMWS (Virus Checker, Group Policy etc.).

Did you try to open a browser on the same PC running IMWS? Does that work?

2. Can you access the share from the PC running IMWS in IMatch?
In that case, the user running IMWS has no access to the resource or network at all.
But all this would be logged in the IMWS log file, but your log file contains only the first entry written shortly after the log file is opened. IMWS is doing nothing, not even starting up.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

musashi77

Quote1. The log file is virtually empty. It only contains one entry.
This cannot be a real log file, or something on your machine is immediately stopping IMWS (Virus Checker, Group Policy etc.).
Ok so have noticed something strange that might explain the log file.
When I start the Imatch Webservice Controller the location of the Service Log file shows as  C:\Users\danield\AppData\Local\Temp {the user danield is the logged on user} and when the service is started it changes to C:\Users\IMWS\AppData\Local\Temp {user IMWS is the local account created to run the service and access the files}
When I change the Default user in "configuration" This behavior doesn't change. I have attached screenshots and both log files (Screenshot IMWS_01 corresponds with IMATCH_WSC_LOG_01.txt and IMWS_02 corresponds with IMATCH_WEBSERVICE_LOG_02.TXT)
Virus is standard Defender and there are no group polices configured, its a standard Win10 install, not domained joined.

QuoteDid you try to open a browser on the same PC running IMWS? Does that work?
Yes, it works for the local computer, can browse, but obviously not connecting to the share, cause the admin messages keep confirming it timestamp of latest message matches the same time I log in.

Quote2. Can you access the share from the PC running IMWS in IMatch?
In that case, the user running IMWS has no access to the resource or network at all.
But all this would be logged in the IMWS log file, but your log file contains only the first entry written shortly after the log file is opened. IMWS is doing nothing, not even starting up.
I think Im getting lost here. Who exactly is the user running IMWS? Is it the account launching the app? Is it the account running the Service Account? Or is it the "default user"?

Also a bit of info that may be useful. I originally installed the Trial version last year, originally when I installed the newer version I was unable to do anything with the Controller, after researching I was able to locate and make a copy of the json file to get things working. Some of the previous install perhaps inferred with the new install or something. Im happy to start over with a fresh install if it would help, but want to make sure I can do a clean uninstall of the currently installed version.

Mario

IMatch Anywhere usually installs cleanly and works out-of-the box.
It is (for me) actually a zero service product - it just works.

If something does not work, from experience, it is either:

- Name resolution in the network (the PC running IMWS cannot be accessed via its name but only via its IP address - most common in Apple networks)
- Virus Checker on the PC running IMWS blocking something
- Firewall on the PC running IMWS blocking something

The log files look OK. No errors or warnings.
If you can connect to IMWS from the same PC running IMWS but not from another PC in your network, check this:

A) Can you reach the PC running IMWS via ping using the a) computer name or b) only the IP address?

If only the IP address works, make sure to update the imwsUrl option in the config.json configuration file to use the IP address and not the computer name.
This option tells the WebBrowser how to connect to IMWS. See the IMatch Anywhere Admin documentation for details about this and all other options in the configuration file.

B) If you can reach the PC via ping but not connect to IMWS via the browser, check the Firewall settings on the PC running IMWS.
IMWS creates a default rule in the Windows firewall during installation which allows access from the local network.
If you use a 3rd party firewall or a virus checker with some sort of "network protection" it may interfere and block access.
You should see messages in your 3rd party firewall, the Windows event log or your virus checker logs in that case.

Installations usually upgrade cleanly from the latest version.
But when you have installed an old trial somewhen a year ago, who knows? So much changes in a year.
It is not really supported to install multiple trial versions on the same machine. I don't test this extensively.

For example, configuration files are only created when they do not exist (first trial installation) but not when you install a trial again a year later.
It would be really bad to overwrite configuration files modified by the user...

If the configuration options have changed in the mean time, the Admin / IT personnell must make the required changes - or ensure a clean un-install, including the already created configuration files before installing a later trial version.

