No Shutter Speed and F-Stop in File Windows Tip

Started by tomiga, August 15, 2020, 08:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomiga

Hi,
In File Windows Tip there is no F-Stop (aparture) nor Shutter speed information (there is only ISO displayed).
I have check setting (default one) and it looks like

Quote{File.MD.Composite\Aperture\Aperture\0|prefix:<Run FontSize='14pt'>F ;postfix:</Run>}{File.MD.Composite\ShutterSpeed\ShutterSpeed\0|value:formatted;prefix:  <Run FontSize='14pt'>at ;postfix:</Run>}{File.MD.Exif::Main\34855\ISO\0|prefix: <Run FontSize='14pt'>, ISO ;postfix:</Run>}

So I would expect to see this information.
I suppose that my camera store those information in some other place than IMatch expect.

I am using Sony A6xxx cameras and other tools (like XnView) displays this information correctly.

Any suggestion how can I fixed it?

JohnZeman

Welcome to IMatch!

If you go to Edit > Preferences > File Window Tip you can customize the file window tip to be whatever you want it to be.  I've attached a photo of mine to this.

See: https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#rmh_config_filewindowtip.htm
For more information.

JohnZeman

Here is the row in my file tip that shows f-stop and shutter speed amongst other settings (I shoot Canon, my file tip configuration may be a little different than what you'll need to use for Sony).

<Run Foreground='#cccccc' FontWeight='Normal' FontSize='14'>Aperture:</Run> <Bold>{File.MD.Exif::Main\37378\ApertureValue\0}         <Run Foreground='#cccccc' FontWeight='Normal' FontSize='14'>Shutter Speed:</Run> {File.MD.Exif::Main\37377\ShutterSpeedValue\0|value:formatted;}         <Run Foreground='#cccccc' FontWeight='Normal' FontSize='14'>Focal Length:</Run> {File.MD.Exif::Main\37386\FocalLength\0}         <Run Foreground='#cccccc' FontWeight='Normal' FontSize='14'>Exposure Mode:</Run> {File.MD.XMP::exif\ExposureMode\ExposureMode\0|replace:0==Auto; replace:1==Manual;}</Bold>

ubacher

QuoteI suppose that my camera store those information in some other place than IMatch expect.

List all metadata using the exiftool command processor to see where the info is stored.
I suspect that exiftool does not recognize your camera and thus not populate the COMPOSITE fields.

tomiga

Quote from: ubacher on August 16, 2020, 08:49:10 AM
QuoteI suppose that my camera store those information in some other place than IMatch expect.

List all metadata using the exiftool command processor to see where the info is stored.
I suspect that exiftool does not recognize your camera and thus not populate the COMPOSITE fields.

Thanks for useful answer. But I am afraid I need some more detailed guideline

I have check exiftool command and I found few places where interesting information are stored

[ExifIFD]       Exposure Time                   : 1/250
[ExifIFD]       F Number                        : 9.0
[ExifIFD]       ISO                             : 400
[Composite]     Aperture                        : 9.0
[Composite]     Shutter Speed                   : 1/250

My profile currently looks like below
{File.MD.Composite\Aperture\Aperture\0|prefix:<Run FontSize='14pt'>F ;postfix:</Run>}
{File.MD.Composite\ShutterSpeed\ShutterSpeed\0|value:formatted;prefix:  <Run FontSize='14pt'>at ;postfix:</Run>}
{File.MD.Exif::Main\34855\ISO\0|prefix: <Run FontSize='14pt'>, ISO ;postfix:</Run>}

And only ISO is displayed. But I totally not understand what syntax is used here  especially magic numbers like 34855
{File.MD.Exif::Main\34855\ISO\0|prefix: <Run FontSize='14pt'>, ISO ;postfix:</Run>}

Aperture and Shutter speeds definition looks familiar but they do not work. How to fix this syntax (or where it is described).

UPDATE:
I have extended my settings with
{File.MD.Exif::Main\37378\ApertureValue\0|prefix: <Run FontSize='14pt'>, F ;postfix:</Run>}
{File.MD.Exif::Main\37377\ShutterSpeedValue\0|value:formatted;prefix:  <Run FontSize='14pt'>at ;postfix:</Run>}

but still no results are displayed.

Mario

Does IMatch show this information in the Metadata Panel, in the Default layout?
You should see something like in the image in the attachment below.

If IMatch does not show any EXIF data, something has gone wrong with the import of the file - and no variables will work.

Select the image in a File Window and press Shift+Ctrl+F5. Use the "Reload Metadata" option.
Does this change anything?

If possible, upload a sample image (DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive, ...) which shows this behavior somewhere. Having a file here for testing makes things easier.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

My setting for this is:
{File.MD.Composite\Exif::Aperture\Aperture\0|prefix:<Run FontSize='18pt'>F ;postfix:</Run>}{File.MD.Composite\Exif::ShutterSpeed\ShutterSpeed\0|value:formatted;prefix:  <Run FontSize='16pt'>at ;postfix:</Run>}{File.MD.Exif::Main\34855\ISO\0|prefix: <Run FontSize='16pt'>, ISO ;postfix:</Run>} {File.MD.photools.com::IMatch\1510\cameraname\0}

tomiga

Quote from: Mario on August 16, 2020, 11:16:40 AM
Does IMatch show this information in the Metadata Panel, in the Default layout?
You should see something like in the image in the attachment below.

If IMatch does not show any EXIF data, something has gone wrong with the import of the file - and no variables will work.

Select the image in a File Window and press Shift+Ctrl+F5. Use the "Reload Metadata" option.
Does this change anything?

If possible, upload a sample image (DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive, ...) which shows this behavior somewhere. Having a file here for testing makes things easier.

I attached file with Metadata all info are available.
I do not think this is reload problem (it is not display anywhere in over 100 000 files).

Link to the example file:
https://files.mycloud.com/home.php?brand=webfiles&seuuid=ff9cd50a21984b303985304ba7a7692d&name=DSC04324

Mario

Looks OK.
Right click on the "Shutter Speed" entry in the MD panel and then choose "Copy as Variable".
Then paste this variable into your FW layout or the tooltip to see the same information there.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

tomiga

Quote from: Mario on August 16, 2020, 04:26:11 PM
Looks OK.
Right click on the "Shutter Speed" entry in the MD panel and then choose "Copy as Variable".
Then paste this variable into your FW layout or the tooltip to see the same information there.

Great it works now! This kind of help I was expected (I didn't know that you can copy metadata as parameter). Nice feature :)

Additional questions.
1. Why it is not default value and it needs to be modified? (there are such differences between manufactures in standard EXIF?)
2. I have seen some parameter sets for Nikon and Canon maybe you can consider make similar default set for Sony mirrorless users (currently Sony is the second most popular camera manufacture it jump over the Nikon in 2019 sales numbers)

Thanks Mario for help.

Mario

Is this a new IMatch installation or an older database? Usually this works out-of-the-box.

The default File Window tip preset uses

{File.MD.Composite\Exif::Aperture\Aperture\0|prefix:<Run FontSize='14pt'>F ;postfix:</Run>}{File.MD.Composite\Exif::ShutterSpeed\ShutterSpeed\0|value:formatted;prefix:  <Run FontSize='14pt'>at ;postfix:</Run>}{File.MD.Exif::Main\34855\ISO\0|prefix: <Run FontSize='14pt'>, ISO ;postfix:</Run>}

which works great.

"Parameter sets" for what and where?
Do you mean file format extension specific File Window Tips?
There is one for Sony. Actually, there is one for any extension IMatch supports. Just select it from the list.
And yes, Sony is special. All camera vendors produce their own metadata and don't document it or provide developer support. Which is why we all should be very thankful for ExifTool.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

tomiga

Quote from: Mario on August 16, 2020, 07:25:01 PM
Is this a new IMatch installation or an older database? Usually this works out-of-the-box.

The default File Window tip preset uses

{File.MD.Composite\Exif::Aperture\Aperture\0|prefix:<Run FontSize='14pt'>F ;postfix:</Run>}{File.MD.Composite\Exif::ShutterSpeed\ShutterSpeed\0|value:formatted;prefix:  <Run FontSize='14pt'>at ;postfix:</Run>}{File.MD.Exif::Main\34855\ISO\0|prefix: <Run FontSize='14pt'>, ISO ;postfix:</Run>}

which works great.

"Parameter sets" for what and where?
Do you mean file format extension specific File Window Tips?
There is one for Sony. Actually, there is one for any extension IMatch supports. Just select it from the list.
And yes, Sony is special. All camera vendors produce their own metadata and don't document it or provide developer support. Which is why we all should be very thankful for ExifTool.

So my defaults were different (you can check it in first post there were no \Exif part in path) only ISO was working (and was the same as in your default).

The database was created in IMatch 2018. After that I have made updates to newer versions of applications.

I was talking about File Window Tip -> Variable Selector -> Tag Selector -> Group Name Containas

But now I understand it has a bit different purpose than I expected (it just filtering of values specific for manufacture) but still there is no Sony there ;)

Mario

QuoteThe database was created in IMatch 2018. After that I have made updates to newer versions of applications.

This explains this. ExifTool has changed some of the Composite tag names several months ago, which impacted existing installations. I've explained that in the release notes at the time and instructed users to update their variables accordingly. Which you apparently did miss, and hence this problem. Do you read the release notes?

ExifTool arranges tags into several hundred groups, to get the 15,000 or so tags manageable. IMatch utilizes that and allows users to filter for group names like "EXIF" or "XMP" to reduce the number of tags shown in the tag selector.

Of course all this is explained in the Tag Manager help, which I can only recommend to consult in case of questions.

The Tag Manager

Also, as part of the general metadata topic, I explain about tags and groups in Tags and Groups
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

tomiga

Quote from: Mario on August 16, 2020, 08:49:37 PM
QuoteThe database was created in IMatch 2018. After that I have made updates to newer versions of applications.

This explains this. ExifTool has changed some of the Composite tag names several months ago, which impacted existing installations. I've explained that in the release notes at the time and instructed users to update their variables accordingly. Which you apparently did miss, and hence this problem. Do you read the release notes?

ExifTool arranges tags into several hundred groups, to get the 15,000 or so tags manageable. IMatch utilizes that and allows users to filter for group names like "EXIF" or "XMP" to reduce the number of tags shown in the tag selector.

Of course all this is explained in the Tag Manager help, which I can only recommend to consult in case of questions.

The Tag Manager

Also, as part of the general metadata topic, I explain about tags and groups in Tags and Groups

Thanks for useful links.
I have briefly checked release notes but didn't realised its impact on "real life".
In general IMatch taking into account how complicated this software is and how much options it have is quite user friendly (so no need to read a tons of documentation to start using it) and you know the user manual is last thing which users read ;)

Once more thanks for quick responses and help.