Author Topic: Add / remove pin applied to wrong image in viewer  (Read 133 times)

monochrome

Add / remove pin applied to wrong image in viewer
« on: July 31, 2020, 06:07:57 PM »
When the DB is a bit slow and there is a delay between pressing "g" (for Green pin) and the pin appearing, it's possible to have the keypress apply to a different image than the one that is shown.

1. Open the viewer with multiple images. Say you're viewing a.jpg.
2. Press "g", and before the pin appears, scroll to the next image using (b.jpg) the mouse wheel.
3. Wait a little bit and the green pin is applied to the currently open image, b.jpg, not the image that was open when the key was pressed.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Add / remove pin applied to wrong image in viewer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 06:22:45 PM »
With what do you keep your database, IMatch, the Viewer and your system so busy that Windows delays keystrokes? Very unusual.

monochrome

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 07:19:24 PM »
Nothing. I think it's IMatch that's fast to switch photos, and slow to react to the keypress.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 07:57:59 PM »
Well, updating a collection, updating the file window, category panel and all other visual elements in IMatch may take a few milliseconds. And IMatch adds a short delay (50m) after you click the collection gadget to debounce the operation. I'm sure when I keep the finger on the scroll wheel and scroll in the right moment, I can use that short delay to scroll to the next file while Windows is still processing the click event. But I have never tried this. And since this came never up before, I doubt that this is a problem for many users.

I probably could prevent this specific situation but this would make Viewer use much less convenient for all users. Not sure if this would be worth it.
I shall have a look when there is a free time slot...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:17:46 PM by Mario »

monochrome

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 09:31:57 AM »
This is not a "millisecond" type delay. It's more like it takes a full second or two from the physical keypress until the green pin shows up, so there's plenty of time to press, scroll, and look for the pin to pop up. Also, all other keypresses are instant - if I use the cursor keys to switch between images, there is no perceptible delay.

Another observation: if I press "g" and then "cursor right" in the viewer (as in, press "g", release "g", press "right" release "right", as if typing), no green pin is added, but I go to the next image.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:34:55 AM by monochrome »

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 02:11:59 PM »
I'm quite sure you experience this only with the green pin, right?
Not with flags, rating, dots, bookmarks or red or blue pins, correct?

The problem is that there is a keyboard shortcut overlap. <G>, in combination with G,0,R,T (like G,R) is used to toggle the Viewer grid display.
Hence the Viewer waits for a second after you have pressed <G> to determine what you actually want to do.

The only solution would be to change the all Grid keyboard shortcuts, or the shortcut for the green pin. E is used for the blue pin for similar reasons.
Not sure how many users in addition to you are affected by this specific issue. I don't recall similar reports so not many users seem to use the green pin in the Viewer. Or they just click on the pin...not sure...

monochrome

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 04:42:31 PM »
I'm quite sure you experience this only with the green pin, right?
Not with flags, rating, dots, bookmarks or red or blue pins, correct?

Yes on both.

Yes, that looks like the cause.

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 06:08:41 PM »
I have changed the grid lead-in shortcut to <Shift>+<G>. This solves this issue and since the grid is rarely used or switched, should be OK for all users.