Please understand that I cannot anticipate and prepare for all possible installation scenarios.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

musashi77

QuoteIf something does not work, from experience, it is either:

- Name resolution in the network (the PC running IMWS cannot be accessed via its name but only via its IP address - most common in Apple networks)
- Virus Checker on the PC running IMWS blocking something
- Firewall on the PC running IMWS blocking something

After further troubleshooting it looks like the access issue is no sorted. All the firewall rules were added ofcourse by the install and manully again, however it was all to no avial if the network Im connected to is set to 'public' and all the rules are obviosuly set for 'private'. So happy that parts out of the way.

Ill be back in an hour or two (after getting the kids ready and into bed) to look closer at the account accessing the files on the server problem.

musashi77

So Ive spent the past day or two thinking about the user permissions, I've read over the user guide over a few times and still don't understand how I can configure this to work correctly, my set up I don't think is that un-common.

the set up:
Server 2012: File Share 'PICS' hosts all my photos. There is a 'user' account with access on this server.
Windows 10: This computer has a Mapped drive to the share 'PICS' using the credentials 'user' from the Server.

So the issue I have is iMatch anywhere is running under my local user account on Win10, so I created a new local account 'IMWS' and use this to run the service on the Win10 computer, however this ofcourse does not work as the the server doesn't know of the account and therefore can't access the share. The account that does have access resides on the server, but the local computer doesn't know of it so is unable to use. So I'm left with accounts at each location but neither being able to be used on the other.
Hope all of this is making sense.
So the question I have is how do I get an account on my local that has access required on the server side? I can't figure that part out.
Any help or guidance will be much appreciated, as I feel I must be overlooking something that's staring right at me..

Mario

In 90% of all use cases, the default setup IMWS is installed with works. Only when your images are on a remote machine, you need to change the user account for the IMWS service.

You need to run IMWS under a user account which has access to the share on the remote machine.
If your user account has access, you can run IMWS under your account. Just make sure your account has the "log on as a service" privilege so it can be used to run a service.
See the IMatch Anywhere Administrator documentation for more info.

Otherwise, create a new user account with the required privileges and access to all resources IMWS needs, and run the IMWS service under that account. How to create a new account depends on your Windows version, your network setup, if you run an ADS etc. See the Microsoft Windows documentation on user accounts for full information.

I'm not sure how I can help further, because this all depends on your configuration and network environment. Ask your IT people for support and advise.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

David_H

Quote from: musashi77 on September 17, 2020, 03:36:34 PM
Server 2012: File Share 'PICS' hosts all my photos. There is a 'user' account with access on this server.
Windows 10: This computer has a Mapped drive to the share 'PICS' using the credentials 'user' from the Server.

So the issue I have is iMatch anywhere is running under my local user account on Win10, so I created a new local account 'IMWS' and use this to run the service on the Win10 computer, however this ofcourse does not work as the the server doesn't know of the account and therefore can't access the share. The account that does have access resides on the server, but the local computer doesn't know of it so is unable to use. So I'm left with accounts at each location but neither being able to be used on the other.
Hope all of this is making sense.
So the question I have is how do I get an account on my local that has access required on the server side? I can't figure that part out.

Assuming the machines are NOT domain joined (if they are, use a domain account!).

Ensure you have an account with the same username AND password on both machines (so if IMWS exists on WIN10 with password 12345, you need a user IMWS on SERVER2012 with password 12345).
Make sure the share is accessible to the user.

If your files are accessed through a path that won't work (eg a mapped drive - P:\Pictures instead of \\SERVER2012\Share\Pictures\) then setup a relocation rule (Edit->Preferences->Database->Portability Options; add appropriate rules (eg for SERVER2012, relocate P: to \\SERVER2012\Share\Pictures).
IMA may take slightly longer to start up the first time (as it'll do the relocate).

I hope some of that might be of some use!

Mario

Also keep in mind that drive mappings (M:) are per-user in Windows. Prefer UNC shares over mapped drives for IMWS and cross-computer usage.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

musashi77

Thanks Mario,
Yes, as I mentioned in my original post, I did change all the files to UNC as they were all originally via a mapped drive (using the "relocate" option to change to UNC).

Still I dont know how I get a account access from this computer?

Mario

QuoteStill I dont know how I get a account access from this computer?

You mean IMWS on PC "A" cannot access folders on PC "B", even after you have created an user account with the correct privileges and configured the IMWS service to run under this account?
But you can access IMWS via IMatch Anywhere WebViewer from any PC in your network?
In that case it is a Windows security issue and some privilege is missing for the new user account.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

musashi77

QuoteEnsure you have an account with the same username AND password on both machines (so if IMWS exists on WIN10 with password 12345, you need a user IMWS on SERVER2012 with password 12345).
Make sure the share is accessible to the user.

If your files are accessed through a path that won't work (eg a mapped drive - P:\Pictures instead of \\SERVER2012\Share\Pictures\) then setup a relocation rule (Edit->Preferences->Database->Portability Options; add appropriate rules (eg for SERVER2012, relocate P: to \\SERVER2012\Share\Pictures).
IMA may take slightly longer to start up the first time (as it'll do the relocate).

Thankyou David_H, this is exactly the info I was looking for. Apologies for failing to mention that this is a non-domain environment. 

So following the above steps, I've got to the "Portability options", and selecting 'Add' does nothing at all.
The other problem is I am unable to select the drive in the rules section, whether I select Disk or Folder I am unable to select the top level, and selecting Disk appears to revert to Folder selection (see screenshot)

David_H

Quote from: musashi77 on September 18, 2020, 04:28:37 PM
So following the above steps, I've got to the "Portability options", and selecting 'Add' does nothing at all.
The other problem is I am unable to select the drive in the rules section, whether I select Disk or Folder I am unable to select the top level, and selecting Disk appears to revert to Folder selection (see screenshot)

Type the name of the server machine in, eg server2012 - press add, it should then change to uppercase.
Click new.
Put your source FOLDER or DISK in (eg p:\photos)  - if you use the picker, the dashed box is for things NOT in your database (eg the root folder  - p:), expand it until you get to a full box (eg p:\Photos)
Type the UNC path in the TARGET eg (\\Server2012\PhotoShare\Photos). Do NOT use the picker.
Click OK.
Click OK.

Go back into the dialog and make sure that the relocation options are shown.

I just relocate the entire disk (disk p: goes to  \\server\share ).

Good luck!

Mario

If you cannot select the disk/media/share in the dialog, I recommend you just type in the name by hand or do a quick copy/paste from Windows Explorer or the IMatch Media & Folders View.
You can only select folders in this dialog, which is also the most frequent source/target for relocation. Just relocate the top-level folders as needed. See the Portability Options help topics for details.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

musashi77

Success, finally. I was focused so much on the picker that it never occurred to me that I could just type in the Computer names and shares.
Finally I can now log into IMA without seeing any error notifications prompting me to go to the Admin area.

My wife will be happy, she can now start easily going through all the hundreds of kids photos we have taken over the years and pick (flag) or star her favorites an start the photo book projects she's been wanting to do.

Thanks so much guys, appreciate the help and prompt replies.

And special shout out to Mario on an awesome product, I'm a Lightroom user but more and more need to find a solution for better access for my wife and IMatch + Imatch Anywhere is perfect for our needs at home moving forward. I look forward to slowly importing my 200k+ photo collection digging deeper into its many many features.

Mario

Excellent! Now have some fun with IMatch and IMatch Anywhere.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

supam.viennot

I could not start the latest version of IMatch WebService (Home).

I am getting the message that a session could not be opened. Resseting to default the advanced option does not resolve the issue.

I would welcome any tip...

Mario

It seems you have only updated IMatch, but not IMatch Anywhere.
IMWS reports:

Failed to open the database C:\Databases\IMatch 6 - Copie.imd5 in writable mode.

Please make sure that you always install IMatch Anywhere updates (if available) when you install an IMatch update.
The latest version of IMatch Anywhere is 2019.11.12, released on the same day as IMatch 2020.11.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

supam.viennot

I confirm using the latest version from nov 11th.

I tried a reinstall for no clear reason but just to be sure. 

Same issue remains.

Mario

Do you have the database open in IMatch?
If IMWS cannot open the database in writable mode the database is either open in IMatch or locked by another application (?) or the user under which you run IMWS does not have write permissions to the folder containing the database file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

supam.viennot

I do not have the database opened in IMatch. I follow your advice to use a copy. To my best effort, there is no other app accessing the file (back up is paused, folder is excluded from virus checker, I even completely disabled the AV for one try..)
I checked user right and they all are fine under just one same user.
Latest versions are installed of both IMatch and IM Anywhere

The sequence of events where

- I mistakenly attempted to use the wrong version of IM Anywhere
- I got the classical "unable to open database" message
- I did not immediately understand I was still on the wrong version, tried to enter my user name in the advanced configuration section
- This made things durably worse: I got the message "unable to open session" and I am now stuck with it, inlcuding with the right updated version of IMAnywhere

Every attempt I later made could not take me back:
- I reset every field to default in the advanced configuration session, still getting "unable to open session"
- Finally I installed latest version of IM Anywhere. However I remain with "unable to open session"
- Attempted to delete every imwsc -like file I could find on the computer, resintalled IM Anywhere latest version, but I remain stuck at this user session thing.

supam.viennot

Here is the latest verbose log file.

Mario

Where do you get the "unable to open session" message?
I cannot find this text in the controller, IMWS or the WebViewer.

Does IMWS still report that it cannot open the database in writable mode?
Does the service start now?

All IMWS settings are stored in the file C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatchAnywhere\IMWS\imwsconfig.xml. Show me this file (attach) and also the WebService controller log file (in the %TEMP%) folder and the IMWS log file (in c:\windows\temp). The details and file names are explained in the documentation (press F1 in the controller application).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

You have attached a log file after I've replied.
The service fails to start. Windows reports:

"L'échec d'une ouverture de session a empêché le démarrage du service."

which translates to

"A failed login prevented the service from starting."

Do you run the IMatch WebService under a different user account?
By default it runs under "LocalSystem" but you may have configured a different user account when you need IMWS to access images on another computer.
Maybe this user account is invalid now?
You can check the user account by opening the Windows Services app (type services into the START menu search bar).#
See the IMatch Anywhere help for more info. Click on the "Service User Account" in the help navigation on the right.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

supam.viennot

I got IMA to work by changing manually the user account in "Services". Screen shot attached with before.jpg and after my manual change

Please note that the initial change was done by IMA when I wrongly entered some data in the advanced configuration field. IMA does not seem to come back to default user account when advanced configuration fields are reset to default. Maybe a minor issue to correct in future versions?

Many thanks for the real time support. I appreciate very much.

Mario

Since this is security relevant, Windows may not allow to "reset" the user. The ability to directly set the user (or set another user) in the WebService controller has been added as a convenience feature. There is no really a way to "remove" a service user account, except in the Windows Service application. This is advanced "Admin stuff".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Conrad Vispo

FYI, just to say that I had exactly the same problem with an install on a new Windows 10 computer. I could see IMWS on that computer's browser, but not on any other networked computer. Firewalls and antivirus seemed OK.

Checking under properties of IMWS in the "services" panel of Windows (as musashi did) revealed that Local System Access was checked but the box below that ("Allow service to interact with desktop") was not. Activating that box seemed to solve my problem.

Thanks to all for the posting.

Mario

IMWS does not display any messages and does not receive user input. It usually does not require "allow to interact..."
The user under which IMWS is running must have the "act as service" privilege, which is the case for the default LocalSystem account IMWS uses when installed.

If you cannot access the IMWS web server from other computers in your network via the computer name but via the IP address, your name resolution is not working properly (typically for Apple products, which often don't support common network protocols).

If you cannot access the IMWS at all, check the firewall settings on the machine running IMWS and if you are in a corporate network, as your IT folks to check group policies etc.

In 99% of all cases, an IMWS install runs out of the box, as installed.
If it fails, the typical problems are accessing files on other computer (needs a specific user as documented) or firewall / 'security' issues.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator