DxO not opening file

Started by Aubrey, July 15, 2020, 03:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

There are quite a lot of DxO users using IMatch so I thought I would post my issue here. It's to do with some jpg from a Canon.
Looking on DxO forum and here I know that there has been a lot of discussion loading CR3 files
I have JPG images which are fine viewed in IMatch and also load into Affinity photo. They won't load in DxO.

I get the message:
"this image cannot be processed since its exif data cannot be read or is corrupted"

I tried deleting all exif data and loading that file - no success
Loading into Affinity exporting tiff from affinity and loading into DxO... no joy!

I've attached one of the files here (just an example with no family members)

Any ideas?

Thanks
Aubrey.

Carlo Didier

Do you have the corresponding raw file? If yes, does that open correctly? Then you could just create a new JPG from it.

Carlo Didier

Just tested you file. I don't have DxO, but Photoshop, ON1 Photo Raw and CaptureOne opened it without issue.
No Exif information visible in ON1 or C1. No ISO, shutter speed, aperture, nothing.

sinus

Quote from: Carlo Didier on July 15, 2020, 03:26:30 PM
Just tested you file. I don't have DxO, but Photoshop, ON1 Photo Raw and CaptureOne opened it without issue.
No Exif information visible in ON1 or C1. No ISO, shutter speed, aperture, nothing.

I can open it with Photoshop, no problem, but no RGB, not exif, not data, as far as I can see.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

herman

Quote from: Aubrey on July 15, 2020, 03:10:54 PM
[...]
I get the message:
"this image cannot be processed since its exif data cannot be read or is corrupted"

I see this message occasionally when I send images in multiple batches from IMatch to DxO Photo Lab (v. 3.3.0 build 4391).

In my case it clears when I close and start DPL again.

It is something that I don't recall having seen before, seems like a memory issue in DPL 3.3 to me.

FWIW I am working with DNG files (produced by my cameras, so they are raw files actually).

[edit]
@Aubrey:
As far as I know the forum software strips metadata (EXIF?) from posted images.
When you would like other members to test using a problem image it is better to zip it before you attach it to a post, that way it remains intact.

Enjoy!

Herman.

jch2103

Quote from: Aubrey on July 15, 2020, 03:10:54 PM
I've attached one of the files here (just an example with no family members)
The forum software here strips metadata from jpg files. You'll need to zip it for anyone to be able to see metadata. I have DxO; will try opening a zipped version if available.
[Sorry: herman ninja'd me!]

John

Aubrey

Thank you all for your replies.
As soon as I read Carlo's comment on missing exif data I remembered that the forum strips these data!
The file was only recorded in jpg. Using a Canon DIGITA IXUS IIs camera (I am pretty sure it only recorded jpgs!). Image is from October 2006.

I've tried reloading Photolab 3 same issue of not recognizing.

I'm attaching the zipped version of the image AOC_IXUS_IIs_061021_0051.JPG
Also in the zip file is an image that does load: KMR_IXUS_IIs_061028_0066.JPG

I note that the image that does load shows the lens as unknown 5-10 mm, other than that the exif is similar.

Aubrey.

Mario

No problems loading/viewing these files in

IMatch
Photoshop (always very picky)
Affinity Photo
Windows Photo Viewer
Paint Shop Pro 5 (ancient, but still working)
Windows Explorer

Metadata looks good.
No complaints from ExifTool.
The metadata was written/updated by IMatch 2020.5.*

It's probably again one of those annoying DxO issues...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Thank you Mario.
I never thought it was IMatch!
As you said I had opened it in Affinity...
Ther are a number of files around the same date that don't open. The only fifference between those that open and don't is the lens is written as unknown in files that open.

I'll follow up on the Dxo forum tomorrow.

Winfried

I had a look at the files too:
- an outdated exifutility PhotoMe complains.
To my opinion there might be something wrong with interpreting the manufacturer string

- Software   "PictureProject Export Utility W" was used with this file? Nikon Software for Canon file?

Maybe this software messed something up within the manufacturer part of the exif

Winfried

jch2103

@Aubrey -

I took a look at both images in DxO Photoshop 3. The landscape photo, as you said, generates the 'Loading error' message, but the flower photo doesn't, although DxO says there's no DxO Optics Module for either photo. Looking through the DxO Module list I don't see any entries for Canon DIGITAL IXUS.

Winfried noted that that IMatch reports 'PictureProject Export Utility W' as 'Software' for the landscape image. It does appear that it messed up some of the metadata that DxO depends on to recognize images. As you noted, the 'Lens' data is messed up for that image, but it is present for the flower image: '5.4 - 10.8 mm'.

Taking a deeper dive into the metadata for the images, the 'Flower' image has a lot more metadata including Canon metadata tags (see ECP 'List Metadata' dumps for both images, attached; 209 metadata tags for 'Flower' but only 97 metadata tags for 'Landscape'). This just reinforces the conclusion that 'PictureProject Export Utility W' or some other software corrupted the 'Landscape' photo metadata. Some older Nikon software had a bad reputation for these kinds of problems, although I think Nikon does a better job these days.

DxO is indeed very picky about the images it will process, but interestingly it will accept non-camera jpg images like computer screen captures. I tried using the ExifTool Command Processor to delete all metadata from a copy of the landscape image; result: DxO PhotoLab 3 will open the image (although obviously w/o any metadata).

John

Aubrey

Well spotted by Winifred.
I've checked my IMatch db and yes, it looks like any image that has been touched by PictureProject Export utility  cannot be read by DxO. I don't even remember what was this software (found some info on Google search) I must have used it at some point before finding IMatch.
Anyway my workaround is simply to copy image I'm interested in, strip off metadata (as suggested) and load into DxO. TI suspect I can copy original metadata back into resultant tiff (not critical)

Thank you all for your assistance and suggestions.
Aubrey.