Category-formulas shows errors, though the works since years

Started by sinus, June 11, 2020, 08:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi Mario
not sure, if this is a bug.
In the last time (unfortunately I do not know, since when, I would say, since 3-4 month) I had from time to time errors on my category-formulas.
They show an error, and the "count of files" show "0" - see my screenshot 1.

But these categories works since I do not now, how many years.
I did no changes, nothing, they worked simply.

But now these errors (the red icon) appears say once from 10-15 IMatch-sessions.
Here are e.g. 2 of the formulas, but as I said, they have been here successfully since years.

("@Collection[Relations|Version|NEF Versioning]"OR "@Collection[Relations|Version|JPG-als-master]") AND "@Collection[Bookmarks]" AND"@Collection[Flags|On]" AND "@Collection[Pins|Red]" AND "@Collection[Dots|None]"

("@Collection[Relations|Version|NEF Versioning]"OR "@Collection[Relations|Version|JPG-als-master]") AND "@Collection[Bookmarks]" AND"@Collection[Flags|On]" AND "@Collection[Pins|Red]" AND ("@Collection[Dots|Red]" OR "@Collection[Dots|Green]" OR "@Collection[Dots|Blue]")

Maybe a month ago, I deleted simply such a category, but now the error seems to be in more then one category.
After "refresh the view" sometimes the categories works again, sometimes not.

For example yesterday (and the last days) these categories worked correct and fine, because I used them.
Today they show errors, though I have not touched them.

I just now did a F5, but it helped not.
Now I go into such a category-formuala, I do nothing then open (see screenshot) the formula-editor and press ok.

And voila, see screenshot, today it works: ALL categories are again ok, though I opend the formula-editor only for one formual.

But I did this in the past, sometimes this worked, sometimes not.
Sometimes the error was even here after a IMatch-end and start again.

But mostly this "end-start IMatch" worked.

Do you have an idea? Did I miss an change hiere?
It is not that important, because it occurs not that often, but it irritates me a bit.  8)

log-file also attached.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

The IMatch engine reports several times "Collection not found.", it would guess the collection "NEF Versioning".
IMatch calculates collections on demand, and it seems you are using dynamic collections based on file versioning in category formulas. This is of course super super complicated and maybe IMatch is not finished calculating all your dynamic collections when your category formulas try to access them. I would generally not recommend using dynamically created collections in category formulas.

Since collections based on file relations are dynamically created, they may vanish if there are no files anymore in the collection. Have you checked that?

Also keep in mind that complex category formulas like the one you use, which force IMatch to update collections all the time in the background, may impact the overall performance of IMatch substantially.
Especially when IMatch has to process 300,000 files for each collection. All the time, when the category comes into view or is used somehow.

This will be very complicated and very time-consuming for me to track down. I recommend you post a bug report so I can schedule time for a later version.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on June 11, 2020, 09:41:46 AM
The IMatch engine reports several times "Collection not found.", it would guess the collection "NEF Versioning".
IMatch calculates collections on demand, and it seems you are using dynamic collections based on file versioning in category formulas. This is of course super super complicated and maybe IMatch is not finished calculating all your dynamic collections when your category formulas try to access them. I would generally not recommend using dynamically created collections in category formulas.

Since collections based on file relations are dynamically created, they may vanish if there are no files anymore in the collection. Have you checked that?

This will be very complicated and very time-consuming for me to track down. I recommend you post a bug report so I can schedule time for a later version.

Thanks, Mario

I will check this and maybe change something.
It is not a problem for me, because IMatch offers a lot of possibilities, no problem to use another way.

I wrote it only, because exactly these formulas worked really without any problems and without changes for years, really for years.
I have never seen this, except before, say 2,3,4 month.

But I would say, forget it.
I will check this and if I know more, I would write again!
Thanks for looking into it that quickly.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

I could so far not reproduce this.
Let us know via a bug report when you find steps to reproduce this.
Simplify your categories if you run into performance issues. Your database is becoming bigger and even IMatch cannot do wonders. Updating a category from 300,000 files takes twice as long +x than updating a category for 150,000 files. And that for all categories. And collections. And categories using formulas based on collections which are based on file versioning which is based on ...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook